Wow! (or is that "WoW"!)

Wow! (or is that "WoW"!)

September 2nd, 2001, 5:39 pm #1

http://www.blizzard.com/press/010902wow.shtml

Blizzard's new game is a MMORPG set in the Warcraft universe. Did anybody NOT see Blizzard making an MMORPG?

Now that we know what it is, which Blizzard is going to be developing this game?

-CC

FoxBat
FoxBat

September 2nd, 2001, 8:52 pm #2

or at least a good chunk of what was the DII team. South still is working on WC3. What did you think half the DII team has been working on instead of developing x-pack? And why do you think they have not been spending 24/7 to fix all the bugs and complaints about current x-pack? Because they have a new project to work on!

To me, this sounds like one Bliz game I won't be buying... just sounds like everquest plus so far (and either way I ain't paying monthly fee) Darkstone is the only real clone of the Diablo games making that series rather unique, and WCIII is going to be an interesting new hybrid between Myth, D2 and RTS.

But WoW just sounds like Evercrack plus. I thought they might've taken advantage of the WarCraft universe to make PvP warfare the focus and do something more unique, like Anarchy Online minus the "lag even worse than D2 realms on release", or being a soldier in epic battles over terriorty for your kingdoms, but it appears that they aren't, just evercrack enhanced.

Buisness-wise this may be a stupid move. Aren't they worried about over-saturation, releasing an WC MMORPG right after WC3? Not to mention that people know WC and from that alone may not be too interested in it. I think they would've been better off at least coming up with a different universe.

With a monthly fee # of sales will definitely plummet, although they could still break records for MMORPG sales and make enough money on the fees to make up for the fewer game units sold.

DII realms, and all the post-release support DII has gotten, does make sense as a sort of bridge to working with an MMORPG. I just think Warcraft was the wrong setting for it.

September 3rd, 2001, 12:34 am #3

The downloadable cinematic looked incredible.

-Dalgrak
"Every lie I tell is the truth."

September 3rd, 2001, 2:41 pm #4

or at least a good chunk of what was the DII team. South still is working on WC3. What did you think half the DII team has been working on instead of developing x-pack? And why do you think they have not been spending 24/7 to fix all the bugs and complaints about current x-pack? Because they have a new project to work on!

To me, this sounds like one Bliz game I won't be buying... just sounds like everquest plus so far (and either way I ain't paying monthly fee) Darkstone is the only real clone of the Diablo games making that series rather unique, and WCIII is going to be an interesting new hybrid between Myth, D2 and RTS.

But WoW just sounds like Evercrack plus. I thought they might've taken advantage of the WarCraft universe to make PvP warfare the focus and do something more unique, like Anarchy Online minus the "lag even worse than D2 realms on release", or being a soldier in epic battles over terriorty for your kingdoms, but it appears that they aren't, just evercrack enhanced.

Buisness-wise this may be a stupid move. Aren't they worried about over-saturation, releasing an WC MMORPG right after WC3? Not to mention that people know WC and from that alone may not be too interested in it. I think they would've been better off at least coming up with a different universe.

With a monthly fee # of sales will definitely plummet, although they could still break records for MMORPG sales and make enough money on the fees to make up for the fewer game units sold.

DII realms, and all the post-release support DII has gotten, does make sense as a sort of bridge to working with an MMORPG. I just think Warcraft was the wrong setting for it.
I remember Shlonglor making as many oblique references to the big mystery project that Blizz North was working on (besides LoD) as humanly possible a while ago. I suppose this is it.

Here's wishing them a better time on their new pet project and hoping that they don't fark it up. Probably won't buy it, regardless. However, the earliest feasible release date would be Christmas 2002, so a lot can happen between then and now.

BTW, has anyone read the online preview that Blizzard links to? Could it be any more obvious that the guy writing up the prieview just blindly wrote up whatever Bill Roper told him to say? Or have I just become too cynical in my old age ( )?

But yeah, I agree that they should have made up a completely new universe to set this game in. Perhaps somebody should clue them in at Blizzard North that they are occasionally allowed to come up with an idea that has nothing to do with Warcraft, Starcraft, or Diablo.

-CC

September 3rd, 2001, 3:36 pm #5

Well, I agree that a totally new world setting should have been used (and still should), but I am fairly sure I am still going to play it. So far, everything looks nice and fascinating at least.

-Dalgrak
"Every lie I tell is the truth."

mysticgohan42
mysticgohan42

September 3rd, 2001, 6:56 pm #6

At the rate they seem to be going, they'll probably end up releasing WoW before Warcraft III. Which wouldn't make sense because the WoW storyline is based after Warcraft III. But considering they've already delayed a year or something, you never know.

McFrugal
McFrugal

September 4th, 2001, 5:35 am #7

(snagged from the official WoW site in Blizzard.com)

How will World of Warcraft differ from other MMORPGs?
World of Warcraft will differ from other MMORPGs in many ways. One of our main goals is to ensure that players can enjoy World of Warcraft without having to invest huge amounts of playtime. Players will be able to complete quests and experience the world at their own pace-whether it be a few hours here and there, or week-long adventuring marathons. Additionally, our quest system will provide an enormous variety of captivating quests with story elements, dynamic events, and flexible reward systems. World of Warcraft will also feature a faster style of play, with less downtime and an emphasis on combat and tactics against multiple opponents. We also plan to incorporate several unique features, which we'll disclose throughout the course of development.

(end snag)

Sounds good to me. Doesn't sound like EQ, doesn't sound like AC, doesn't sound like UO... sounds more like Horizons than any of those, actually.

McFrugal

Lissa
Lissa

September 4th, 2001, 6:22 pm #8

It sounds like the characters are customizable like they are in AC unlike any other game out there really, with the exception of AO.

FoxBat
FoxBat

September 5th, 2001, 1:32 am #9

(snagged from the official WoW site in Blizzard.com)

How will World of Warcraft differ from other MMORPGs?
World of Warcraft will differ from other MMORPGs in many ways. One of our main goals is to ensure that players can enjoy World of Warcraft without having to invest huge amounts of playtime. Players will be able to complete quests and experience the world at their own pace-whether it be a few hours here and there, or week-long adventuring marathons. Additionally, our quest system will provide an enormous variety of captivating quests with story elements, dynamic events, and flexible reward systems. World of Warcraft will also feature a faster style of play, with less downtime and an emphasis on combat and tactics against multiple opponents. We also plan to incorporate several unique features, which we'll disclose throughout the course of development.

(end snag)

Sounds good to me. Doesn't sound like EQ, doesn't sound like AC, doesn't sound like UO... sounds more like Horizons than any of those, actually.

McFrugal
There are differences I'm not giving due attention, it's just that Neverwinter Nights looks far more interesting to me :P

Lissa
Lissa

September 5th, 2001, 3:04 pm #10

The servers that make up MMORPG will be run by other people, you and me, not by BI. NWN will be closer to the Shooters like Quake and Unreal than the MMORPGs.