The quickest route to level 6 using the NWN Campaign...

The quickest route to level 6 using the NWN Campaign...

Lissa
Lissa

August 8th, 2002, 9:21 pm #1

Run through the Prelude 4 times solo (no summons, no familiars, no Pavel) and kill everything you can going through runs 2 - 4 (this means killing all the gobbos in the training area). This will leave you about 1k to 500 ep shy of lvl 6.

Run 2, the gobbos and weak skellies are 50 ep each. This will take you to level 4

Run 3, the gobbos and weak skellies are 42 ep each. This will take you to level 5.

Run 4, the gobbos and week skellies are 53 ep ean. This will take you close to lvl 6. I don't know why they go up in ep considering they are just as easy to kill (1 damage and they die).

WarLocke
WarLocke

August 8th, 2002, 10:04 pm #2

there's No Telling what people will do nowadays

Lissa
Lissa

August 8th, 2002, 10:34 pm #3

Just get a number of duplicate items as the chests and certain drops (Tough Gobbo and the End Mage) are always the same... =Þ

FoxBat
FoxBat

August 9th, 2002, 5:17 am #4

Maybe a semi-hijack, but it seems to me that maybe legit can't mean for NWN what it used to for Diablo.

That is, in Diablo, you usually did not go about moving characters between normal and mod, and still call yourself "legit." In RBNWN I see this happening often enough.

Arguably this is why Bioware has so hard-coded magic properties and character attirbutes, though much of this would go out the window if people weren't so afraid of those D2A files.

This makes me wonder if there even is a such thing as "legit" for NWN. Although running around with lvl 20 chars with the very best possible items can't be fun for too long.

In which case, the real purpose of "server vaults" are to make sure your players abide by your rules and only your rules, not those of whatever other module they'd like the character to pass through.

Lissa
Lissa

August 9th, 2002, 5:57 am #5

When someone sets up a server, they can turn on and turn off certain aspects that make a character legit or not legit. One is checking the attributes and such to make sure everything conforms. Another is to check items worn to make sure that the lvl requirement for the item is not higher than the character using said item. So, there is a sence of legitness in NWN.

The best anology to legitness in Diablo would be that the above mentioned switches would be there to tell if someone is using a hack or a dupe vs. someone that is not. By turning off those switches, you could allow someone in Diablo terms to basically be lvl 99 with GPOW, KSOH, and a few OB/Zods or Dragon/Zods running around or with them turned on, only items they've found in game and a lvl that is allowable by the game.

August 9th, 2002, 9:51 am #6

Maybe a semi-hijack, but it seems to me that maybe legit can't mean for NWN what it used to for Diablo.

That is, in Diablo, you usually did not go about moving characters between normal and mod, and still call yourself "legit." In RBNWN I see this happening often enough.

Arguably this is why Bioware has so hard-coded magic properties and character attirbutes, though much of this would go out the window if people weren't so afraid of those D2A files.

This makes me wonder if there even is a such thing as "legit" for NWN. Although running around with lvl 20 chars with the very best possible items can't be fun for too long.

In which case, the real purpose of "server vaults" are to make sure your players abide by your rules and only your rules, not those of whatever other module they'd like the character to pass through.
If you modify the d2a files, doesn't it modify every item of that type? Like if I want to make a greatsword (ONE greatsword) that weighs half as much and only does 2d4 damage, don't I have to modify the greatsword type (and therefore all greatswords) in this manner?

Also, can 2da files be module specific? Don't they have to be put in the override directory, meaning that users would need to remove them if they wanted to play a different module?

FoxBat
FoxBat

August 9th, 2002, 3:13 pm #7

You can put them in hakpaks. I'm not sure if the client will always be required to download the hakpak, may depend on what you are doing.

I haven't looked yet but I bet you can make a new weapon type for your half-weight greatsword, much as you can make new classes.

August 9th, 2002, 6:09 pm #8

I guess being able to do it is better than not being able to do it, but I don't understand why they didn't just do it like they did in BG-- make the item a "weapon", assign it damage, weight, a proficiency type, and magic modifiers.

Actually, I do understand, it is a half-assed attempt at policing cheaters. Cheaters are cheaters, whether they give themselves all custom items without doing anything to earn them and free 20 levels of experience through some NPC they made, or they have a greatsword that deals 100d100 + 100 and are 99th level. I don't want to play with them either way, and all they have done is make it hard for me to create custom equipment for my module, or tell if someone is actually cheating or not. I'd prefer to give cheaters free reign, as most of them will be painfully obvious about it if they have the capability.

I find it annoying that some things that are super easy to do with IEEP are not doable at all with the NWN toolset-- you have to actually modify the basic weapon types files. Sure, this isn't hard, it just feels stupid from a programming perspective.

NWN is a step backwards from BG2 when you look at the game design, and the NWN toolset's method of creating items is far inferior to IEEP.

That rant was satisfying.