RBGC Succession Game Planning Thread

RBGC Succession Game Planning Thread

Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam

February 26th, 2004, 2:25 pm #1

Ok folks. We've got one ongoing game (which could still use a hand). I have tossed out a few ideas, and have heard from a few folks with other ideas and some interest.

Here are a few game ideas I have in mind for the near future.

1) Training day type game. Lower difficulty (say painful or so), with one or two vets leading up the effort, along with a bit more individual feedback on everyone's turns from the team leader. IIRC, Zed and I have both said we could run one of these. This could end up as more than one game, if there is enough interest here and at Stardock.

2) Maso SG#2--Blind Man's Bluff. Take another run at maso, this time with no sensor picks. Take a medium map, industrialists with bonus picks in range, trade, luck, and population growth.

3) Tactless--no contacting rival civs, even to check what tech they own. Can accept or reject offers only. Trade routes sent one per civ known, in order of meeting (including minors). Morality events determined by 1d10 (1-3 good, 4-7 neutral, 8-10 evil). Crippling with the technologists, bonus picks in trade routes, creativity, econ, PQ+5, and range. Map size tbd (leaning to large) with scattered stars, uncommon habitability.

Folks, feel free to express your interest, add your 2bc, or put out ideas for other games. This is likely to be our forum for collective gaming for a bit; I need to do some legwork with the developer on some balance issues (or more serious experience with the editor--even if I do not wish to have mostly modded games) before we can have a tourney. I do not like stringing the tourney idean along, but there are some game issues standing in the way of a tourney worthy of the RB moniker. I hope a continued series of SGs will help hold interest from folks around these parts.

I have found that SGs for GalCiv are even more fun in some ways than the Civ3 SGs--especially because they seem to run fast and complete quickly. I hope others find it this way, and at least jump in for a game or two.

Bam-Bam

February 26th, 2004, 4:17 pm #2

I'm definitely game for the training game and/or the Tactless game. The training game I can get graded on how I 'think' the game works and get those last few pointers out of the way. I probably need to just do an extremely detailed AAR and work it that way.

The tactless game just looks fun. I'm relatively competent on painful, so crippling shouldn't be much of a stretch.

Zed
Zed

February 26th, 2004, 5:06 pm #3

Ok folks. We've got one ongoing game (which could still use a hand). I have tossed out a few ideas, and have heard from a few folks with other ideas and some interest.

1) Training day type game. Lower difficulty (say painful or so), with one or two vets leading up the effort, along with a bit more individual feedback on everyone's turns from the team leader. IIRC, Zed and I have both said we could run one of these. This could end up as more than one game, if there is enough interest here and at Stardock.

2) Maso SG#2--Blind Man's Bluff. Take another run at maso, this time with no sensor picks. Take a medium map, industrialists with bonus picks in range, trade, luck, and population growth.

3) Tactless--no contacting rival civs, even to check what tech they own. Can accept or reject offers only. Trade routes sent one per civ known, in order of meeting (including minors). Morality events determined by 1d10 (1-3 good, 4-7 neutral, 8-10 evil). Crippling with the technologists, bonus picks in trade routes, creativity, econ, PQ+5, and range. Map size tbd (leaning to large) with scattered stars, uncommon habitability.

Folks, feel free to express your interest, add your 2bc, or put out ideas for other games. This is likely to be our forum for collective gaming for a bit; I need to do some legwork with the developer on some balance issues (or more serious experience with the editor--even if I do not wish to have mostly modded games) before we can have a tourney. I do not like stringing the tourney idean along, but there are some game issues standing in the way of a tourney worthy of the RB moniker. I hope a continued series of SGs will help hold interest from folks around these parts.

I have found that SGs for GalCiv are even more fun in some ways than the Civ3 SGs--especially because they seem to run fast and complete quickly. I hope others find it this way, and at least jump in for a game or two.

Bam-Bam
I'd like to get our participant count up. We don't seem to be drawing much interest from other empires even when we explicitly try to cater to their interests, so let's see if we can involve some more people from our own empire. My vote goes for the TDGs first.

