WoW beta sign up is now open...

WoW beta sign up is now open...

January 29th, 2004, 7:31 pm #1

...just in case anyone who's interested didn't know.

I wondered why the Blizzard site was down last night -- looks like it couldn't handle the volume of the initial wave of sign ups.

Ashock
Ashock

January 29th, 2004, 9:10 pm #2

... if my P3 500 automatically disqualifies me from the Beta, or if it can even run on it. Oh well, there's always Dungeon Siege

-A

Lissa
Lissa

January 29th, 2004, 9:47 pm #3

What's the worst they're gonna say, no? Also, many companies take lower end machines just to see how the game does on them so they can properly spec the minimum requirements for the gold version.

Thecla
Thecla

January 29th, 2004, 10:20 pm #4

The minimum spec for windows is a '800MHz or higher' cpu, whatever that means exactly, and you have to run an ActiveX utility to sign up that determines your system specs.

Or you could always sign up on a different machine. Might have a better chance of success, though, than "Honey, I need to buy a new computer so I can play an addictive MMORPG for $15 a month."

Lissa
Lissa

January 29th, 2004, 10:23 pm #5

What's the worst they're gonna say, no? No harm in trying.

Ashock
Ashock

January 29th, 2004, 11:32 pm #6

... did that yesterday at midnight or something like it. I'm just curious if I can even run the damn thing.... not that I'm in a hurry to pay monthly fees for a game. Of course, there's not a hell of a lot of difference between paying for a game, and paying for cable TV.

-A

Lissa
Lissa

January 29th, 2004, 11:36 pm #7

As most Cable and Satellite TV services usually offer you a multitude of crap that you will never watch. About the only time the TV comes on in my house is to watch a movie.

January 30th, 2004, 12:25 am #8

Hi,

First, I don't think I could get any cable services without including basic cable for TV. That would mean no cable Internet access (too far in the boonies for DSL). So that covers a lot of the cost.

Besides, for a while now I've done hardly any computer gaming -- too much of the same old same old. OTOH, I have been watching some TV (Buffy, Angle, NYPD Blue, all three of the Law & Order, JAG, NCIS, and, of course, Good Eats are some of what I enjoy).

So, given the choice between $30 for a service I use and $15 for one I probably wouldn't, which one is a waste?

--Pete

January 30th, 2004, 3:10 am #9

As most Cable and Satellite TV services usually offer you a multitude of crap that you will never watch. About the only time the TV comes on in my house is to watch a movie.
heh, i'm a lot worse than that--

Besides the cable bundle (phone, cable modem, digital cable), I pay $10 a month for Rhapsody 8-0.

Sigh.

Actually, I'd drop the land line phone if I didn't use it to dial into work--anyone I want to talk to calls me on my cell.

I'd rather give up the premium cable channels than Rhapsody, though.

January 30th, 2004, 3:21 am #10

...just in case anyone who's interested didn't know.

I wondered why the Blizzard site was down last night -- looks like it couldn't handle the volume of the initial wave of sign ups.
...they did not ask a single question about beta-type participation, filing bug reports, etc.

Apparently, this is a "hardware compatibility" and "server load" beta, and they are not particularly interested in gameplay insight.

^%@#$^%@#$^@$#

Guess I'm still bruised by the PlanetSide beta experience 8-(