Wow, that was quick!

Wow, that was quick!

March 6th, 2003, 3:03 am #1

Just yesterday I had a friend point me towards this site: http://snow.utoronto.ca/Learn2/modules.html and http://www.xs4all.nl/~pasquale/TTM/1/index.html

This was the first time I had ever heard about lucid dreaming (other than seeing it refered to on this board last week sometime - which I skipped over at the time). So yesterday I found out that you can be conscious in your dreams.

So anyway, the story goes like this. I decided that I would skip over the boring "learning" stuff like filling out a dream diary and other such wonders. I'd been remembering my dreams recently anyway. So last night, before I went to sleep I told myself that I was going to have a lucid dream. Well it worked! Not only do I distinctly remember going through four different dreams last night (supposedly there are 4-5 dream periods each night), but in the last dream period I managed to actually realise that I was in a dream. So I tested it out. And I found out I could fly. But for some reason I could get no higher than a two story house. After flying up and down my street a couple of times I went stupidly back into my bed and tried to wake myself up. All I got was a couple of false awakenings! But still, I had an incredible time simply dreaming. The funny thing is that those articles (and some of the forums I browsed) said that it took about a month to a year to get yourself to that stage!

Just thought I'd share how cool it is to dream lucidly .

Drasca
Drasca

March 6th, 2003, 4:42 am #2

Lucid dream is always fun.

Except I thought you were talking about the Red Dwarf DVDs at first :P I just got series I & II today! Woohoo!

-Drasca

March 6th, 2003, 5:31 am #3

I happened to get series 1 for my birthday (28th). Best Brittish comedy ever. :P

March 6th, 2003, 12:01 pm #4

Lucid dream is always fun.

Except I thought you were talking about the Red Dwarf DVDs at first :P I just got series I & II today! Woohoo!

-Drasca
Ask Doc just how "fun" lucid dreaming can be, especially when you're caught between rift of true sleep, and true consciousness. That, my friend, is hell.

Roland The Gunslinger
The Diablo Strategy Compendium
http://www.diablosc.com/
The Diablo Strategy Compendium Forums
http://www.diablosc.com/cgi-bin/dcboard/dcforum.cgi

March 7th, 2003, 2:49 am #5

Forgive me if my reply might be a little garbled. I aint feeling good, just had those chemical nuclear stress tests.

One of the worst dreams I had just happened recently, just the other night, March 4th, the first night of my tests. Might have been a bit more vivid then usual because of the cocktail of drugs in my system, I dunno.

It was the usual court room drama guilty dream. As usual, the room melted away, but, the subject of tonights torture was not me. It was my wife. I knew I was dreaming. I tried doing everything I could to take control. Nothing seemed to work. Little demonic imps edged closer to her with red hot pokers, condemning her for her ties with me.

I do not know how to desribe it, but, something snapped in my mind. I was partially lucid, I knew I was dreaming, and, something in my waking mind just went batshit. I lost all sense of control. Something very deep inside of me woke up. Something I have never experienced before. In the most honest sense of the words, all Hell broke loose.

I turned into a massive Thunderbird, the fierce Godlike bird of chaos and vengeance to my ancestors. Thunderbolts and lightning crackled from my wing tips, storm clouds blew from my mouth. I could not control my self. Anything and everything became a valid target. I watched in utter horror as I slew everything. It was like watching a movie set get demolished. The scenery melted away, blackness boiled forth. The platform where my wife sat melted away, and, I watched as she plummeted into what seemed infinite darkness. A billion glowing eyes peered out from the darkness. Demonic cackles filled the void. Chain lightning and white hot searing orbs flew from my talons, ripping through the countless eyes, howls of pain echoed through the nothingness. I began a downward powerdive to fetch my falling wife. As I plummeted, storms billowed from me, lightning crackled, thunder crashed. The darkness began to flee from me, realizing that I had become far worse then anything they could dream of being. I could read their minds, all of them, at once, feeling as though only God himself could feel, knowing the thoughts of a billion minds all at once. I thought I would go mad from the countless screaming voices between my ears, all of them howling for mercy.

