Say...

Say...

Nystul
Nystul

April 21st, 2003, 7:55 pm #1

I have a week of vacation and recently hooked up a dedicated internet connection. Anyone around here still interested in Diablo or NWN?

Charis
Charis

April 22nd, 2003, 12:26 am #2

Nystul??? With highspeed access??

<< faints >>

If there were a NWN game or so this week, I would probably be interested. I've been out of the loop for ages, so don't know what module to suggest. The not-that-new official campaign looks interesting, but it also looks like high NPC interaction geared toward single player.

Heck, if the cry were for Diablo, I might install the game and join in - but having never played it on the PC, would only have new characters available. (I kinda doubt the rust would let me do well at Ironman :P )

Charis

April 22nd, 2003, 3:19 am #3

Come on over to Rolands server. I hear even Classic Diablo is supported now. I have been spending SOME time there for the last few weeks, everything seem to be working ok tho it has some laggier days.

I was waiting for Roland to work out a few bugs before I propose to get VNite going again but this seem good as a time as any.

If we have enuf interest, we might even convince Oof to move the bot over there.

BTW, Roland's server also supports Macs, WC3, CD, CD2 and LoD. The bonus is that all can be in the same channel and see each other, and we know who to bitch at when the server needs work

KoP

April 22nd, 2003, 4:05 am #4

*Come on over to Rolands server. I hear even Classic Diablo is supported now. I have been spending SOME time there for the last few weeks, everything seem to be working ok tho it has some laggier days.*

You're on dial-up, and you're one of the few cases that has lag issues. Most people don't seem to have much of a problem. Then again, alot of people are on high-speed internet.

Oddly enough, the lag was REALLY bad tonight. Even for ME. And I'm talking outside the game, as well. I think something was going on with my ISP. Not sure if the problem still exists or not, but I'm gonna try a reboot when the server clears down a bit to see if that helps any.

*I was waiting for Roland to work out a few bugs before I propose to get VNite going again but this seem good as a time as any.*

What bugs might they be, just out of curiosity? The biggest ones I'm tackling right now are Mac support, and that's coming along nicely. Slowly, but surely.

*BTW, Roland's server also supports Macs, WC3, CD, CD2 and LoD. The bonus is that all can be in the same channel and see each other, and we know who to bitch at when the server needs work *

Yeah, yeah, yeah. :P And by the way, it supports ALL Blizzard clients, including (but not limited to):
[*]Diablo
[*]Diablo Spawn
[*]Diablo Shareware
[*]Starcraft
[*]Starcraft: Brood War
[*]Starcraft Spawn
[*]Wacraft II: Battle.Net Edition
[*]Wacraft II: Battle.Net Edition Spawn
[*]Diablo II
[*]Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
[*]Wacraft III

CONFIRMED Mac support is limited to (Mac OS 9.x only):
[*]Diablo
[*]Diablo II: Lord of Destruction

With untested, potential support for all other Blizzard clients (again, under Mac OS 9.x only). I am working daily to improve upon the support for Macs, but it's a long and slow process. Mostly because I HAVE to coordinate my schedule with other people, since I don't own a Mac. If I did, Macs would be fully supported by now. I'm working on Mac OS 9.x for now, and will eventually move on to OS X when I've gotten as far as I can with Mac OS 9.x.

You are right in saying that everyone can (and usually do) meet in one channel (DSF Chat). Quite handy, if you ask me. And, the "WC3 D2 crash bug" may not be an issue anymore. There's a theory over at the DSF that the crash is due to a character limit for Diablo II characters, and the extended WC3 gateway names (i.e. Lordaeron, etc.). Because of the vastly short gateway name, and the fact that all clients share it (thus eliminating the need to /msg xxxxxxx@USWest, or /msg xxxxxx@lordaeron), the crashing bug may not be a problem anymore. I hope, anyway. And even if that's not the case, we still eliminate the need for adding the gateway when messaging users. :D

Finally, yes you do all know who you can come harking to if there's ever a problem. Lord knows I hear alot of griping. Just kidding. But in all seriousness, I DO try to address any and all issues as soon as I'm made aware of them, and I try to be around as much as I can so that things get handled promptly. As Shadow will attest, one day she sent me a PM at the Lounge about D2 Closed games not working, and within minutes I had it up and working again. She was quite impressed. Just lucky that I happened to get on at that moment.

At any rate, I just felt like dropping a reply in. You folks are welcome to host whatever gaming sessions you like. I encourage it, in fact. And, please, if you have ANY problems, don't hesitate to contact me.

Enjoy the Realm. And bring your friends!

