The next game.

The next game.

March 29th, 2002, 1:00 am #1

Around the 1st of next month, I will be getting a small amount of cash from a dividend check and I have decided to get another game.

Majesty was a fluke. I bought that on impulse. Stupid over addictive demo! My gaming choices are usually more thought out.

I ruled Civ3 out. To many bugs Mac side. To many faults period. Just a rehash of Civ2 with better graphics and worse AI from all I have gathered.

The Sims is still to expensive for my tastes. Call me a cheapskate, but, I buy from the bargain racks (I have the cash... No worries. It's just I know I will get bored with a game sooner or later and that is money down the hole)

Summoner looks good. But, it is still buggy as all hell on the Mac. I think I will wait.

Giants Citizen Kabuto. Not my sort of game really.

Black and White is horribly broken Mac side. Sound issues, corrupted save files, multiplayer is still not totally working, so many issues. What might have been a game that is right up my alley is eaten alive by major bugs.

Lineage. Requires monthly fee. Next.

Which brings me down to something I have been considering for a good long while. And I can get it dirt cheap.

Baldur's Gate. And the Tales of the Sword Coast as well. Most of the Mac issues have been ironed out. Multiplayer with peecee folks still has major issues though. This is the one sour point.

For those on this board that read this, tell me more about the game. I have read all the reviews. I don't want a power gamer review. I want the variant perspective. Hard facts. Real opinions that matter. You know... What most of you folks are good at. Picking a game apart and getting to the juicy meaty bits that matter. Fill me in. How has your BG experience been?

Thanks in advance

March 29th, 2002, 4:39 am #2

This really is a game that you should play for the single player experience, multiplay is not very well thought out, and they don't even pretend to filter out cheats (their advice: Don't play MP with people you think will cheat. Good advice, but not the answer most people are looking for). If you can get into it, it will have you hooked for a good long while just on those merits alone. If you do buy it, buy Tales of the Sword Coast, the expansion, along with it (it raises the experience cap above the 89,000 for the first game, and adds some new items and new areas to explore).

I don't know if this is an option for Mac, but for the PC at least there is a 3-disc special set called "The Original Saga" which contains the original 5 CD set plus the expansion. There's also a DVD version (what I have), which is just the original 5 discs put onto a DVD, but I don't know if this is an option for Macs.

And once you're done you'll want to buy Baldur's Gate 2 and the Throne of Bhaal expansions, as you can carry your old character through the continuing storyline. You may just want to start at BG2 to begin with, there's still plenty of story to chew on and you have more options for your player character (like character kits, plus classes they didn't have in BG1 like Monks or Sorcerors).

-CC

March 29th, 2002, 12:45 pm #3

Around the 1st of next month, I will be getting a small amount of cash from a dividend check and I have decided to get another game.

Majesty was a fluke. I bought that on impulse. Stupid over addictive demo! My gaming choices are usually more thought out.

I ruled Civ3 out. To many bugs Mac side. To many faults period. Just a rehash of Civ2 with better graphics and worse AI from all I have gathered.

The Sims is still to expensive for my tastes. Call me a cheapskate, but, I buy from the bargain racks (I have the cash... No worries. It's just I know I will get bored with a game sooner or later and that is money down the hole)

Summoner looks good. But, it is still buggy as all hell on the Mac. I think I will wait.

Black and White is horribly broken Mac side. Sound issues, corrupted save files, multiplayer is still not totally working, so many issues. What might have been a game that is right up my alley is eaten alive by major bugs.

Which brings me down to something I have been considering for a good long while. And I can get it dirt cheap.

Baldur's Gate. And the Tales of the Sword Coast as well. Most of the Mac issues have been ironed out. Multiplayer with peecee folks still has major issues though. This is the one sour point.

For those on this board that read this, tell me more about the game. I have read all the reviews. I don't want a power gamer review. I want the variant perspective. Hard facts. Real opinions that matter. You know... What most of you folks are good at. Picking a game apart and getting to the juicy meaty bits that matter. Fill me in. How has your BG experience been?

Thanks in advance
Hi,

I never finished BG/ToSC (bad CD, long wait for a replacement, lost interest in my character) so I may not be the best person to give the advice. However I did try playing it MP a couple of times. It doesn't really work. For one thing, even in multi you have a party leader and his followers. Sounds good in principle but doesn't work in practice, not enough freedom for the followers. And, every time there is a conversation with an NPC, everyone has to sit through it. Not that that matters much, since there isn't any variety in the game. It's the same every time you play it, the only difference being your choice of what order to do things and what to skip.

Now, the SP game is a lot of fun and well worth the admission fee (even at full retail when new). And there is enough material in the game that it will kill a lot of your gaming hours. But for multi? Not in my book.

--Pete

March 29th, 2002, 7:21 pm #4

The MP aspect is a little bit screwy. I was hoping for a little action with my fellow RBDers.

All things considered, I think I will buy this game. The Mac community has made some mods for it, which could extend the life of the product. There is also the Dark Side of the Sword Coast. (A mac and peecee mod that looks interesting)

Getting back to D&D should be fun. I think I will bring back my old Dwarven Cleric Agnut the Agitated to BG. I hope there is a way to cheat his stats Agnut was nothing special really... I am looking at his char sheet right now. (My old binder is collecting dust) Str 15 Dex 14 Con 19 Int 12 Wis 18 Chr 17. (Nearly perfect rolls for some stats... Very charismatic for a dwarf.) Agnut regenerated hit points at 19 con... however I am seeing on the Gamebanshee site that it takes 20 Con to regen in BG. Could somebody actually confirm this? I thought BG used D&D rules. 2 edition changed a lot of things I reckon. (When I played it was just D&D. AD&D came later along with editions.)