I saw my wife turn into a white dove before me, and, she too was fleeing in fear of what I had become. Try as I might, I could not catch her. The stench of burning flesh stung my nose, assaulting my senses. It excited me, almost in a sexual fashion. Death was heavy in the air. How many lives had I taken in those moments? Millions perhaps? Could they be counted? There was no doubt these were the very things that had plagued me, tortured me in my dreams all my life. Now, they were the victims, the hunted, the haunted. With every life I snuffed out, the storm inside of me became worse, boiling out of control. Lightning flew from me in white hot waves.

And one stray bolt struck the white dove, my wife, as I saw her in my dream. There was nothing, not even a blackened feather left from her passing. With nothing left, all sense of control left me. I exploded. Bursting into a white hot ball of light. As I disintegrated, I could hear billions of voices all screaming at once, piercing my ears, a cry of pain like no other.

And then I woke up.

No. Lucid dreaming some times only makes the nightmare that much worse.

Occhi
Occhi

March 7th, 2003, 4:52 am #6

Possible Acid flashback?

Given when you grew up and hit adulthood, not sure if that was ever an itch you ever scratched.

March 7th, 2003, 2:06 pm #7

Yes Occhi, even though I went to a rather conservative Christian college, there was lots of substances just lying around. I tried acid a few times.

On another subject, I want to bring up the highly controversial subject of Genetic Memory.

When I was a little kid, I mean a REALLY little kid, some of the first dreams I can remember had Thunderbirds in them, massive birds that shot lightning. I did not even know what they were. Had never seen one in the waking world before. Never heard of what they were called. Yet I knew of their existence.

They were never scary in my dreams as a child. Far from it, they comforted me in my dreams. They would lift me up into the clouds, carrying me away from frightning things I could never quite see just out of my field of vision, but, I knew something was out there. They would plop me down in a nest made from clouds and watch over me. What I only could guess was a mother bird would sit and watch over me and tell me things in a strange language that I did not know nor did I understand. But it was comforting. There were also great white wolves in those clouds, but, not the fierce preditors that most people think of them. They too, were friendly, watchful, and also spoke to me, even though I had no idea what they said. At the time, I thought they were doggies. Really big doggies. I found acceptance with these dream creatures, when I could not seem to find it with people.

One of my Aunts, well, not sure how to start on this one, but, one day she asked me something, something to the effect of "Do you see anything in your dreams?" She was a great aunt, maybe greater, she was an old wise Indian woman. I stayed with her a few times as a child. When I told her what I saw in my dreams, it frightened her. Frightened her badly. From that point on, she never spanked me, never layed a hand on me, never spoke down to me. She always looked skyward for a moment when I was around, as if she was waiting for something. But I did not understand why. I still don't. I asked questions, as all nosey children do, and, she staunchly refused to answer any of them. My Uncle, her husband, also quit beating me with hickories. And he seemed afraid as well, never telling me anything either. When I got older, I asked some questions as well, never once did I get answers. Just frightened looks or blank stares from people that did not have answers. I still don't know what the big deal is. Probably superstitious garbage, but, after that dream the other night, I am not so sure if I still believe in that idea any more. Perhaps it does mean something, or, perhaps it's just hooey.

Or perhaps it's just an acid flashback, although I don't think I took any in my tender years when all these dreams started.

March 7th, 2003, 3:32 pm #8

nt!

Frugality is key.

March 7th, 2003, 3:37 pm #9

Forgive me if my reply might be a little garbled. I aint feeling good, just had those chemical nuclear stress tests.

One of the worst dreams I had just happened recently, just the other night, March 4th, the first night of my tests. Might have been a bit more vivid then usual because of the cocktail of drugs in my system, I dunno.

It was the usual court room drama guilty dream. As usual, the room melted away, but, the subject of tonights torture was not me. It was my wife. I knew I was dreaming. I tried doing everything I could to take control. Nothing seemed to work. Little demonic imps edged closer to her with red hot pokers, condemning her for her ties with me.

I do not know how to desribe it, but, something snapped in my mind. I was partially lucid, I knew I was dreaming, and, something in my waking mind just went batshit. I lost all sense of control. Something very deep inside of me woke up. Something I have never experienced before. In the most honest sense of the words, all Hell broke loose.