Roland The Gunslinger
The Diablo Strategy Compendium
http://www.diablosc.com/
The Diablo Strategy Compendium Forums
http://www.diablosc.com/cgi-bin/dcboard/dcforum.cgi

Charis
Charis

April 22nd, 2003, 5:17 am #5

Assume for the moment I was a clueless newbie...
What does "come on over to Roland's" mean?
Do I have to download a program, the FGFS-whatever-launcher, or what? What do I do once I'm "in" ?

Some far tougher questions to answer:
- Where did my 'alt' key go? (Highlighting dropped objects)
- OMG, I have to click for every swing?? This would
be killer for my wrists in very short order.
- Townwalk... what is this mystical thing that PC players talk about?
- For folks around here playing Diablo 'X', what if anything has been most common?
D1, D2, D2XLOD ?

Charis

April 22nd, 2003, 5:50 am #6

Cute Charis. :P

And apparently either you haven't seen my thread (it's only on page 2) about the server, or you want me to spam the board with the info.

So, here goes:
http://pub57.ezboard.com/fthedsfcommuni ... =758.topic - DSF Server Installation Tutorial at the DSFC forums.
http://pub57.ezboard.com/fthedsfcommuni ... =754.topic - DSF Server discussion at the DSFC forums.
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1048714579 - DSF Server Installation Tutorial and DSF server discussion at RBD.

And, in case you're REALLY lazy (:P):
Ok everyone. Here's a brief little tutorial on how to gain access to the DSF Realm.

PC Install:
-----------
(The following applies to Diablo, Starcraft, Starcraft: Brood War, Warcraft II: Battle.Net Edition, and Diablo II, and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.)
1) Download the following registry file for your OS.
- Windows 95, 98, and Millenium Edition users: http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/DS ... _Win9x.reg
- Windows NT, 2000, and XP users: http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/DS ... _WinNT.reg
2) Double-click the registry file to open and install it. Do not EDIT it, INSTALL it.
3) Start your client of choice.
4) Use the "Change Gateway" button to select the DSF Gateway.
5) Connect to the DSF Gateway using the "Battle.Net" button / selection.
6) If necessary, create a new account. Please note that you do NOT need to have this account online for 2 hours within 48 hours in order for it to be permanent. Accounts are NOT deleted automatically, ever.
7) Main meeting channel is DSF Chat.
8) Play as normal, and enjoy!

PC Manual Install:
------------------
1) Download the following file and unzip it to a temporary directory:
- http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/BN ... Editor.zip
2) Double-click (run) "BNetGatewayEditor.exe".
(The following applies to Diablo, Starcraft, Starcraft: Brood War, and Warcraft II: Battle.Net Edition.)
3a) Click the "Starcraft/Broodwar" button.
3b) Click the "Add Server" button (a little yellow plus sign).
3c) Enter the following information:
- Servername: DSF
- Hostname: 66.189.10.41
- Zone: 6
3d) Click the "Save to Registry" button (a little diskette icon), then click "Ok".
(The following applies to Diablo II and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.)
4a) Click the "Diablo" button.
4b) Click the "Add Server" button (a little yellow plus sign).
4c) Enter the following information:
4d) Click the "Save to Registry" button (a little diskette icon), then click "Ok".
5) Close "BNetGatewayEditor.exe".
6) Start your client of choice.
7) Use the "Change Gateway" button to select the DSF Gateway.
8a) For Diablo, Starcraft, Starcraft: Brood War, and Warcraft II: Battle.Net Edition:
- Connect to Battle.Net.
8b) For Diablo II Open characters:
- Click the "Other Multiplayer" button.
- Click the "Open Battle.Net" button.
8c) For Diablo II Closed characters:
- Cick the "Battle.Net button".
9) If necessary, create a new account. Please note that you do NOT need to have this account online for 2 hours within 48 hours in order for it to be permanent. Accounts are NOT deleted automatically, ever.
10) Main meeting channel is DSF Chat.
11) Play as normal, and enjoy!

Mac Manual Install:
-------------------
(Please note that I do not own a Mac, and thus cannot provide ANY technical support beyond what is written here. You're going to have to figure out how to access the server given the tools and information I have provided. If you're stuck, find another Mac user and consult them, and/or post on the forums. Good luck.)
1a) Download one of the following files (supposedly only work under Mac OSX):
- http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/BN ... Editor.sit
- http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/bnetse.dmg
1b) Run the appropriate file(s).

---OR---

2) Download one of the following file:
- http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/Re ... _3.sea.bin
2b) Follow the instructions in the following guide (instructions also available at the end of this file; see "Mac Gateway Editing"):
- http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/Ma ... diting.txt
3) Enter the following information:
4) Start your client of choice.
5) Use the Change Gateway button to select the DSF Gateway.
6) Connect to the DSF Gateway using the Battle.Net button / selection.
7) If necessary, create a new account. Please note that you do NOT need to have this account online for 2 hours within 48 hours in order for it to be permanent. Accounts are NOT deleted automatically, ever.
8) Main meeting channel is DSF Chat.
9) Play as normal, and enjoy!

