Version 1

Version 1

KingOfPain
KingOfPain

February 8th, 2003, 3:55 pm #1

Some of you might have already noticed the new version of RBMoO is up by looking at the update on the bottom of the forum...

Go have a test drive and see how it feels. Please report if (for those of you running a high res screen) the gfx (tables) breaks up and at what resolution. And, if you have problem accessing the drop dowm menu for the forums.

Ya, I know some of the links take you to the same temporary pages - It's only a mock up for the navigation until we have real contents ;p Hope you like it so far and help shape the future of RBMoO with your comments, suggestions.

What's Thecla going to say?

KoP

Charis
Charis

February 8th, 2003, 10:30 pm #2

If that isn't the spiffiest Moo site around, I don't know what is

You're still da man, great job!!

Charis

Sullla
Sullla

February 9th, 2003, 1:51 am #3

Some of you might have already noticed the new version of RBMoO is up by looking at the update on the bottom of the forum...

Go have a test drive and see how it feels. Please report if (for those of you running a high res screen) the gfx (tables) breaks up and at what resolution. And, if you have problem accessing the drop dowm menu for the forums.

Ya, I know some of the links take you to the same temporary pages - It's only a mock up for the navigation until we have real contents ;p Hope you like it so far and help shape the future of RBMoO with your comments, suggestions.

KoP
A lot of the links are just to blank pages, but the outline looks great. It's already far more professional than probably 90% of pages out there on the web. Now let's just hope that the game is good enough to justify such a beautiful design!

Sirian
Sirian

February 9th, 2003, 7:49 am #4

What Sulla said.

I really like the font and lettering work. Very sleek.

- Sirian

February 9th, 2003, 9:54 am #5

KoP
Several things:

1. Thought for a while that the drop-down menu didn't work, but it just took a long time for the graphics to load. In fact in general things took a pretty long time to load up at first (though of course once I got them cached it went much faster).

2. At 1280x1024 the site looks great and in perfect proportion and behaves as I expect it to when I resize the window (i.e. the center panel expands and contracts with the change while the two sides remain static).

3. I don't get why sometimes the letter O gets a dot in the middle of it and why sometimes it doesn't in the text graphics.

Overall: looking nice!

-CC

February 9th, 2003, 2:46 pm #6

KoP
Hi,

great job at designing a good and different looking site which yet feels familiar if you are used to the other RB sites - very nice!

Some minor, not really important things I noticed:

- When I tried to get to the main RB site, I automatically clicked on the image in the upper left corner, but it didn't work. Since many other sites and even RBCiv works that way, maybe it would be consistent here, too...?

- Personally, I don't find it asthetically pleasing that the "Tips and Strategy" links are on the left side, while the "Customization" links are more on the right side

Apart from these useless nits, well done! It seems to work both with Opera 7 (Windows) and Konqueror (KDE/Linux), although it loads a bit slow with a dial-up connection. Which leads me to another plea: Would it be possible to reduce the "update images" on bottom of the forums in size, or to compress them more? The forums are very graphics intensive and thus cumbersome to load. With the browsers and the preferences I use, they get either loaded once per session or every time I view any thread (at least if I want to have the text part up to date), which is rather slow.

-Kylearan

KingOfPain
KingOfPain

February 10th, 2003, 11:37 am #7

KoP
It pays to nit ;p Sometimes it's too easy to forget many people are still on dial-up or running low res deaktop.

- I have managed to shave a 100k from a total of 280k off the update pix. Part of the slow loading is because the forum gfx is now hosted at N54. There are more saving to be had from the other forum gfx but that would have to wait for a blue moon because compressing the other gfx futher would alter their background color requiring a sitewide refit.

- "Tips and Strategy" links are on the left side, while the "Customization" links are more on the right side

They are only test menu items for me to see different layout on the same screen. will get a fix when they are made real.

- Link to main rb site not consistent with other site, move link to home button?

Surprised me some of you pay attention to stuff I thought no one cares about. The link to RB's main entrance is there now tho not where I wanted it to be initially. I wanted it to be in the view screen thingy where the Home button is now. On the same note, everyone know there's a "back to top" button on the bottom of every page, right?

- why sometimes the letter O gets a dot in the middle of it and...

Because it's there ;p
There are 2 type faces used here, well 3 if you count the body text. The one with dot in the Os is Andes, a more suitable font for making headings and I tought their O is cute for a space theme.

- Forum Format - Newest post first?

- Flags! Anyone got any ideas on that?

Keep the comments coming. Thanks

KoP

February 10th, 2003, 9:10 pm #8

The main inconsistency between the Os with dots and the Os without is here:

The O in "Realms Beyond" has a dot, but the O in "Forum" doesn't.

-CC

KingOfPain
KingOfPain

February 10th, 2003, 11:04 pm #9

undecided whether or not to use Andes on the forum menu myself. May seem over doing it. Notice the star flare on the Beyond's O?

What do you think, which way would you prefer?

Also, where's a good place to grab general races info if they are on the web? Check out the Races section. Does that look like a good (basic) format?

KoP

February 11th, 2003, 2:10 am #10

Actually, I couldn't see it. Until you told me it was there, I didn't even see any part of the flare besides that dot in the middle of the O, and then I had to lean up to my monitor and squint. Now, by forum menu you're talking about that drop-down box that appears when you hover over "RB Forums", right?, if I am thinking about the right thing I think the font that is there already would be a better choice than Andes, it wouldn't make thematic sense to find the typeface used for your major headings in a little drop-down menu.

As for general race information, I actually am not aware of any place that has all the race information in one spot and their in-game bonuses/penalties unless maybe you're willing to buy the strategy guide (and I don't know if the Strategy guide has it either, from all accounts that I've read the thing is worthless). And for reasons unfathomable, any information related to the "Harvesters" (Ithkul?) is super top secret until release and is not public information at this time. Which is dumb, IMHO.

Also, there are some races in the game that are not choosable by the player but might be found inhabiting planets in the game. I don't really know many of the names of these, but I assume that they also should have some sort of entry in the Race section.

As for the layout, It seems all right. Maybe once we have some artwork to scan or screencap, we could put a little thumbnail portrait of each race next to their link so the center panel doesn't look so stark.

-CC