Realms Beyond Geneforge

Realms Beyond Geneforge

February 24th, 2002, 12:09 am #1

For those of you that want a really good game, check out Geneforge at www.spiderwebsoftware.com

It is Mac only right now, but, the Windows version is coming soon. Also, check out the Exile/Avernum series. They are, with out a doubt, the greatist RPG series ever created.

Beware. Geneforge is highly addictive, and, it is not uncommon playing 12 hours straight just to watch your army of creatures grow and mature into something NASTY.

The Agent in Geneforge is what the Assassin in Diablo should have been

The graphics might be a little so so, but, Spiderwebs games have never been about graphics. The storyline and plot is second to none, and, in most of his games, there is more text and story to read than your local phone book has listings.

Also, Geneforge forces you to make TOUGH moral decisions, and, the end of the game (Over 30 different endings) all are determined by what sort of morals and ethics you have.

One thing I have learned. There is a horrible price for power... Choosing to be a God is not with out terrible consequences.
Last edited by Dr_Douglass on February 24th, 2002, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drasca
Drasca

February 24th, 2002, 12:56 am #2

Apparently I'm not the only one who plays Spiderweb, Ambrosia and Fantasoft (and Strangeflavour's Airburst) games.

Since we're bringing up other games, has anyone played Majesty (win/mac) by Cyberlore Studios? www.cyberlore.com

The game is an Fantasy RTS with very interesting twists that makes it markedly different than average RTS gameplay.

First off, Your Majesty (you the player) does not have direct control over the units. All units have different A.I. which will make them to decide whether to explore/fight/shop or the ever popular (and smart) run away.

Secondly, all units (Heroes) have stats, and can level up from fighting experience. They are influenced by Bounties (gold rewards) on monsters/buildings/other player's heroes.

I bought the Gold edition (original + expansion pack) for ~20$ US. The game has low system req.

I highly suggest downloading the demo (40 Mb though) and trying it. I still play the demo.

-Drasca

February 24th, 2002, 5:17 am #3

The reason why Spiderweb makes such great games is they do REAL beta testing. I have beta tested several games for them. Jeff Vogel really does get the bugs out. Customer response is also top notch priority #1. If you email him, you will get a reply in no time trying to fix the problem. The company is a model of how consumer relations should be.

Probably going to start beta testing Avernum III soon. If you look in the credits of some of the games, you will see me listed

Oddly enough, it feels really good to know that you did some nasty gritty work to make good games even better by squashing bugs and making a difference, even if it is just a small difference. I only wish Diablo had been tested better. I have dumped Diablo from my system. Oddly enough, I still play the Exile series, even though they are so old now, just because it is still a damn good game that is never quite the same game no matter how many times you play it. People still pay for the Exile series too. It is still topping share ware charts. It is still one of the most downloaded games out there. Sadly enough, Diablo 2 has already fallen off the radar. Diablo 1 was in many ways, a much better game.

It still bugs me to think about the potential, and the total loss. There were some things that would have probably been easy to fix. Oh well.
Last edited by Dr_Douglass on February 24th, 2002, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 24th, 2002, 5:08 pm #4

Hi,

It still bugs me to think about the potential, and the total loss. There were some things that would have probably been easy to fix.

Amen to that.

--Pete