PC Warcraft III Manual Install:
-------------------------------
1) Download the following file and unzip it to a temporary directory:
- http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/BN ... Editor.zip
2) Double-click the registry file "defaultservers.reg" to open it, and install it. Do not EDIT it, INSTALL it.
3) Double-click (run) "BNetGatewayEditor.exe".
4) Click the "Warcraft III" button.
5) Click the "Add Server" button (a little yellow plus sign).
6) Enter the following information:
7) Click the "Save to Registry" button (a little diskette icon), then click "Ok".
5) Close "BNetGatewayEditor.exe".
6) Open your Warcraft III installation directory.
7) Locate the file "blizzard.ax", and rename it to "blizzards.ax".
8) Download the following file and move it to your Warcraft III installation directory:
- http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/blizzard.ax
9) Copy your Warcraft III shortcut from the Start Menu to the Desktop. This is so we can edit it to allow access to the DSF Realm.
10) Rename the copied Warcraft III shortcut to "Warcraft III DSF", or something similar.
11) Right-click the shortcut, and select "Properties".
12) If necessary, switch to the "Shortcut" tab.
13a) In the "Target" field, move to the end and AFTER the quotes enter the following (without the quotations):
- '-pvpgn'
13b) Consult the following pictorial for help:
-
14) Click "Apply", and then click "Ok".
15) Start Warcraft III using your newly edited shortcut.
16) Use the "Change Gateway" button to select the DSF Gateway.
17) Click the "Battle.Net" button.
18) If necessary, create a new account. Please note that you do NOT need to have this account online for 2 hours within 48 hours in order for it to be permanent. Accounts are NOT deleted automatically, ever.
19) Main meeting channel is DSF Chat.
20) Play as normal, and enjoy!

Mac Warcraft III Manual Install:
--------------------------------
1) See "Mac Manual Install".
2) See "PC Warcraft III Manual Install".
3) Good luck.

Mac Gateway Editing - Jim Gould:
--------------------------------
Quick D2 Gateway Alterations, Mac OS 9.x

What you need:

ResEdit. I used version 2.1.3.

What you do:

Make a copy of your Diablo II Preferences file. If this doesn't work,
delete the modified file and rename your copy to restore the original file.

Open the System Folder:Preferences:Diablo II Preferences in ResEdit. You
should see a binary resource group, HKEY. Open that.

Look for the line
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battle.net\Configuration\Diablo II Battle.net
gateways". Open it.

Note: There is a similar line that refers to "Battle.net gateways" without
the "Diablo II". Leave it alone.

The opened HKEY should look like bunch of hex numbers on the left and a
list of gateways on the right.

Select a null (a down-caret -> )
copy it to the Clipboard. It will come in handy.

Place your insertion point by clicking immediately after the down-caret
after the word "Europe". Then type <IP Address><null><zone><null><gateway
name><null>.

You can get the nulls by pasting the null character you copied earlier. To
enter the DSF information, you would type:

66.189.10.41(paste a null)6(paste a null)DSF(paste a null)

You should wind up with the text column looking like:

100201uswest ... Europe66.189.10.416DSF

Save the file ("Save" under the FIle menu). Quit ResEdit. You're done.

How I got there:

I noticed that the supplied gateway editor was for StarCraft and only
modified the StarCraft preference file. I reasoned that if I made the same
changes to the D2 preferences file, I'd get a reasonable result, so I
copied the changes from the StarCraft preferences file to the D2
preferences file, and it worked. In retrospect, it would have been easier
just to type in the changes, as described above.

Now if only I could get StarCraft to work on the DSF.

"Dammit" Jim Gould
jgould@io.com
Account jgould on the DSF

Roland The Gunslinger

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 22nd, 2003, 11:51 am #7

Come on over to Rolands server. I hear even Classic Diablo is supported now. I have been spending SOME time there for the last few weeks, everything seem to be working ok tho it has some laggier days.

I was waiting for Roland to work out a few bugs before I propose to get VNite going again but this seem good as a time as any.

If we have enuf interest, we might even convince Oof to move the bot over there.

BTW, Roland's server also supports Macs, WC3, CD, CD2 and LoD. The bonus is that all can be in the same channel and see each other, and we know who to bitch at when the server needs work

KoP

"Come on over to Rolands server. I hear even Classic Diablo is supported now. I have been spending SOME time there for the last few weeks..."

SOME time indeed. You started your Toothrow the same time as AmaSoul, we went through the normal difficulty together, and while AmaSoul is still loitering about, you have like three (or more?) higher level characters on the realm!

So you are REALLY serious about taking over the WHOLE ladder huh? Can't you give other people a chance to get in the top three? =P

- SoulEdge -
"*burp* too many pots, I need to pee..."

April 22nd, 2003, 11:59 am #8

Assume for the moment I was a clueless newbie...
What does "come on over to Roland's" mean?
Do I have to download a program, the FGFS-whatever-launcher, or what? What do I do once I'm "in" ?

Some far tougher questions to answer:
- Where did my 'alt' key go? (Highlighting dropped objects)
- OMG, I have to click for every swing?? This would
be killer for my wrists in very short order.
- Townwalk... what is this mystical thing that PC players talk about?
- For folks around here playing Diablo 'X', what if anything has been most common?
D1, D2, D2XLOD ?

Charis
VNite = Variant Nite
Traditionally held on Tuesdays when variant players were few. This nite was special that many people planned their RL schedule around it to have a chance to coop with other variants. Playing variants is highly encouraged on this nite but anything goes - whatever strike your fancy.

However, variant games are to be respected in that they are given the right of way, any regular character entering such game should observe the pacing and style of such game. Regular players wishing to coop in such game should auto nerf their characters so that they are as handicapped as the others in game. For example, if you have a whirley barb, you might want to take off your weapon(s) and start punching with your fists. If you are running ahead and killing things, you don't belong there - this philosophy also applies to regular games if you want to be a good co-oper.

For people new to our games, more basics can be found here
http://www.realmsbeyond.net/diablo/etiquette.html

Vnite is not just about gaming, it's also a chance to get together and catch up with old friends and make new ones. Many a nites we spent more time chatting than playing games.

Anyone interested should raise their hands and may even propose a more suitable time so that we can get organized.

LoD is the current thing on Roland's server but I am sure we will see some activities with CD as more people join in (and voice their preferrences). (And I am almost sure Nystul will get some Angband action going too ;p)

It'll be good to see you all online again

KoP

April 22nd, 2003, 12:38 pm #9

"Come on over to Rolands server. I hear even Classic Diablo is supported now. I have been spending SOME time there for the last few weeks..."

SOME time indeed. You started your Toothrow the same time as AmaSoul, we went through the normal difficulty together, and while AmaSoul is still loitering about, you have like three (or more?) higher level characters on the realm!

So you are REALLY serious about taking over the WHOLE ladder huh? Can't you give other people a chance to get in the top three? =P

- SoulEdge -
"*burp* too many pots, I need to pee..."
"SOME" is in capital letters ;p

> So you are REALLY serious about taking over the WHOLE ladder huh?

blushes Err, Material Girl can't help but stay in the first slot because she can't help but lvl when she MFs. Besides, she was built (at first) to prove a point. When I commented the ladder means nothing other than some people have more time to spend on a character, someone said "spoken like a true second runner up". tooTHrow happened to be (not by desire) in second place then. I still maintain the ladder means nothing as I stated!

> Can't you give other people a chance to get in the top three? =P

I noticed that trend and did slow down tooTHrow to guest appearances only so others may catch up. Then when I saw the others got up to second, third and fourth place and not level anymore I thought it'd be cute to lvl tooTHrow up again and stopped just a hair below number four. Sure enough, I see them went on a lvling frenzy again. So no, I don't want to own the ladder ;p

KoP

April 22nd, 2003, 1:20 pm #10

I mean, sure, I guess it's fun... In a novelty sort of way. Like travelling to Greece and bringing back a little porcelain Pantheon as a souvenoir. But, really, Ladders have no place in a game like Diablo II. And, frankly, I just don't see the appeal.

Then again, I get more enjoyment out of actually PLAYING the game than just powering my way up the virtual food chain. :P Ah well. To each their own.

BTW - To anyone who tried logging in this morning, only to be stucking infinitely downloading an update over and over... Eheh... I blame KoP. :P At any rate, that's fixed (was nailed about 5 minutes after I discovered it). So, as long as you have an up-to-date version, you won't be upgraded. However, if you log on with an older version of a client (excluding Diablo, of course, for reasons of maintaining Mod support), you will be automatically updated to the latest version, just as if you were to connect to B.Net. As per request of KoP, this will come in handy for when 1.10 (FINALLY) comes out. This will only affect PCs, though, for the time being, until I get more versioncheck and auto-update .MPQs for Macs.

Again, sorry for the problems. An unforseen event, to be sure, but it's been ironed out.

Maybe someday I'll be able to see as many non-Diablo II clients as Diablo II clients. :P A guy can dream, right?

Roland The Gunslinger