GodOfVengeance
Elite Member

February 12th, 2013, 6:16 am #11

Just to add some information,
In my map Revolution I have a threeway-connected invisible bridge including an invisible staircase. What I have noticed is that all the bots know their way around it and actually use it aswell if they want to. Especially when playing Thief and/or placing items on the invisible bridge(s). If they aren't too "complicated", bots should be able to use them without any problems.

Also, invisible bridges do not really take up alot of space. You make one intangible tile (most likely #31) and add #27/#28's on top of it (depending on the floor/height) and/or place a threeway tile #11 or just three tile #1's, #2's or any tiles alike.

The way I see this map being made in the mapmaker would be to use the "towers" as good as possible. Meaning, using them to take as much space as possible compared to the sky glitches around the map (if you're going for the out of space theme). When playing on PS2/Xbox, you could use pitch black lighted rooms to simulate the space area (like Lost In Space). All in all, if tweaked enough, I think a possible decent remake could be possible.
Pure Perfection.

mtcp122
Advanced Member

February 12th, 2013, 8:43 am #12

Yea, I'll need to shrink the map size. probably just 2 buildings top and a platform on the bottom of the map like in the video because a lot of memory will probably be taken up by the huge number of sky glitches required =/ we really need these games on modern consoles to really increase the memory limits.

Le_Faucheur
Hardcore Member
Le_Faucheur
Hardcore Member

February 16th, 2013, 4:19 pm #13

it has some strong similarities with Lost in space. the map was inspired by Fall Factor from Red Faction 2, but I used teleports instead of jump pads.
the military tilesets is best for jumps. you can jump to a spot which is one tile away and one floor lower. it also works on egyptian, but it's a bit harder. on any other tileset the jump will be too short. I think it only works on PAL. if you use speed pickups, maybe you can make jumps 2 tiles wide. you can check the map automatiks 2 by arcticoblivion on youtube. I think I also posted it here quite recently in multiplayer maps.

mtcp122
Advanced Member

February 16th, 2013, 10:15 pm #14

Yea, I'm in the process of making it. I'm going to be using a combination of speed pickups and teleporters in order to make it. And yea, I actually have made lost in space and it's quite popular with my friends so I figured I may as well try to make another map that is somewhat like it and then I stumbled across this map.

mtcp122
Advanced Member

February 17th, 2013, 6:32 am #15

So I'm just about done. It's turning out to be more like Tokyo Rooftops more than anything just instead of using bridges you just jump to a center platform to get from building to building. I only have 2 buildings. It was going to be 3 buildings but I just feel like that would make it too big. Especially since I'm hoping a huge aspect of this map would be capture the bag, it would render a lot of empty space, making a third building pointless. I'm just trying to get the lighting right, and make it more bot friendly. Any more advice? If people want I can try to upload a video. I don't have any dedicated recording software so it'll come out not looking too great.

mtcp122
Advanced Member

February 17th, 2013, 8:03 am #16

So it's officially done. I'm done with the lighting and all that stuff. I'm trying to get a balanced bot set but the map is fully playable. I did notice that a bot would occasionally get stuck on a wall, but it isn't all that bad because it tends to be on one of the upper floors where they can shoot out of the windows so they actually pick people off as they try to make the "jump" to the teleporter that will take them to the other base which actually makes it fairly difficult if one of them has a plasma auto-rifle.

Confirmation of reply: