Slacker Questions

Slacker Questions

Occhi
Occhi

December 7th, 2003, 10:42 pm #1

Are we on tonight?

Is everyone caught up?

I did the Hell Forge this afternoon to catch that up for my char.

See you later.

Zed
Zed

December 7th, 2003, 11:18 pm #2

Whether everyone is caught up I can't say, but Syztah is ready to go...

Zed
Zed

December 8th, 2003, 1:28 pm #3

Are we on tonight?

Is everyone caught up?

See you later.
For CH's benefit, we managed to finish up Normal difficulty last night, and have finished A1Q1 and A1Q2 in nightmare. If you want some company catching up, give us a shout. Hope your and your neighbor's situation is looking up.

Regarding having a single chest-opener for MF/GF purposes: we did this with CH when we were playing our open version of these characters and we worked out a system of unspoken rules just through play. Since some of you were obviously not present for that experience, let me ourline some of our findings in that regard.

Firstly, the chest-popper should be someone who does not have any particular restrictions on where he needs to be to contribute in a fight. The zoomancer necro is perfect for this since he relies almost purely on his minions for his contribution and can cast curses from anywhere on the battlefield if necessary. Since CH is (hopefully temporarily) on hiatus, we should try to pick a player who has freedom of movement even during combat. I know Shadow has the Rhyme shield atm, but it is relatively easy to purchase MF/GF gloves, boots, and belt that would easily outstrip the Rhyme shield's contribution. Moreover, Shadow's character must remain close to the monsters for her to be able to contribute to a battle, and so (a) must worry more about defense for her other non-shield slots and (b) has very limited freedom to wander and open chests. Conviction has a substantially larger radius, so Slacklight can just putter around behind the lines with more impunity, and would make a better second choice while CH is away. My suggestion would be to not worry about Rhyme for the moment; let Slacklight go purchase some good MF/GF stuff and take on the chest-popping role, muling any gear he might want to save for when CH returns.

Secondly, we can usually explore and kill mobs much faster than one person can open chests and sift through their contents. The chest-popper's job is to open chests, not pick stuff up. If you (as the chest-popper) see something particularily juicy, feel free, but regular stuff and gold should be left for everyone else to pick up -- it is more important to just open a chest and move on to the next one, even without waiting for the contents to hit the ground. Things will flow more smoothly if we don't have to wait very long for the chest-popper to arrive and open a chest. This will be especially important if we use MF instead of GF, since inventory space on the chest-popper is limited relative to that of the whole team.

Thirdly, not every chest needs to be opened by the designated chest-popper; we do want to keep the flow of the game moving, after all. If you find a chest or set of barrels and the chest-popper is on his way to that general area, leave it for the chest-popper to open. If, on the other hand, the chest-popper has already moved on and has simply missed one, don't expect him to go back for it. You might as well open it and get some use out of it rather than leave it to rot. Similarly, if the team splits up, the group without the chest-popper present should go ahead and open chests, as the chest-popper may not even go that direction.

Does that all make sense? Anyone have other ideas, or does that sound good to everyone? Please respond here so we can just go ahead next game and don't have to re-hash this.

December 8th, 2003, 3:43 pm #4

Having Slacklight as the designated chest kicker and barrel slayer sounds fine to me.

Query on game style/tactics:

This is my first 'team' effort in D2. Team efforts in D1 were much easier to sort out in terms of where to go and who leads.

In general, the tank leads and the others follow, picking off the monsters whaling on the tank. Now in this game, we have no tanks. We are all rather fragile (some more so than others - *grins at the nekkid dancer in the crowd*).

I had been thinking that it would be more a matter of what skills are being developed to make that determination about who goes first. And, since TyeFune's skill is the one that both slows down the monsters AND has to be close to hit them, I had assumed that he had to lead. Would there be a better candidate? And can we find a pattern of attack that we can (in general) stick to that works most effectively and gets us killed the least often?

I know that there are times and places where splitting up is a Good Thing™, but I am asking about the normal pattern for our group to adopt.

Then:

Even on the splitting up part - I know that when we diverged in the Ancient's Way, TyeFune was incredibly grateful for the presence of VandyGraff near him. Happy feet I am trying to achieve, but I am not as good at it as I would like. Thunderstorm whacking at the monsters that strayed too close was a fine thing, as was the constant healing from her mercenary.

What I am getting at in this is that when we do split up, there will be some 'micro-teams' that work better together than others. Can we talk about what they might be so as to be more effective when those times arrive too?

Occhi
Occhi

December 8th, 2003, 4:23 pm #5

Agree with Zed on Slacklight as the "kickin MF!" Agree entirely with Zed's MF discussion, Amen Deacon!

My Merc died to Baal. He was level 20, so I took the opportunity to hire a Rogue, level 36, after we took down NM Blood Raven. I hammered that wench, by golly, and it only took 5 blue pots to do it! (Please don't hate me ) I also realized that I have yet another flawless skull in stash, why I did not see it last night I have no clue.

I also have in my stash a two socketed Circlet that I wish to turn into an Ort/Sol "Lore" hat.

I have two Flawless Rubies and one Perfect Ruby, plus a few odds and ends. Am interested in knowing if anyone else wants to craft Blood items.

I seek to use Blood Belts, Blood Gloves, Blood Amulets, Blood Rings. Not boots, hats or Armor, of course, being a Burlesque Dancer.

What other uses for Rubies are envisioned by the team?

My ears is open.

Zed
Zed

December 8th, 2003, 4:57 pm #6

Having Slacklight as the designated chest kicker and barrel slayer sounds fine to me.

Query on game style/tactics:

This is my first 'team' effort in D2. Team efforts in D1 were much easier to sort out in terms of where to go and who leads.