While we will likely want one maso player per TDG who is responsible for providing guidance, but who may or not play himself, that doesn't mean that other maso players can't/shouldn't pop into the threads and offer alternative viewpoints.

Other ideas for future SGs:
- A one-system or one-planet challenge
- A no-military variant, possibly with other restrictions
- A no-research variant

The Black Cursor
The Black Cursor

February 26th, 2004, 5:40 pm #4

Bam-Bam
I'd also like to see a larger (maso, huge/gigantic) "builder" game at some point. This may evolve from the training games, as a lot of the finer late-game points of discussion wrt buildings, ships, techs, etc. have yet to see print simply because our games are over so quickly.

Be seeing you...

---> TBC (Training Builds Competance)

Zed
Zed

February 26th, 2004, 6:04 pm #5

I'd like to get our participant count up. We don't seem to be drawing much interest from other empires even when we explicitly try to cater to their interests, so let's see if we can involve some more people from our own empire. My vote goes for the TDGs first.

While we will likely want one maso player per TDG who is responsible for providing guidance, but who may or not play himself, that doesn't mean that other maso players can't/shouldn't pop into the threads and offer alternative viewpoints.

Other ideas for future SGs:
- A one-system or one-planet challenge
- A no-military variant, possibly with other restrictions
- A no-research variant
... that none of my above suggestions necessarily involves anything that will teach us something useful for the purposes of drafting a RB ruleset. I think that SGs to test out aspects of the game where we think work along those lines will be required would also be a good idea.

Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam

February 26th, 2004, 7:22 pm #6

Right. I think the maso series of succession games are where we will see the flaws in the game come out. Just look at what came out of our first maso game. Sirian's final take came mainly from seeing the debates and things we saw of the GalCiv AI.

I am skeptical that there is a ruleset that can balance some of the one-dimentionality of the AI. That's why I am going to be working on/with the developers to lobby for a beefier (or at least somehwhat multi-dimensional) AI. The maso SGs are a great help in that. They also help see things we can fix on our own to make for increase replayability.

Zed
Zed

February 26th, 2004, 7:25 pm #7

...we try to set up the games such that they don't follow the same familiar paths -- i.e. bribe the AI to quiescence, peacefully build up a massive economic/tech/cultural advantage, and bribe/flip our way to success. It seems we already know plenty about that gameplan.

February 27th, 2004, 4:04 am #8

Bam-Bam
Considering where I am at with the game, the training game is probably the only thing I would sign up for right now.

Even painful is going to be very rough as I am about to be slaughtered where the #1 military civ is declared war when I have 3 or 4 carboard cutouts...

This is with me already behind in population.

Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam

March 2nd, 2004, 1:36 pm #9

Bam-Bam
Folks,

Sorry for the delay. My youngest is teething , which puts sleep at a premium.

I plan on opening the training day game either tonight or tomorrow. The parameters for the game are as follows.

Version: GalCiv Standard 1.20.086 (this is the latest issue from Stardock, available either as a stand alone patch or from Stardock Central)
Difficulty: Painful (All intelligent AIs)
Galaxy Stats: Huge, Loose, Occasional
Party: Technologists
Bonus Picks: 3 picks sensors and range, remaining picks in trade, weapons, and repair. (may change slightly)
Victory Type: Any

Varient Rules:No selling techs for cash. This is a crutch that is not present on higher difficulty levels, so we will train without it.

I have picked the map size and habitability to get a somewhat longer game. No speed picks and loose clusters means we will have to think through settling strategy. Party choice is to help the team develop use of SiBCaT (in other words, learning to manage free research when the game does not correctly display it).

I can run this one, and if there is enough interest, Zed or another of the maso vets can run a concurrent game. We can run two of the same map, or set up an entirely different game, depending on desire. Express your interest here, and I will set up the game when we have four folks (other than me) signed up.

Bam-Bam

March 2nd, 2004, 1:43 pm #10

This is generally where i play right now (painful/crippling) so I can fine tune my playing here.