What would you do--in the following Diablo situations

What would you do--in the following Diablo situations

Drasca
Drasca

July 31st, 2003, 8:41 am #1

Since Nystul kindly reminded us "What kind of idiot hero sticks the soul gem in his forehead?"

Pretend for a moment you are sent to the classic Diablo town of Tristram by an unknown means* as yourself, following the rules of your own ability--not the warrior/rogue/sorcerer avatars we have. Game rules apply also, so health potions will heal, mana potions will restore the 'mana' if we have it. Who knows? We might all be really barbarians with no starting mana.

*Unless you have a preference in how you reach enter the classic Diablo world, a la Tron's beam, a cybernetic mind-machine interface, Red Dwarf's bicycle helmet probles for "Better than life" game artificial reality , or just something Red Green cooked up with Duct tape.

You're in Tristram, and may find others from RBD also in Tristram (those who have already posted). Both in-game rules and real life rules apply as much as we can suspend disbelief.

Exceptions from real life are made to tailor to game rules: Armor is form fitting, doesn't chafe, and interchangeable. Griswold can smith weapons and armor instantly. Adria & Pepin has an unlimited supply of potions. There are no lag-time outs, so gold and equipment can safely be stored in town or at Ogden's tavern--no more invincible ghosts or desynch fake items either

Normal/Nightmare/Hell difficulty upping of stats is reflected in monster battling skill. Normal Church skeletons can barely keep their own bones together when swinging, but Hell ones parry weave, dodge

So reasonably what would you do if...

You saw a club wielding skeleton heading your way.

if not that, then King Leoric's horde and the unlimited maximum health, 100 life-stealing, all hail the undead king coming your way?

Moreover, the subsequent monsters and bosses, with portals between normal, nightmare and hell.

And if you defeated Diablo, do you stick that damned soul gem in your forehead like the resident idiot hero?

Would you run away? Leave for a safer town to making a living. That seems sensible. Would you gather up to do battle? Go study with Pepin and Adria until you're magically ready? Beat up wirt? Over... and over... and over. Or maybe try and recall chemistry to assess if there's raw material available to make crude gunpowder.

Tell me, given your own self-assessment skills, ability, what would you do? Be honest, but also build upon each other's posts.

Myself personally.... first thing I'd do in Tristram would be run around in circles for about half an hour and go nuts. Maybe, I'll attempt a shaman dance to summon lemmings while I'm at it Then take a nap and watch the clear night sky. Next thing... I don't know. I'll wait until others have responded, then add more. I await your responses, and further reflections.

Feel free to add situations and possibilities. This is your ability in a world we're all familiar with.

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

July 31st, 2003, 11:40 am #2

Assuming I was whisked into the game world suddenly with no preparation my first thought would be "OH, CRAP!" once I realized where I was.

Since I have zero experience in fighting with melee weapons I'd probably have to think hard on if I'd want to fight or not, but if a little experimentation revealed that I'd "automagically" fight better (gain levels) the more I did it and could be brought back I'd like to think I'd enlist as many volunteers as possible and go down to try to help.

Of course, even knowing that death isn't permanent wouldn't do much to overcome the fear, especially since we wouldn't mysteriously pop back up alive in town after a set amount of time either ala D2.

WarBlade
WarBlade

July 31st, 2003, 1:37 pm #3

Since Nystul kindly reminded us "What kind of idiot hero sticks the soul gem in his forehead?"

Pretend for a moment you are sent to the classic Diablo town of Tristram by an unknown means* as yourself, following the rules of your own ability--not the warrior/rogue/sorcerer avatars we have. Game rules apply also, so health potions will heal, mana potions will restore the 'mana' if we have it. Who knows? We might all be really barbarians with no starting mana.

*Unless you have a preference in how you reach enter the classic Diablo world, a la Tron's beam, a cybernetic mind-machine interface, Red Dwarf's bicycle helmet probles for "Better than life" game artificial reality , or just something Red Green cooked up with Duct tape.

You're in Tristram, and may find others from RBD also in Tristram (those who have already posted). Both in-game rules and real life rules apply as much as we can suspend disbelief.

Exceptions from real life are made to tailor to game rules: Armor is form fitting, doesn't chafe, and interchangeable. Griswold can smith weapons and armor instantly. Adria & Pepin has an unlimited supply of potions. There are no lag-time outs, so gold and equipment can safely be stored in town or at Ogden's tavern--no more invincible ghosts or desynch fake items either

Normal/Nightmare/Hell difficulty upping of stats is reflected in monster battling skill. Normal Church skeletons can barely keep their own bones together when swinging, but Hell ones parry weave, dodge

if not that, then King Leoric's horde and the unlimited maximum health, 100 life-stealing, all hail the undead king coming your way?

