Whither go the Lurkers(tm)?

Whither go the Lurkers(tm)?

dta
dta

October 7th, 2001, 2:28 am #1

Pardon me if this seems an off-topic question...

It's been months since I last played Diablo 2. The last time I was still playing (around Jan or Feb this year), I visited Bolty's Lurker Lounge semi-regularly.

I just went back there and sadly, it has been closed (well not exactly, the site is still there indefinitely, but no new messages can be posted on the LL forum...) Therefore, I'm wondering where the regulars of that forum have moved to.

I know some of the regulars there post here often too. I haven't checked out the DSF too, either (I wonder if the posts there still shoot past very quickly). Well, any DSF regulars care to reply?

October 7th, 2001, 2:34 am #2

Hail dta,

The Lurkers have split over three forums.

Roland The Gunslinger has set up a forum:
www.t35.com/roland/

Some Lurkers now post at the DiabloII.net forums:
www.diabloii.net

The rest are at the Amazon Basin:
www.theamazonbasin.com

DiabloII.net is still as it always was: as lot of noise, the Amazon Basin is, er, the Amazon Basin (no comment for it), and Roland's forum is a bit buggy at the moment. It'll be a while before there is anything to compare to the Lounge I believe :\

May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.

October 7th, 2001, 9:03 am #3

It's been months since I last played Diablo 2. The last time I was still playing (around Jan or Feb this year), I visited Bolty's Lurker Lounge semi-regularly.

I just went back there and sadly, it has been closed (well not exactly, the site is still there indefinitely, but no new messages can be posted on the LL forum...) Therefore, I'm wondering where the regulars of that forum have moved to.

I know some of the regulars there post here often too. I haven't checked out the DSF too, either (I wonder if the posts there still shoot past very quickly). Well, any DSF regulars care to reply?
http://www.battle.net/forums/diablo-strategy/

It's still an active forum, with a few decent posters.

Come visit

(Even though we have not had the pleasure of an Occhi-poem for QUITE some time, the DSF is not a horrible place to visit)

-DeeBye

October 7th, 2001, 9:47 am #4

Hail dta,

The Lurkers have split over three forums.

Roland The Gunslinger has set up a forum:
www.t35.com/roland/

Some Lurkers now post at the DiabloII.net forums:
www.diabloii.net

The rest are at the Amazon Basin:
www.theamazonbasin.com

DiabloII.net is still as it always was: as lot of noise, the Amazon Basin is, er, the Amazon Basin (no comment for it), and Roland's forum is a bit buggy at the moment. It'll be a while before there is anything to compare to the Lounge I believe :\

We're posting to this forum, asking where to find a good forum?

Sure, it's not a "mainstream" Diablo forum, but I think I've had about enough of that to last me for a while!

So far, none of the other forums I've visited, besides this one, have held my interest at all. I've toyed with the idea of putting something else together, but for now I'm happy here. I may be behind in my "official" knowledge of the game, but I'm making that up with extra playtime!

-Griselda

Pete
Pete

October 7th, 2001, 12:48 pm #5

http://www.battle.net/forums/diablo-strategy/

It's still an active forum, with a few decent posters.

Come visit

(Even though we have not had the pleasure of an Occhi-poem for QUITE some time, the DSF is not a horrible place to visit)

-DeeBye
Hi,

It's still an active forum, with a few decent posters

True. But it is very narrow in its focus (as it probably should be) so that conversation cannot really take place there.

For many ex-Lurkers, as for me, the end of the LL meant the end of Diablo. D1 is just too worn out -- "Been there. Done that. Repeated past nausea." D2 is just too shoddy and shallow a game. The community was what kept things interesting, at least for me. Things may turn around, they may not. But it sure was fun while it lasted

--Pete

October 7th, 2001, 3:00 pm #6

Indeed, I count one of the best things about Diablo, and the DSF, the opportunity to meet you, and a few other very high quality individuals, in the "fiber optic coffee shops" that are/were the various Diablo gaming fora.

