Unofficial Epics challenge - Japanese 20k

Unofficial Epics challenge - Japanese 20k

January 8th, 2004, 7:19 pm #1

Anyone looking for something to play while waiting for the confused people at Firaxis to figure things out regarding the FP in Conquests? In the spirit of Zed's Deity OCC challenge from last year, take a look at this.

Here's a shot at something I'd always wanted to do in PTW: accomplishing a 20k cultural win as fast as possible, making heavy use of Great Leaders.

Game parameters:
Civ: Japan
Map: Tiny, Pangaea, 20% land
Difficulty: Emperor
Barbarians: None
Opponents: France, England, India

Here's why I picked Japan. Militaristic and religious are pretty obvious traits for this challenge - the first for Great Leaders and the second for shorter anarchy which directly translates to an earlier win. And a militaristic civ can avoid triggering an unwanted early Golden Age, as the only militaristic ancient wonder is the Great Wall which comes at the end of the age. Finally, the later Japanese UU is better than early GA-triggering Aztec Jaguars.

I tried a game on Monarch difficulty, but it proved to be way too easy; an archer rush could take out all the enemy capitals before they even got started. So Emperor it is.

I rolled starts several times, looking for a good combination of coastal access, fresh water, and at least one food bonus. Eventually got this:

If anyone wants to take up the challenge, I strongly suggest settling one tile southwest from the start. (I determined that from peeking under the fog, but not all graphic setups will allow that.)

http://www.dos486.com/civ3/japan-20k/Ja ... 4000bc.zip

If anyone wants to try this, go for it! (Play in PTW 1.27f.) I'll post back asking for any results, say two weeks before the first official Epic of the new season closes.

Ed
Ed

January 9th, 2004, 5:30 pm #2

This is "in the spirit of Zed's Diety OCC chalange". The goal is one city with 20K culture. Are we limited to building one city?
Ed

T-hawk
T-hawk

January 9th, 2004, 9:15 pm #3

Sorry for the ambiguity. No, it isn't intended to be restricted to an OCC (it's not how I played it), although you could play it as an OCC if you wanted.

Charis
Charis

January 9th, 2004, 11:32 pm #4

No???? :wink:

I was hoping to post "Done!" last night with the
question, "So were we supposed to be OCC?" but something unexpected came up. That's all for now. :P

Charis

January 15th, 2004, 7:16 am #5

Anyone looking for something to play while waiting for the confused people at Firaxis to figure things out regarding the FP in Conquests? In the spirit of Zed's Deity OCC challenge from last year, take a look at this.

Here's a shot at something I'd always wanted to do in PTW: accomplishing a 20k cultural win as fast as possible, making heavy use of Great Leaders.

Game parameters:

Here's why I picked Japan. Militaristic and religious are pretty obvious traits for this challenge - the first for Great Leaders and the second for shorter anarchy which directly translates to an earlier win. And a militaristic civ can avoid triggering an unwanted early Golden Age, as the only militaristic ancient wonder is the Great Wall which comes at the end of the age. Finally, the later Japanese UU is better than early GA-triggering Aztec Jaguars.

I tried a game on Monarch difficulty, but it proved to be way too easy; an archer rush could take out all the enemy capitals before they even got started. So Emperor it is.

I rolled starts several times, looking for a good combination of coastal access, fresh water, and at least one food bonus. Eventually got this:

If anyone wants to take up the challenge, I strongly suggest settling one tile southwest from the start. (I determined that from peeking under the fog, but not all graphic setups will allow that.)

If anyone wants to try this, go for it! (Play in PTW 1.27f.) I'll post back asking for any results, say two weeks before the first official Epic of the new season closes.
Hi,

I've completed this game yesterday, and it had been a lot of fun! More time-consuming than an OCC, but certainly a lot faster than a normal game, so I hope some people play this - too bad it wasn't made to be an official Epic game. Lots of different strategical options involved, I'm curious to see how others decided to play this!

-Kylearan
Last edited by Kylearan on January 15th, 2004, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 15th, 2004, 6:49 pm #6

Cooked. Er... I mean done. Will be interested to see other results too :P

Charis

January 19th, 2004, 1:23 pm #7

Game parameters:

Hi,

It looks interesting, but I am unable to extract anything from the .zip file. Could you check, or perhaps post a link to the unzipped file(s)?

Ribannah

T-hawk
T-hawk

January 19th, 2004, 4:23 pm #8

If you're using Windows XP zip functionality, try downloading and using Winzip instead. The XP stuff seems to be not quite compatible in some instances.

Or, here's a link to an unzipped copy which might be easier for you. (I haven't tested the download, just unzipped it directly with a shell command on my server.)

http://www.dos486.com/civ3/japan-20k/Ja ... 4000bc.sav

Ribannah
Ribannah

January 19th, 2004, 5:09 pm #9

The link to the .sav file works.

T-hawk
T-hawk

February 2nd, 2004, 10:55 pm #10

Game parameters:

Not to distract from Epic 38, but one week from today I'll post back asking for any results for this one if anyone would like to share. A week's enough time to play it if anyone still wants to..