Today is the greatest...

Today is the greatest...

September 3rd, 2002, 1:46 pm #1

...day I've ever known

Well, that's the line of a popular rock song. Seriously though, today, for me happened to be one of the most awesome experiences of my life. It just had a great "feeling" to it.

I am a strong believer in the idea that your surroundings heavily influence your mood. Well, where I live, today was a warm, sunny day. One of those days that makes you wanna jump out of bed with excitement. It felt like I was in love (which I clearly am not). It was that good.

Now, what does this post has to do with Diablo/Civ III/NWN? Nothing. But you know what, I don't care. As some of you know, I've been very depressed on and off over the last few years. So me feeling this great must mean that something is changing. So to everyone on this board who responded to my posts about real life: Thank you. Talking through these things (both with rl friends and online friends) has really helped. I have really improved a heap over the last month or two. There are still moments... but they are becoming less frequent. Who knows, maybe sometime I'll actually resemble normality .

And for those of you who couldn't care... ignore this post at your pleasure.

-Smegged

PS The quoted lyric has a double meaning, as the songwriter wrote it on a day when he was feeling suicidal. So it kinda relates to the idea that I wasn't feeling great for a long time...

September 4th, 2002, 4:40 am #2

I find that life is best handled day by day, with a few tins of Wintergreen Altoids, a few bottles of IBC Cream Soda, and good friends to talk to.

Smashing Pumpkins is a good band. I like em. I like the song Zero and Bullet With Butterfly Wings.

September 4th, 2002, 9:48 am #3

...is that the generation gap between my generation and my parents is not that great. Rock music has been a uniting force, which is a very good thing IMO . My favourite band is Led Zeppelin, and they had broken up before I was born . I only wish I had have been around for the unLeded concert a while back.

Hopefully rock music will continue to unite people for generations to come .

Sirian
Sirian

September 4th, 2002, 11:46 am #4

...day I've ever known

Well, that's the line of a popular rock song. Seriously though, today, for me happened to be one of the most awesome experiences of my life. It just had a great "feeling" to it.

I am a strong believer in the idea that your surroundings heavily influence your mood. Well, where I live, today was a warm, sunny day. One of those days that makes you wanna jump out of bed with excitement. It felt like I was in love (which I clearly am not). It was that good.

Now, what does this post has to do with Diablo/Civ III/NWN? Nothing. But you know what, I don't care. As some of you know, I've been very depressed on and off over the last few years. So me feeling this great must mean that something is changing. So to everyone on this board who responded to my posts about real life: Thank you. Talking through these things (both with rl friends and online friends) has really helped. I have really improved a heap over the last month or two. There are still moments... but they are becoming less frequent. Who knows, maybe sometime I'll actually resemble normality .

-Smegged

PS The quoted lyric has a double meaning, as the songwriter wrote it on a day when he was feeling suicidal. So it kinda relates to the idea that I wasn't feeling great for a long time...
Life is sweet, even if sometimes sticky. Enjoy it as much you can, appreciate it for what it is, and by all means, please keep sharing with the rest of us. If this thing were meant to be a lonely experience, we'd each have our own planet, or something like that.

- Sirian

ShadowHM
ShadowHM

September 4th, 2002, 2:16 pm #5

...is that the generation gap between my generation and my parents is not that great. Rock music has been a uniting force, which is a very good thing IMO . My favourite band is Led Zeppelin, and they had broken up before I was born . I only wish I had have been around for the unLeded concert a while back.

Hopefully rock music will continue to unite people for generations to come .
I am privileged to have many multi-generational friends.

One of the best is a grandma/mom/daughter group. I relate to all three, individually and collectively (although the collectively is occasionally strained when they all look to me to help sort out their differences).

Another one is a grandma/father/daughter group. Grandma is the most interesting of the lot, her son is my favourite crokinole partner, and the daughter is a strong-minded person heading off in her own direction.

It isn't necessarily music that provides the links. I still cannot enjoy Eminem, for example. But there is always something to share if you go looking for it.

Drasca
Drasca

September 4th, 2002, 7:19 pm #6

...day I've ever known

-Smegged

I'm glad to hear you're feeling simply good. This forum isn't limited to gaming stuff... but we all knew that

I've personally been.. busy. Happily busy--mostly. I'm ambivalent at the moment as the tides of fortune and seem to be very chaotic as of late. Periods of joy, nothingness, antipathy towards life are very chancy upon random encounters. That and my (downcast) self-image hasn't quite caught up with the mirror world (good) image I've managed to project to others recently. Rimmer's mind couldn't accept happiness or success, and I'm trailing a little behind on that myself. My god, I'm turning into an extrovert! Ahhhhh! =)

Fair tidings fellow warrior, may your journey always bear fruit.

-Drasca, who has little clue what he just typed... but still a Red Dwarf fan

September 5th, 2002, 4:02 am #7

I am privileged to have many multi-generational friends.

One of the best is a grandma/mom/daughter group. I relate to all three, individually and collectively (although the collectively is occasionally strained when they all look to me to help sort out their differences).

Another one is a grandma/father/daughter group. Grandma is the most interesting of the lot, her son is my favourite crokinole partner, and the daughter is a strong-minded person heading off in her own direction.

It isn't necessarily music that provides the links. I still cannot enjoy Eminem, for example. But there is always something to share if you go looking for it.
Eminem - can't stand him. Just the whole attitude plus the fact that his music (can you even call it that?) stinks. But I suppose someone enjoys it out there. Me, I'm more of a rock fan myself.

As to the main point of your post, I agree. You have to find things in common with those older than you or you end up going insane. Working regularly with a 44 year old has taught me that .

Occhi
Occhi

September 5th, 2002, 8:09 pm #8

I find that life is best handled day by day, with a few tins of Wintergreen Altoids, a few bottles of IBC Cream Soda, and good friends to talk to.

Smashing Pumpkins is a good band. I like em. I like the song Zero and Bullet With Butterfly Wings.
Guinness slow poured from the tap in a 20 Imperial ounce glass . . . then slowly swallowed, leaving a nice thick white moustache on one's upper lip.

Well, since we were listing good things, I thought I would chip in.

Occhi

McFrugal
McFrugal

September 6th, 2002, 2:55 am #9

...day I've ever known

-Smegged

I feel like this every day, after taking one of my medications that, along with helping me get past my social anxiety, has an added effect of an anti-depressant.

However, that's not the only reason. I've... found someone that I really genuinely care for. He's the main reason I want to move forward in life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gay, and neither is he, anyway. Of course, I do sometimes wish that were different, but that leads me to wonder if we would even be the same people then... Regardless, he's become my motivation behind most of what I do, because I want to know him better, and I want to let him know me better.

It's really a good feeling when you've got someone who can understand you. That song by Frank Sinatra is true, your life does gain more meaning when you find someone to love.

I guess this might be a bit personal for a public forum, but I thought it was on-topic. Also I'm not really sure if he knows that I feel this way, since I feel like I have to constantly watch myself to keep from creeping him out by looking like some kind of stalker... So right now I feel like I have to tell someone other than my therapist, and it seemed pretty safe to assume he doesn't read this forum. I suppose I might have been more hesitant to post this a while ago, but since I'm not really active in the Diablo community now, I figure it won't matter if people here know, whatever their opinion might be.

McFrugal