The people are more important than the game. Or at least, they always have been for me.

Occhidiangela, Rogue with a Heart, and a caffeine addiction

Occhi, Corporal of the Legion
First Squad
Pygmy's Pike Platoon

FoxBat
FoxBat

October 7th, 2001, 7:43 pm #7

We're posting to this forum, asking where to find a good forum?

Sure, it's not a "mainstream" Diablo forum, but I think I've had about enough of that to last me for a while!

So far, none of the other forums I've visited, besides this one, have held my interest at all. I've toyed with the idea of putting something else together, but for now I'm happy here. I may be behind in my "official" knowledge of the game, but I'm making that up with extra playtime!

-Griselda
Whether a character is "viable" is hardly ever considered here. Nor do you see nearly enough "realm down", "ladder reset", and "SOJ sucks" posts. Some people's idea of strategy is to wear cathan's set into hell, now isn't that stupid? And while the occasional entertaining rant does come along, it is far too infrequent. Wheres the content? Looks more like squeaks from some lemming and the ramblings of some drunken rogues. Way too much Noise to Signal here!

(;) But to be fair, you don't see much Spirea's Workshop/Maggot Lair type-stuff here either... that I do miss)

Sirian
Sirian

October 8th, 2001, 12:13 am #8

Hi,

It's still an active forum, with a few decent posters

True. But it is very narrow in its focus (as it probably should be) so that conversation cannot really take place there.

For many ex-Lurkers, as for me, the end of the LL meant the end of Diablo. D1 is just too worn out -- "Been there. Done that. Repeated past nausea." D2 is just too shoddy and shallow a game. The community was what kept things interesting, at least for me. Things may turn around, they may not. But it sure was fun while it lasted

--Pete

I think if the Lounge had gone down before the expansion, that it would have been replaced. People were still into the game, still exploring nuances, and excited about the potential of the expansion. If the Lounge had not been there, then beta reports and large numbers of people interested in them would have gone somewhere.

If not for the Lounge at all, though, I and many others who got invited to the beta would not have, so my site wouldn't have been that place. But it would have been somewhere.

That the LL closing came after the expansion, and after the first patch (much delayed and therefore much anticipated) failed to address the root of the new balance problems with the game... I agree with Pete. The closing of the LL marks the waning days of the game for many players. As far as I can see, bnet is still plenty full, though, so what, if anything, this disintegration of one of the more passionate and enlightened communities means for the future of the series and/or similar games... only time will tell.

- Sirian

Thecla
Thecla

October 8th, 2001, 5:41 am #9

There seems to be a lot of interest in MMORPGs, with Dark Age of Camelot due out (though it sounds too Group/PvP oriented for my tastes) and Bliz's announcement of World of Warcraft.

Even though D2 was a pretty good game, and LoD was an excellent (but flawed) expansion patch that brought the game a little bit closer to what it could have been when it was first released, D2 still falls far short of what most of us imagined it would be.

I also think that the closing of the LL was a watershed of sorts marking an end that had probably already been reached; though, heavens knows, there are still enough people buying D2 and playing it. Hopefully Bliz will choose wisely in using the profits to design their next games.

dta
dta

October 8th, 2001, 5:50 pm #10

Whether a character is "viable" is hardly ever considered here. Nor do you see nearly enough "realm down", "ladder reset", and "SOJ sucks" posts. Some people's idea of strategy is to wear cathan's set into hell, now isn't that stupid? And while the occasional entertaining rant does come along, it is far too infrequent. Wheres the content? Looks more like squeaks from some lemming and the ramblings of some drunken rogues. Way too much Noise to Signal here!

(;) But to be fair, you don't see much Spirea's Workshop/Maggot Lair type-stuff here either... that I do miss)
I still have to get a copy of D2:LoD to try out. And without the LL, I'm not sure where to learn the ropes about the new character classes and other "inside info" or "bugs/hidden features".