I turned into a massive Thunderbird, the fierce Godlike bird of chaos and vengeance to my ancestors. Thunderbolts and lightning crackled from my wing tips, storm clouds blew from my mouth. I could not control my self. Anything and everything became a valid target. I watched in utter horror as I slew everything. It was like watching a movie set get demolished. The scenery melted away, blackness boiled forth. The platform where my wife sat melted away, and, I watched as she plummeted into what seemed infinite darkness. A billion glowing eyes peered out from the darkness. Demonic cackles filled the void. Chain lightning and white hot searing orbs flew from my talons, ripping through the countless eyes, howls of pain echoed through the nothingness. I began a downward powerdive to fetch my falling wife. As I plummeted, storms billowed from me, lightning crackled, thunder crashed. The darkness began to flee from me, realizing that I had become far worse then anything they could dream of being. I could read their minds, all of them, at once, feeling as though only God himself could feel, knowing the thoughts of a billion minds all at once. I thought I would go mad from the countless screaming voices between my ears, all of them howling for mercy.

I saw my wife turn into a white dove before me, and, she too was fleeing in fear of what I had become. Try as I might, I could not catch her. The stench of burning flesh stung my nose, assaulting my senses. It excited me, almost in a sexual fashion. Death was heavy in the air. How many lives had I taken in those moments? Millions perhaps? Could they be counted? There was no doubt these were the very things that had plagued me, tortured me in my dreams all my life. Now, they were the victims, the hunted, the haunted. With every life I snuffed out, the storm inside of me became worse, boiling out of control. Lightning flew from me in white hot waves.

And one stray bolt struck the white dove, my wife, as I saw her in my dream. There was nothing, not even a blackened feather left from her passing. With nothing left, all sense of control left me. I exploded. Bursting into a white hot ball of light. As I disintegrated, I could hear billions of voices all screaming at once, piercing my ears, a cry of pain like no other.

And then I woke up.

No. Lucid dreaming some times only makes the nightmare that much worse.
You had any similar nightmares since then?

McFrugal

Frugality is key.

Occhi
Occhi

March 7th, 2003, 4:01 pm #10

Yes Occhi, even though I went to a rather conservative Christian college, there was lots of substances just lying around. I tried acid a few times.

On another subject, I want to bring up the highly controversial subject of Genetic Memory.

When I was a little kid, I mean a REALLY little kid, some of the first dreams I can remember had Thunderbirds in them, massive birds that shot lightning. I did not even know what they were. Had never seen one in the waking world before. Never heard of what they were called. Yet I knew of their existence.

They were never scary in my dreams as a child. Far from it, they comforted me in my dreams. They would lift me up into the clouds, carrying me away from frightning things I could never quite see just out of my field of vision, but, I knew something was out there. They would plop me down in a nest made from clouds and watch over me. What I only could guess was a mother bird would sit and watch over me and tell me things in a strange language that I did not know nor did I understand. But it was comforting. There were also great white wolves in those clouds, but, not the fierce preditors that most people think of them. They too, were friendly, watchful, and also spoke to me, even though I had no idea what they said. At the time, I thought they were doggies. Really big doggies. I found acceptance with these dream creatures, when I could not seem to find it with people.

One of my Aunts, well, not sure how to start on this one, but, one day she asked me something, something to the effect of "Do you see anything in your dreams?" She was a great aunt, maybe greater, she was an old wise Indian woman. I stayed with her a few times as a child. When I told her what I saw in my dreams, it frightened her. Frightened her badly. From that point on, she never spanked me, never layed a hand on me, never spoke down to me. She always looked skyward for a moment when I was around, as if she was waiting for something. But I did not understand why. I still don't. I asked questions, as all nosey children do, and, she staunchly refused to answer any of them. My Uncle, her husband, also quit beating me with hickories. And he seemed afraid as well, never telling me anything either. When I got older, I asked some questions as well, never once did I get answers. Just frightened looks or blank stares from people that did not have answers. I still don't know what the big deal is. Probably superstitious garbage, but, after that dream the other night, I am not so sure if I still believe in that idea any more. Perhaps it does mean something, or, perhaps it's just hooey.

Or perhaps it's just an acid flashback, although I don't think I took any in my tender years when all these dreams started.
Incorporated the genetic memory idea into her Clan of the Cave Bear series, particularly in the first book. I found the concept fascinating. I think its assumption is that such genetic passdown is similar to the passdown in animal species of certain instincts.