I also noticed that in BGII you can play half orcs. Why half orcs? There is a very limited race selection here. I have played Ogres. And after playing Ogres half orcs seem so pansy. (Playing Ogres or half ogres is great fun. Enemy must make saving throw vs fear or run away) Also left out are racial bonuses. You can have elves, but, not drow and their special benifits and downsides. Halflings have no racial stock profile. (Pure Stout! Only way to go! )

Oh well. I guess nothing is perfect.

Carbon
Carbon

March 29th, 2002, 7:57 pm #5

You can, of course, hax0r your character's stats with a third party program and be done with it.

Or, if you are so inclined, you can just sit there at character generation and hit the reroll button for an hour. You can reassign stat points to suit (so long as you observe racial/class minimums), so if you can pull together any combination of stats that sum up to 95 (which is towards the higher end of the spectrum as it is roughly an average of 16, though many munchkin BGers will roll until they score above 100 in sum), you can recreate that character's stats exactly. As for hp regeneration, I hardly ever make a character with over 16 constitution (or less than 16; 16 is a nice number for Con), so I don't know when the regeneration actually starts, or what benefit a Con of 19 will bring for a non-fighter (for races who only can go up to 18 or lower, there's no real benefit to a Con higher than 16 except for fighters, or so I am told).

There is a dwarven cleric NPC that can join your party who regenerates hp, but you can't get to him until fairly late in the game and he may have 20 Con, so he might be a bad example.

If you are unwilling to hack, but find yourself one or two points short on total stats, there are some items available fairly early on that raise Charisma by a total of 3 (one adds one point of Cha permanently, the other provides +2 charisma while worn), so you can cheat a bit on that end if you find yourself just a little short.

As for player races...the player is meant to coexist at least somewhat peacefully with people in general, half-orc is about as monsterish as you can get away with and still interact with society. As for a lack of subraces/racial stock...Bioware has something against the Drow, since they seemingly have done this with Neverwinter Nights, too (i.e. you can make your char LOOK like a drow, but it's really just a generic elf with bad complexion).

McFrugal
McFrugal

March 30th, 2002, 3:49 am #6

The MP aspect is a little bit screwy. I was hoping for a little action with my fellow RBDers.

All things considered, I think I will buy this game. The Mac community has made some mods for it, which could extend the life of the product. There is also the Dark Side of the Sword Coast. (A mac and peecee mod that looks interesting)

Getting back to D&D should be fun. I think I will bring back my old Dwarven Cleric Agnut the Agitated to BG. I hope there is a way to cheat his stats Agnut was nothing special really... I am looking at his char sheet right now. (My old binder is collecting dust) Str 15 Dex 14 Con 19 Int 12 Wis 18 Chr 17. (Nearly perfect rolls for some stats... Very charismatic for a dwarf.) Agnut regenerated hit points at 19 con... however I am seeing on the Gamebanshee site that it takes 20 Con to regen in BG. Could somebody actually confirm this? I thought BG used D&D rules. 2 edition changed a lot of things I reckon. (When I played it was just D&D. AD&D came later along with editions.)

I also noticed that in BGII you can play half orcs. Why half orcs? There is a very limited race selection here. I have played Ogres. And after playing Ogres half orcs seem so pansy. (Playing Ogres or half ogres is great fun. Enemy must make saving throw vs fear or run away) Also left out are racial bonuses. You can have elves, but, not drow and their special benifits and downsides. Halflings have no racial stock profile. (Pure Stout! Only way to go! )

Oh well. I guess nothing is perfect.
There are some great class kits that are generally unused in the powergaming sphere. For instance, there's Druids in general, the Fighter kits... Well, go check out the forums and/or FAQs to find out which ones are the more interesting ones. I myself am kinda interested in the Wizard Slayer and Wild Mage.

McFrugal

Drasca
Drasca

March 30th, 2002, 5:32 am #7

Thanks in advance
Bah! Says I. I'll have you know I have a very good taste in games.

I tried Tropico for the Mac. It worked pretty well (no bugs, just slowdown once in a while), but like many "Sim" games it is a bit open-ended and demands of expansion make a stagnated "perfect little town" impossible to sustain.

Escape Velocity: Nova, like its counterparts, is extremely expandable and has large fan-base. EV, and EVO were extremely modifiable. A plug-ins folder is standard and EV-edit worked very well.

Actually, the game files can be edited with Resedit if one so chose.

Hmm. If you can, find "Oni" by Bungie or "Fallout" by interplay in the Mac bargain bins (that is, if you have not tried them already).

Has anyone played Myth III? I tried running it on my Mac, but its Graphics Card requirements are a bit too steep. I can barely run it, but it didn't seem worth it.

March 31st, 2002, 9:46 am #8

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete (for mac). Excellent game, found in bargain bins but still... =)

-Drasca

WarLocke
WarLocke

April 1st, 2002, 6:39 am #9

Thanks in advance
Trust me. Just find a Worms game (I know Worms 2 was ported to mac, not sure about Worms: Armageddon or Worms World Party) and buy it. They should be in bargain racks, too.

There is nothing to compare Worms to. Worms is its' own genre. All hail the Worms.

- WL