Moreover, the subsequent monsters and bosses, with portals between normal, nightmare and hell.

And if you defeated Diablo, do you stick that damned soul gem in your forehead like the resident idiot hero?

Would you run away? Leave for a safer town to making a living. That seems sensible. Would you gather up to do battle? Go study with Pepin and Adria until you're magically ready? Beat up wirt? Over... and over... and over. Or maybe try and recall chemistry to assess if there's raw material available to make crude gunpowder.

Tell me, given your own self-assessment skills, ability, what would you do? Be honest, but also build upon each other's posts.

Myself personally.... first thing I'd do in Tristram would be run around in circles for about half an hour and go nuts. Maybe, I'll attempt a shaman dance to summon lemmings while I'm at it Then take a nap and watch the clear night sky. Next thing... I don't know. I'll wait until others have responded, then add more. I await your responses, and further reflections.

Feel free to add situations and possibilities. This is your ability in a world we're all familiar with.
The first question is how does one arrive in Tristram? Thankfully, since characters appear with a minimum of gear, one can assume that you get into the place with a little bit of equipment. If it's a toothbruth, some beer numerous packets of peanuts, and an electronic guidebook, I might be in trouble, so instead I'll imagine a mystical portal™ appearing in my bedroom that gives me a minute to grab some stuff.

A quick glance around my room and imagining my arms full as I dive through the shrinking portal nets me the following:
- Marlin beak mounted on a wooden base. Can be either thrust for exceedingly messy results or reversed and swung as a club.
- Two plastic bags and a steel helmet currently by my right foot under the desk. The helmet's already fitted to my head shape and the bags hold such things as leather gloves and vambraces along with various bits of equipment maintenance paraphernalia.
- Spraycans. Red Paint and some CRC (better than oil) can be chucked straight into the bags.
- One longseax (It'll need sharpening, but there's a file in the bag)
- One 9mm plywood roundshield with reinforced rim that should last until level 4.
- The baseball bat and three metre long wooden pole could be useful.
- A wooden draw. I'll give it Farmham, after I sort out some fresh underwear, socks and warm woolen jumper for my travels.
- The sleeping bag will be a problem. It's a twenty metre round trip, but I think I'd dash for it and just grab my bed covers folded up as a temporary carry sack. Hmm Nah. I'll just stick the bed covers.

Crikey! I just realized I'll be stumbling through the portal with a steel helmet on my head, sneakers hanging by their laces from my mouth and a small pile of junk and clothing flopping out onto the ground around me. Gee, I hope no-one is watching when I get there.

>You're in Tristram, and may find others from RBD also in Tristram (those who have already posted). Both in-game rules and real life rules apply as much as we can suspend disbelief.

Okay, so half the RBD crowd turns around and starts mouthing, "What the-!" as I pick myself out of a newly developed junkpile, lift the front of my helmet up and say, "Um Hi. Anyone need a hero? I think someone around here wanted a hero, but instead they got me I'm afraid."

>So reasonably what would you do if...

>You saw a club wielding skeleton heading your way.

Well skeletons are renowned for being pretty stupid. They probably have less intellect than the mage who raised them, so I'm expecting they'd do the standard newbie attack of a diagonal upper right to lower left. I'd probably wind up just punching my shield forward, locking the skeleton's weapon arm back and use my baseball bat to smack it apart from the right.

Then I'd turn around and grin at the rest of you. "Right! Anyone who knows what constitutes a home run swing or plays a lot of golf, step forward."

>if not that, then King Leoric's horde and the unlimited maximum health, 100 life-stealing, all hail the undead king coming your way?

Leoric's easy. I worked out on the second attempt that I could wake him up without tripping the portcullis. After that it's just a case of peppering him at range while eating arrows from two archery skeletons. By this stage of the game I'd also have gathered a bag of sulpher, some powered carbon and a bucket of seagull droppings. Hey, witch has got to be good for something, right? "Leoooooooric! Here youstupiddoggiechew. COME AND GET IT!!!"

>Moreover, the subsequent monsters and bosses, with portals between normal, nightmare and hell.

Hmmm, I'm imagining several of us sneaking around the outside of a big square room, smelling distinctly of blood and carnage. Someone in the group whispers, "Think we can take him?"

>And if you defeated Diablo, do you stick that damned soul gem in your forehead like the resident idiot hero?

