RBGC SG3

RBGC SG3

Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam

February 10th, 2004, 5:33 pm #1

With two of the three RBGC SG2 teams complete, and the new patch/expansion not yet published, I have decided to begin the next RBGC succession game. Consistent with the last RBGC succession game, I have posted the information thread over at Stardock to garner more interest from non-RB folks. This will be our first Masochistic SG, so it could be wild ride. If there is enough interest, there will be more than one team.

Here is the thread at Stardock where you can get information and sign up for the game.

RBGC SG3

Like last time, we are trying to get this game underway and complete before the next patch/expansion comes out, so the game will start no later than Thursday evening.

- Bam-Bam

Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam

February 12th, 2004, 2:59 am #2

Link at CFC is here.

February 14th, 2004, 7:12 pm #3

With two of the three RBGC SG2 teams complete, and the new patch/expansion not yet published, I have decided to begin the next RBGC succession game. Consistent with the last RBGC succession game, I have posted the information thread over at Stardock to garner more interest from non-RB folks. This will be our first Masochistic SG, so it could be wild ride. If there is enough interest, there will be more than one team.

Here is the thread at Stardock where you can get information and sign up for the game.

RBGC SG3

Like last time, we are trying to get this game underway and complete before the next patch/expansion comes out, so the game will start no later than Thursday evening.

- Bam-Bam
Hmmm...

It looks like I started the Gal Civ realm to late. I am way under the skill level of the games being played here.

Zed
Zed

February 15th, 2004, 4:03 am #4

Read the SGs, play more games, and catch up. You caught up to RB on Deity Civ3 SGs, you can catch up here.

Sirian
Sirian

February 15th, 2004, 6:41 pm #5

Zed's right. RB moved up the difficulty scale pretty quickly in Civ, too. Remember? Lee you were still not comfortable with Emperor when we started doing Deity, but you came to it in your own time.

You know how to run an SG. There are PLENTY of players in your shoes right now, who are not ready for higher difficulty. You may have to be a bit more proactive about assembling them, but we all know you can do it if you set your mind to it. In fact, several of the new recruits we've picked up through Stardock are playing at lower levels, guys like Oldgamster.

When the tourney starts, it definitely won't be all deity all the time, so to speak. I'll make sure there are games at all levels for which there is an active and eager market. If you go away now, you'll miss the party.

- Sirian

February 16th, 2004, 12:36 am #6

I am not 100% up on RB slang yet. I am familiar with the succession games but how do you run a tournament game?

Isit
Last edited by Isit on February 16th, 2004, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 16th, 2004, 1:08 pm #7

Hi,

I think what Sirian plans is something like the RB Epics for Civilization 3: A starting save file is posted, sometimes together with variant rules, a specific goal how to win the game, or some scoring system to make it more interesting. Then, players have from 3-6 weeks to play the game, depending on the size of the map, the kind of goal etc. During that time, nobody is allowed to talk about their game to ensure fair chances for all involved. A specific date is set beforehand where everybody willing to can post a report about their game, and then the real fun begins: Discussion about the other games, comparisons, and the learning of new strategies and game elements. And finally, since most of the games will have some kind of scoring mechanism (fastest finish, highest score, first one to fulfill a certain requirement...), a ranking is posted on the results page. But for most of the players, the score isn't the most important thing about participating; reading other reports and comparing them is the most fun aspect of this kind of tournament.

Usually, everyone is invited to play, not only RB regulars, and you don't need to report your results back if you don't want to.

I'm looking forward to this! I haven't played GalCiv for some months now, but I won't miss the fun of some kind of GalCiv Epic.

-Kylearan

T-hawk
T-hawk

February 17th, 2004, 3:07 am #8

Zed's right. RB moved up the difficulty scale pretty quickly in Civ, too. Remember? Lee you were still not comfortable with Emperor when we started doing Deity, but you came to it in your own time.

You know how to run an SG. There are PLENTY of players in your shoes right now, who are not ready for higher difficulty. You may have to be a bit more proactive about assembling them, but we all know you can do it if you set your mind to it. In fact, several of the new recruits we've picked up through Stardock are playing at lower levels, guys like Oldgamster.

When the tourney starts, it definitely won't be all deity all the time, so to speak. I'll make sure there are games at all levels for which there is an active and eager market. If you go away now, you'll miss the party.

- Sirian
I see Sirian's moved from "if" to "when" on a GalCiv RB tourney. That should finally get me to open up the GalCiv box that's been sitting here for some time...

February 17th, 2004, 3:09 am #9

Hi,

I think what Sirian plans is something like the RB Epics for Civilization 3: A starting save file is posted, sometimes together with variant rules, a specific goal how to win the game, or some scoring system to make it more interesting. Then, players have from 3-6 weeks to play the game, depending on the size of the map, the kind of goal etc. During that time, nobody is allowed to talk about their game to ensure fair chances for all involved. A specific date is set beforehand where everybody willing to can post a report about their game, and then the real fun begins: Discussion about the other games, comparisons, and the learning of new strategies and game elements. And finally, since most of the games will have some kind of scoring mechanism (fastest finish, highest score, first one to fulfill a certain requirement...), a ranking is posted on the results page. But for most of the players, the score isn't the most important thing about participating; reading other reports and comparing them is the most fun aspect of this kind of tournament.

Usually, everyone is invited to play, not only RB regulars, and you don't need to report your results back if you don't want to.

I'm looking forward to this! I haven't played GalCiv for some months now, but I won't miss the fun of some kind of GalCiv Epic.

-Kylearan
That sounds interesting. I can't wait to give it a try!

Sirian
Sirian

February 19th, 2004, 1:40 am #10

I see Sirian's moved from "if" to "when" on a GalCiv RB tourney. That should finally get me to open up the GalCiv box that's been sitting here for some time...
I have decided to back off from the commitment to design and run a tournament for GalCiv. I will reassess, at some unknown future point, as to the viability of reconsidering, but for now, the idea is off the table for me.

Some insights into why I've made this decision can be found here:

GalCiv Empires Forum - Recruitment Debate Thread

Those of you out of the GalCiv loop, and in lurk mode, will not be able to follow all of that, but it is the best I can offer you. The issues are numerous, and no single one is the dealbreaker. Rather, it is the total picture, the accumulation of adversities, that has shot down the idea for me.

My apologies for misleading this effort.

- Sirian