Speaking of gaming news....

Speaking of gaming news....

Lissa
Lissa

January 27th, 2003, 3:45 pm #1

Did anyone happen to catch an article on Yahoo Finacial last week? Looks like WoW, Star Craft X, War Craft X, and Diablo X will be brought to you by Microsoft as Microsoft has bought out Vivendis. Blizzard is now part of the MS family of game developers.

January 27th, 2003, 5:37 pm #2

As of three days ago, the reports I was seeing were still "provisional" "in talks to acquire" "seriously considering". Have you got a link to something that actually says "MICROSOFT BUYS VIVENDI UNIVERSAL LLC GAMES DIVISION"?

-Skan

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

January 27th, 2003, 6:11 pm #3

Maybe now the games will come out on time and not be patched all together ala typical Blizzard stuff.

Hrm, Diablo where all the trees/skills were balanced for all phases of the game, immunities made sense, there were no "uber-builds" and teamwork was actually required not "extra", imagine that.

Occhi
Occhi

January 27th, 2003, 7:13 pm #4

As of three days ago, the reports I was seeing were still "provisional" "in talks to acquire" "seriously considering". Have you got a link to something that actually says "MICROSOFT BUYS VIVENDI UNIVERSAL LLC GAMES DIVISION"?

-Skan
Still keeping the eyes peeled . . . and I did not see a new article confirming yet this morning when I looked.

January 29th, 2003, 2:57 pm #5

Hi,

In todays NT Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/29/techn ... sheadlines

So, there are negotiations. And a Microsquish owned Buzzard is a possibility. As is Buzzard doing nothing but x-Bucks. But it's all potential and no realization for now.

--Pete

Occhi
Occhi

January 29th, 2003, 4:03 pm #6

Seems to me that MicroStuff would not be averse to their games being made for all platforms. That way, they make a buck no matter what platform it sells for . . .

January 29th, 2003, 5:50 pm #7

Hi,

Have you been following the X-Bucks fiasco? Microsquish really screwed the financial pouch on this one and have been trying to bail themselves out. One way to do that is to created a bunch of content that is available nowhere else. Even rumors that some decent X-Bucks game (say, Halo) will be released for other platforms or the PC hurts their sales. After all, for now the idea is to sell the box, get people hooked up to the online service, get some content that can charge a monthly rate and make Bill rich. Whoops, too late -- ignore that last bit

--Pete

January 29th, 2003, 7:10 pm #8

...they knew from day one that they were going to be dead in the whole. IIRC, even with the STARTING cost ($400, IIRC) they were losing somewhere in the range of $150 - $200 per unit sold. It's no suprise that they're in the whole with the X-Box. What did surprise them, however, is how horribly the X-Box was taken. :P Didn't surprise me one bit though. In fact, I was glad. >:D

We'll see what happens. Here's hoping MS does NOT get Vivendi.

Roland The Gunslinger
The Diablo Strategy Compendium
http://www.diablosc.com/
The Diablo Strategy Compendium Forums
http://www.diablosc.com/cgi-bin/dcboard/dcforum.cgi

Occhiq
Occhiq

January 29th, 2003, 9:48 pm #9

Hi,

Have you been following the X-Bucks fiasco? Microsquish really screwed the financial pouch on this one and have been trying to bail themselves out. One way to do that is to created a bunch of content that is available nowhere else. Even rumors that some decent X-Bucks game (say, Halo) will be released for other platforms or the PC hurts their sales. After all, for now the idea is to sell the box, get people hooked up to the online service, get some content that can charge a monthly rate and make Bill rich. Whoops, too late -- ignore that last bit

--Pete
On 'The Gord's' site. I have also seen discussions at slash dot. XBox is a loss leader, and a blatant attempt to play catch up. And the key issue is . . . are the games anygood?

As I see it, they have already lost the money on the Xbox, in terms of the $500,000,000 in sunk costs to develop it. Water under the bridge. Bill only really has to answer to himself on that score.

If they take on a superb game making division, they can make some of that money back by making the gaming, the soft ware, which is where BG made his dough in the first place, the premiere piece and a better wedge into the door of the game market.

Let's say there are five million PS2's out there and only 400,000 XBox's. Make the title playable on both . . . and you make profits both ways on . . . software. If he then gets a huge hit on Xbox, he may be able to keep having it both ways, and sell a whole bunch of XBox's.

What XBox proved to me was that in his first attempt at being a hardware, vice software, producer, BG ate one. He still does not build PC's, does he?

So mayhap BG and his guys are trying a different approach that is analagous to the model that made him a fortune: get good and popular software on the street in large quantities.

I realize that the hardware centric issues and portability of console games are different from PC game challenges: however, he does have the dough to hire smart enough people to solve those problems.

I don't see Sony losing their edge any time soon, since they continue to attract good game designers.

January 29th, 2003, 11:11 pm #10

Hi,

What XBox proved to me was that in his first attempt at being a hardware, vice software, producer, BG ate one. He still does not build PC's, does he?

Microsquish keyboards, mice, joysticks, NICs, Broadband Ethernet Base Station. And that was just what I found from one online retailer. I'd say Microsquish has crossed the line into hardware a long time ago -- back when they were making extended memory boards in the mid '80s.

Of course they don't build PC's -- no margin there

Microsquish doesn't "compete" in the markets they select. They either dominate or leave. At least, that's been their MO till now. I don't think that they are interested in paying royalties and creating a market for someone else's console. My guess, if they get out of the X-Bucks business, they'll get out of the console business completely -- including games. They have the ability to make much money in PC games and they don't have to share that with anyone.

Just my take, based on watching The Redmond Raider in action over the last twenty years. Tigers and spots, you know?

--Pete
Last edited by --Pete on January 29th, 2003, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.