The group stares at the gem.
"Anyone wanna . . . ?"
"Nope"
"Not me."
"Uh uh."
"Bugger that for a joke!"
"Maybe we should put it in a bucket without touching it and take it to Cain?"
"Yep"
"Uh-huh."
"I like it"
"Yeah, let's do that."

>Would you run away? Leave for a safer town to making a living. That seems sensible. Would you gather up to do battle? Go study with Pepin and Adria until you're magically ready? Beat up wirt? Over... and over... and over. Or maybe try and recall chemistry to assess if there's raw material available to make crude gunpowder.

I'd start practicing, gather the troops, try to impress upon people the need for some basic footwork and hope like hell. I can also make temporary water bombs from sheets of paper. I'm thinking a bit of oil would be interesting to test with one while lamenting the fact I didn't think of detergent earlier (not that I had time to get it anyway).

Anyone any good with a crossbow?

July 31st, 2003, 5:57 pm #4

Well, right next to my desk is one of my many gun lockers. This one has, uh oh, shotguns. A few Mossburgs, a Winchester, and a newly aquired Weatherby 10 guage double barrel elephant gun. Leoric? WHAT LEORIC? Oh, you mean that smoking pile of bone fragments? God help the Butcher if I kept my simi auto and full auto gun locker in reach. I have a simi rare, wonderfully made 10 mm Uzi in that one. A few Lugars, and a British Bulldog.

As for crossbows, on the walls are several models, ranging from mini xbows that fire darts, to massive xbows with scopes, 300 to 400 pounds of pull, winch activated, and drop dead accurate at just a touch over 500 yards. Even can adjust for wind. Also, many tomahawks and spears of my ancestors, there is a live hand granade on the bookshelf, people like to pick it up and then scream like sissies when I tell them it's live. Most of my Japanese swords are by the couch, with European swords by the fireplace. There is an English ceremonial halbred on the kitchen wall, a gift from a friend, one of the actual halbreds used by the Palace Guards.

I guess it all depends what I could reach. Diablo, say hello to my Boomstick!

And no, no soulstone for me. No way. Perhaps King of Pain, Charis, or Griselda, our esteemed and respected leaders should take that responsibility.

Drasca
Drasca

July 31st, 2003, 7:28 pm #5

Day 3:
I'm dead... wait I'm alive again? What's this? Restart in town? I didn't know this. How could I have known? Oh---Drasca kindly glances over the combination of Rules of Diablo applying and imagining other RBD folk joining up. He doesn't realize the rules switched from Single Player one-life to Multiplayer 'Restart in town' and ressurrect scrolls being readily available. Gee, and I called myself a Diablo player-- forgetting about ressurrection. Doofus.

Hey, I thought I was dead! I didn't know I wouldn't stay that way. Who dragged my corpse away from the succubus? I was only trying to snap her thong. Ok, no more hell panty raids for Drasca. Nor nude Happy Dances while sleep deprived either. Maybe I can sell some "Succubi gone wild" tapes if I ever get back. The things they do with their pet lava maws...

Nice doggy.

Day 4
Oh crud. I stepped in acified doggy drool, now I need a new pair of shoes.

My hair was lit on fire today from a close call with a firebolt. I don't know if it came from Ozzy, Warblade or the mages in front of me, but it stinks. Bad. No, bad would be an understatement. Between that and the doggy breath that's splashed all over me. I don't think anyone will want to coop within 50 feet downwind of me.

There was something wrong with a group of them. I think Lemming's altered AI somehow got in my area of hunt. They've gone rogue and bloody mad. Instead of casting spells, the mages decided to teleport right next to me. Being the dusty old buggers they are, I ate sawdust as they phased in, and bashed me with their staves. Bloody mad. Luckily Ozy and Warblade made short work of the telekilling mages while I was being bashed. At least I wasn't stun-locked while running away like wirt. I can't believe Doc & Ozy convinced him to tag along. We all got a good laugh.

I need new clothes, and a looong bath.

BruceGod
BruceGod

July 31st, 2003, 10:58 pm #6

Well, seeing as the "heros" are MINIMALLY equipped, I would guess that you only got what's on you at the time when the big blue tp comes a callin'. So, I would hafta say that I'd spend a week getting into demon-killing shape, then proceed to smash their little skulls in with my steel toed boots. A fallen coming? KICK... SMASH... CRUNCH... I can swing a sword no prob, and though I can actually shoot a rbow, my aim kinda sux. (besides, no crossbows until d2) So, I'd hafta stick to melee, at least until I got my hands on some of those cool books.

