admiralhowdy's Mapmaker Utility (Alternative to Struan's)

admiralhowdy
Hardcore Member
admiralhowdy
Hardcore Member

December 27th, 2006, 11:25 pm #1

I had an idea to try to make a basic "mapmaker helper" that is both
comprehensive (with story and lighting elements, extra floors, merging tiles
possible, etc.) as well as precise (with tile visuals that are more readily
interpreted than many of the in-game visuals). So far, I have this Excel
memory simulator. EDIT 2/4/07: memory scrapped.

Since I'm only doing this in Excel, there is no tile rotation, etc, so every
orientation of every tile has to be selected separately. What's good about
working in a regular spreadsheet like Excel though, is that user
customization is always an option.

If you don't have Microsoft Office (with Excel), then you can download something called Open Office for free in order to use this mapmaker. It supposedly works on both PC and Mac. Here is a link:

openoffice

As for the mapmaker itself, the most current version is version 4.2. 4.0 fixed the annoying ###'s that appear after typing in the Settings text boxes, 4.1 fixed the annoying green triangles that might appear beside tile numbers, and 4.2 fixes (hopefully) diagonal doors/windows for openoffice users. 4.2 is up as of 8/20/07. Size is ~240 KB zipped:

TS3 Mapmaker Simulator version 4.2

Due to Rec Room file size limits, you should upload any map made with this mapmaker here:
(EDIT: Rec Room now accomodates the Excel attachments now, so its not necessary to house them offsite anymore)
big Excel maps

See the stickied instructions on how to link the map URL in your Rec Room post.
Gamecube/Wii TimeSplitters 2 and FP owners, all you need to share map saves is here (GC USB Memory adapter; more info found here [where they don't seem to restock in 2015]).

Undead+priest
Hardcore Member
Undead+priest
Hardcore Member

December 28th, 2006, 5:21 am #2

Hey its a pretty good work!That's a good idea.Good work admiralhowdy.

admiralhowdy
Hardcore Member
admiralhowdy
Hardcore Member

December 28th, 2006, 12:19 pm #3

Thanks U+P. I figured out how to count items last night, but doors and windows are a pain, since those would most easily just be hand-made borders. Still not necessary for map duplication, but it looks like tile and item memory will stay in.
Gamecube/Wii TimeSplitters 2 and FP owners, all you need to share map saves is here (GC USB Memory adapter; more info found here [where they don't seem to restock in 2015]).

Knives
Hardcore Member
Knives
Hardcore Member

December 28th, 2006, 3:42 pm #4

It's a great idea and it seems that you put a lot of work in this. However, most of us stopped playing TS, so I don't know if this will be of much use... sorry =/

Slugman Yo
Elite Member
Slugman Yo
Elite Member

December 28th, 2006, 7:24 pm #5

Hey...shut up...

If you're trying to make a compliment you failed miserably...

Slugs not Drugs!
My new year's resolution is to include at least one lunatic/fintron smilie face in all of my posts.

Undead+priest
Hardcore Member
Undead+priest
Hardcore Member

December 28th, 2006, 8:41 pm #6

He wasn't making a compliment he's only giving his opinion and its the truth so stop arguing about what Knives said.

admiralhowdy
Hardcore Member
admiralhowdy
Hardcore Member

December 29th, 2006, 12:00 am #7

Yeah, I know. I came in awfully late in the game, but I wanted to make it available for others like me who might come along, and others who might come back to it from time to time. Plus it could possibly be used with slight modification for the next (?) game, for cross-platform map sharing. :unsure: It's fun to try and make the thing, regardless. I started when I was trying to help that person who had that question for me a week or so ago, so I wanted to make something that could more easily duplicate someone elses's map design exactly.

Slugman Yo
Elite Member
Slugman Yo
Elite Member

December 29th, 2006, 2:55 am #8

Yeah, but does the truth always need to be told?... :right...:

Slugs not Drugs!
My new year's resolution is to include at least one lunatic/fintron smilie face in all of my posts.

Undead+priest
Hardcore Member
Undead+priest
Hardcore Member

December 29th, 2006, 7:01 am #9

Sometime its important to know the truth about something.And you're suppose to agree with what he said its true that there is not many person who still play TS even me i stopped playing...for now.

Slugman Yo
Elite Member
Slugman Yo
Elite Member

December 29th, 2006, 4:36 pm #10

Then why are you still here?

Slugs not Drugs!