Shadows Gold ... Anyone Here?

Shadows Gold ... Anyone Here?

Quark
Quark

June 2nd, 2003, 10:26 pm #1

Well, given that Shadows just went gold and there's a surge of interest over at sevenlances.com for NWN, I was wondering: Is anybody out there?

You guys interested at continuing on like last summer? Before/After the expansion is in stores?

I don't even know if Gris is running her server(s) anymore ...

And personally, I'd love to give a second chance at one of those Pure-D&D rules mods. Given that everyone has time to spare, of course.

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

June 3rd, 2003, 12:22 pm #2

I had been following the progress of Shadows off and on since January, but glad to hear it finally went gold.

I'll probably pick up a copy or two for my wife and myself to give it a spin. I'd also be at least interested in playing assuming everything doesn't happen at midnight-3AM, EST.

June 4th, 2003, 4:16 pm #3

Well, given that Shadows just went gold and there's a surge of interest over at sevenlances.com for NWN, I was wondering: Is anybody out there?

You guys interested at continuing on like last summer? Before/After the expansion is in stores?

And personally, I'd love to give a second chance at one of those Pure-D&D rules mods. Given that everyone has time to spare, of course.
...has only slightly increased from my last post in this forum. The new classes are intriguing, but overall, I don't think they're enough to pull me back into NWN. There just isn't enough there.

It has incredible potential, but it doesn't live up to it, at all. MMO servers are really the only thing going for it, and most of those are very poorly run (or are just too big of a headache to ever want to consider; let me just say that politics can RUIN gaming on a MMO NWN server, no matter how good the world itself is). NWN is nothing more than a glorified toolset and a gaming engine. It's not a game, and it's not really for me. Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale series did it much better, and Morrowind is everything that NWN SHOULD have been but isn't, so I'm holding off on the expansions until I hear a lot more.

I'm EAGERLY awaiting the new Morrowind expansion (they pushed it back two days, damnit). If only the playerbase and community was even remotely as organized and large as NWN's (despite how that community is, for the most part, nothing but B.Net trash), Morrowind would be HUGELY superior to NWN. For now, it's merely largely better, with NWN's SOLE advantage being the ability to completely alter the game world to whatever you wish (that MAY be doable in Morrowind, but I'm certainly not sure of it), rather than simply infinitely add on to it.

For me, Morrowind beats NWN hands down. And between that and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, my money is spent. Maybe I'll pick it up when it hits the bargain bins. :P

Roland The Gunslinger
The Dark Tower Mod
http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/dark_tower/

Nystul
Nystul

June 4th, 2003, 10:27 pm #4

I'm still very much interested in NWN, and if anyone ever organizes a game in my time frame I'd be one of the first to join in. However, the expansion is not in my plans any time soon. Too many other games on the shipping list before that one.

The very nature of the game is such as to not need an expansion, and if nobody is interested in the game pre-expansion I don't see the expansion changing that. One campaign won't give the game legs, even if it's good enough to be worth buying.

June 5th, 2003, 8:03 pm #5

...has only slightly increased from my last post in this forum. The new classes are intriguing, but overall, I don't think they're enough to pull me back into NWN. There just isn't enough there.

It has incredible potential, but it doesn't live up to it, at all. MMO servers are really the only thing going for it, and most of those are very poorly run (or are just too big of a headache to ever want to consider; let me just say that politics can RUIN gaming on a MMO NWN server, no matter how good the world itself is). NWN is nothing more than a glorified toolset and a gaming engine. It's not a game, and it's not really for me. Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale series did it much better, and Morrowind is everything that NWN SHOULD have been but isn't, so I'm holding off on the expansions until I hear a lot more.

I'm EAGERLY awaiting the new Morrowind expansion (they pushed it back two days, damnit). If only the playerbase and community was even remotely as organized and large as NWN's (despite how that community is, for the most part, nothing but B.Net trash), Morrowind would be HUGELY superior to NWN. For now, it's merely largely better, with NWN's SOLE advantage being the ability to completely alter the game world to whatever you wish (that MAY be doable in Morrowind, but I'm certainly not sure of it), rather than simply infinitely add on to it.

For me, Morrowind beats NWN hands down. And between that and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, my money is spent. Maybe I'll pick it up when it hits the bargain bins. :P

Roland The Gunslinger
The Dark Tower Mod
After having talked with a buddy of mine, and reminiscing about the old days, I may just be up for some NWN action eventually. However, don't expect me to be getting the expansion anytime soon. If it'll require the expansion to play together (and, most likely it will), you'll have to count me out. It just doesn't look to be worth my money right now, nor anytime soon, for that matter.

Roland The Gunslinger
The Dark Tower Mod

June 15th, 2003, 5:53 am #6

I'm going to wait for the reviews, and then I may open up NWN again... I'm a beta for Bloodmoon (Morrowind expansion), and I've been focused on that to the exclusion of all other RPGs for a while. I had severe problems finding people to play NWN originally, but if the RB community starts playing again with Shadows, I may give it another shot.

June 15th, 2003, 10:58 pm #7

Isn't it kinda hard to beta test a game that's been out for over a week?

June 17th, 2003, 3:56 am #8

Hits store shelves June 18/th / 19th. Retail price of $29.99.

Not sure if I'll be getting it or not, at least initially. Originally, I had no intentions of getting it, until it hit the bargain bin (and even then). However, recent talk around here (HA!) has gotten me curious about NWN again, and has even sparked me to download (and re-download, for updates) a slew of NWN modules. I still have a bunch stored on my HD (well over 700 MB all told, including Modules and HAK Packs), and I haven't tried more than a handful of them. However, I think it WOULD be nice to start playing again, if it's coop play. SP NWN just isn't as fun as MP, for the most part, and if I wanted to play an SP RPG game, I'd play Morrowind.

Having said that, I think it would be nice to have something similar to what we had before: i.e. a Persistent World setup, that acted as a gateway to other modules. Personally, I think we should make a real Persistent World, for our own private use. However, that is a VERY large undertaking, and I wonder if anyone here has the time, not to mention the skills, to devote to the development and maintanence of such an endeavor. Myself, I'd love to be able to work on a project (provided I could find the time, of course), but I lack any sort of NWN modding skills (as the past will show :P).

In any case, if we're ever going to do anything with NWN, we ought to get some discussion going, no? This forum is a ghost town, and even though my NWN interest is sketchy at best, I wouldn't mind discussion about it, at least. Anything's better than the official boards. :P

I think one big problem, for ALL RB games, is the lack of support, particularly on the website. Not that I'm complaining, as I know it takes a lot of time and energy to maintain a website (particularly one devoted to multiple games); I'm just pointing out an observation. Our previous NWN endeavors suffered from a lack of coordination, communication, and overall support. If we're ever to resurrect interest, these issues will need to be addressed first. Wouldn't you agree?

Anyway, I'm just laying down my thoughts, on NWN and our NWN community. I would like to open up discussion again, but it seems people have their interest elsewhere (which is understandable; I'm no different). Hopefully the pace will pick up in time.

June 19th, 2003, 7:23 am #9

Isn't it kinda hard to beta test a game that's been out for over a week?
We're still around for potential patch solutions and other stuff- I can't say how it works exactly due to the NDA, but the devs do pay attention to post-release problems.

June 19th, 2003, 5:31 pm #10

And I love the devs, too. They really made an INCREDIBLE game. Post-release support is just icing on the cake.

Keep up the good work. And fill me in when the NDA lets loose.