Cyrene
Cyrene

August 2nd, 2003, 2:58 pm #7

as the monsters never attack town, and nothing bad happens if you leave well enough alone, i vote for hanging out in the rising sun and drinking ale and romancing gillian.

barmaids have a rep as being hard to crack, but my experience has been that they are tired of testosterone-addled males throwing a little money around and thinking that makes them some sort of godlike being. they are some really nice folks if you take the time to get to know them. and, after you get to know them, some of them are lonely folk looking for someone to share some time with 8-).

why would i want to leave THAT behind to attack a bunch of monsters that are never going to attack me?

Occhi
Occhi

August 4th, 2003, 4:29 pm #8

After walking into town, and trying to meet every one who seems friendly, I'd probably head for Ogden's and get at least one pint of Westmarch Bitter and consider how much it stinks that my wife, children, and dog are on the wrong side of a dimensional gate. After crying into my beer for a bit, I suppose, I'd take stock of what assets and opportunities are at my disposal.

I have one hundred gold pieces in a slightly infaltionary "gold mining town" sort of economy. I'd offer to take Gillian 'away from all of this' and head for Kingsport, in Westmarch. Once there, my aim would be, via a bribe here and there, to get an audience with, and present a case to, The King.

Premise: if he does not make a pre-emptive armed strike on Tristram, where the local King has left a power vacuum and his heir had been kidnapped, he risks the rise of a Terror based government in the Kingdom next door where the Usurper is already building a powerful political power base.

If he is an old school King, we'd have a chance of a few companies of Paladin's of Westmarch showing up and nipping the problem in the bud. Let them deal with the gem, I've got Gillian to take care of.

If he is a more liberal King, I will probably be laughed out of town and told to go cry "Wolfowitz" elsewhere, in which case Gillian and I will book working passage with some of the remaining Gold on a ship bound for the Amazon Isles. I like The Sea, and don't get seasick.

Why? Philios et al are more likely to be better led, being a trading and mercenary nation. If Gillian ever tires of me, or won't come with me 'oer sea' then at least I am well positioned to try and adapt to a hard working and fulfilling life as house-husband to an Amazon warrior. I am a good cook, well educated, and I learned a long time ago how to keep my living space clean.

WarBlade
WarBlade

August 5th, 2003, 11:01 am #9

When the world cried out for a hero,
He ran and gave cooking lessons in safety.

?=/

Drasca
Drasca

August 5th, 2003, 1:15 pm #10

After walking into town, and trying to meet every one who seems friendly, I'd probably head for Ogden's and get at least one pint of Westmarch Bitter and consider how much it stinks that my wife, children, and dog are on the wrong side of a dimensional gate. After crying into my beer for a bit, I suppose, I'd take stock of what assets and opportunities are at my disposal.

I have one hundred gold pieces in a slightly infaltionary "gold mining town" sort of economy. I'd offer to take Gillian 'away from all of this' and head for Kingsport, in Westmarch. Once there, my aim would be, via a bribe here and there, to get an audience with, and present a case to, The King.

Premise: if he does not make a pre-emptive armed strike on Tristram, where the local King has left a power vacuum and his heir had been kidnapped, he risks the rise of a Terror based government in the Kingdom next door where the Usurper is already building a powerful political power base.

If he is an old school King, we'd have a chance of a few companies of Paladin's of Westmarch showing up and nipping the problem in the bud. Let them deal with the gem, I've got Gillian to take care of.

If he is a more liberal King, I will probably be laughed out of town and told to go cry "Wolfowitz" elsewhere, in which case Gillian and I will book working passage with some of the remaining Gold on a ship bound for the Amazon Isles. I like The Sea, and don't get seasick.

Why? Philios et al are more likely to be better led, being a trading and mercenary nation. If Gillian ever tires of me, or won't come with me 'oer sea' then at least I am well positioned to try and adapt to a hard working and fulfilling life as house-husband to an Amazon warrior. I am a good cook, well educated, and I learned a long time ago how to keep my living space clean.
I was wondering when someone would bring up facing the reality of being seperated from the domestic life they've made for themselves. Bravo Occhi.

Still, Occhi might serve as house-husband for the Amazon who'll serve as hero-- if he's lucky he isn't eaten first...no they don't do that, do they? Or turned into a eunuch.

You guys romancing Gillian is something I turned a total blind eye to, since she's outta my league and I'm again swearing off women. No more, the thought doesn't even occur to me. Going to wander around almost aimlessly and that's that.

Honestly, I'd enjoy having fresh air, clear night skies, and some of Ogden's mead for a while-- before I have to go spelunking for gold and sellable equipment to repay my Tavern debts.