In general, the tank leads and the others follow, picking off the monsters whaling on the tank. Now in this game, we have no tanks. We are all rather fragile (some more so than others - *grins at the nekkid dancer in the crowd*).

I had been thinking that it would be more a matter of what skills are being developed to make that determination about who goes first. And, since TyeFune's skill is the one that both slows down the monsters AND has to be close to hit them, I had assumed that he had to lead. Would there be a better candidate? And can we find a pattern of attack that we can (in general) stick to that works most effectively and gets us killed the least often?

I know that there are times and places where splitting up is a Good Thing™, but I am asking about the normal pattern for our group to adopt.

Then:

Even on the splitting up part - I know that when we diverged in the Ancient's Way, TyeFune was incredibly grateful for the presence of VandyGraff near him. Happy feet I am trying to achieve, but I am not as good at it as I would like. Thunderstorm whacking at the monsters that strayed too close was a fine thing, as was the constant healing from her mercenary.

What I am getting at in this is that when we do split up, there will be some 'micro-teams' that work better together than others. Can we talk about what they might be so as to be more effective when those times arrive too?
Currently, point men are defined more by temprament and playstyle than anything else. Those of us who are more impatient sorts have tended to take point, while those who are content to follow do so. I have noticed Bouncing Bully and Slacklight taking the lead more than TyrFune, but that could just be my perception.

Do we want to have a more formal designation for who our point men are, or are we too slack for that level of organization?

Telemont
Telemont

December 9th, 2003, 3:42 am #7

That Rhyme shield is much better left on Shadow, and I wouldn't dream of having it any other way. However, if the keeper of the Perfect Topaz does not mind, I would fancy three of them as soon as we run across our first three socket helm :D

As for why I tend to run out ahead of the group, well.. that's kind of complicated. I'm an ages old player of Everquest and Asheron's Call, and as such have developed quite a 'Puller' mentality. I actually enjoy cruising around and drawing monsters back to the party. This has several minor offhand advantages in lending an extra second for Conviction to stick on the monsters, as well as causing them to funnel towards the onrushing group and naturally trickle into a 'one-by-one' formation, instead of us walking into a pack of them. As any tactician can tell you, denying the enemy focused fire is a death scentence. Another reason is because early on we tended to waffle and hesitate about what direction we were going, as well as often splitting up. I observed that one or two people picking a direction would result in the group quietly streaming in that direction. So I simply started actively doing so.

Now the funny thing you have to ask yourself is, "Does that nutball really think about each of these things in the middle of game play?" On that count, I plead the fifth :P

Occhi
Occhi

December 9th, 2003, 8:42 pm #8

Are we on tonight?

Is everyone caught up?

See you later.
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/inde ... a8151971cf

Zatar looks like he might be another Variant Scum who has not yet "found himself." I've invited him to drop by and say hi to everyone.

Zed
Zed

December 9th, 2003, 9:46 pm #9

I have actually done something similar previously while playing FoS. One of the keys to my ability to get my HC sorcy to Ancients in NM while still in her early 30s (aside from bypassing the Ancients in normal) was skipping most of Act 1 normal. I would get my character up to the outer cloister by running past everything, then start actually fighting once I got to the barracks. I had to start fighting at least minimally there because the quarters are too tight and monsters too dangerous relative to a clvl1 HC character to have a reasonable expectation of survival otherwise; however, because of the clvl-mlvl XP penalty, I would still level relatively slowly. I managed to stay 8-10+ levels behind the clvl-mlvl curve through A5 normal; it was only once I started being forced to kill high XP monsters in the Crystalline passage et. al. (more cramped quarters) that I finally broke clvl20. Once I got to nightmare, monster mlvls jumped again and the xp per monster dropped, so I was good to keep my minimal killing going until I got to the NM Ancients somewhere in my early 30s. Since the monsters were getting more dangerous faster than I was, this was a good thing, as it became an increasing necessity to kill monsters even in relatively open areas.

At that point, since my goal was just to get the character to Hell diff (which was where my main FoS char was at the time -- this was the backup) I went back & did both the normal and NM ancients, jumping her up into her mid-50s and making her vastly more powerful. In hindsight, I should have skipped the NM ancients too and see how far I could have gotten in Hell starting at clvl 35 or so, assuming I could get past Baal and his minions.

December 10th, 2003, 2:43 pm #10

Agree with Zed on Slacklight as the "kickin MF!" Agree entirely with Zed's MF discussion, Amen Deacon!

My Merc died to Baal. He was level 20, so I took the opportunity to hire a Rogue, level 36, after we took down NM Blood Raven. I hammered that wench, by golly, and it only took 5 blue pots to do it! (Please don't hate me ) I also realized that I have yet another flawless skull in stash, why I did not see it last night I have no clue.

I also have in my stash a two socketed Circlet that I wish to turn into an Ort/Sol "Lore" hat.

I have two Flawless Rubies and one Perfect Ruby, plus a few odds and ends. Am interested in knowing if anyone else wants to craft Blood items.

I seek to use Blood Belts, Blood Gloves, Blood Amulets, Blood Rings. Not boots, hats or Armor, of course, being a Burlesque Dancer.

What other uses for Rubies are envisioned by the team?

My ears is open.
Blood Crafted boots might tempt TyeFune (replenish life/plus life) if we got lucky enough to make some that also had that all-important fast/er/est run/walk on them. I suspect that there may be others who would like that benefit also.

I would like to put in a request that VandyGraff's merc get a Lore Hat when we can do it. He seems like the ideal choice among the mercs for plus to skills and improved durability from the Lightning Resist.

BTW, I also have a few Skulls in the stash. Until CelticHound comes back to us, I can look after that collection as well as Diamonds.