Questions - Culture/Social

Questions - Culture/Social

December 8th, 2003, 4:53 pm #1

Ok, so I'm slowly but surely bumping up the difficulty as I play, but I'm still a bit shaky on a few concepts that I'm sure will hurt me later on down the road.

Let's start with the cultural aspects. My most recent win started as an attempt at a cultural domination. On the cultural side, I lost badly. Even with party palaces and such, I was losing sectors every year. About the only thing I got right culture wise was being able to flip a minor that started in the middle of my territory. I lost a late coming minor planet to a major that hurt pretty badly, but even before then it wasn't going in the right direction. Any pointers out there for the culture push?

I was making more money than I could spend in this particular game, so the different social proejcts really didn't make a difference in regards to maintenance. What's the approach in the higher difficulties regarding social projects? I'd like to think you'd have some planets that concentrate in certain areas, but I haven't been forced to do this quite yet.

Sirian
Sirian

December 8th, 2003, 5:36 pm #2

Culture is all about the influence resources. If you don't control any, and can't get hold of them, pursue a different victory condition. If you have them all, you will only need a few party palaces, total, to dominate the map.

- Sirian

Drasca
Drasca

December 8th, 2003, 7:30 pm #3

Ok, so I'm slowly but surely bumping up the difficulty as I play, but I'm still a bit shaky on a few concepts that I'm sure will hurt me later on down the road.

Let's start with the cultural aspects. My most recent win started as an attempt at a cultural domination. On the cultural side, I lost badly. Even with party palaces and such, I was losing sectors every year. About the only thing I got right culture wise was being able to flip a minor that started in the middle of my territory. I lost a late coming minor planet to a major that hurt pretty badly, but even before then it wasn't going in the right direction. Any pointers out there for the culture push?

I was making more money than I could spend in this particular game, so the different social proejcts really didn't make a difference in regards to maintenance. What's the approach in the higher difficulties regarding social projects? I'd like to think you'd have some planets that concentrate in certain areas, but I haven't been forced to do this quite yet.
Disclaimer, so far as I have seen and read:

Influence is directly affected by population, +pop = +influence.

So to take that into consideration, make love, not war-- keep those troops home, not dying in some horribly lopsided groundwar or... do a cultural overwash with people when there's not enough. Bolster (this is gambling, mind you) a Sector's population with immigrants from another star system.

So Star systems with multiple habitable stars have mucho influence alone. High quality planets moreso (once I had a pQ 36... raised from natural 24 with a morality choice... zap those sentient plants causing earthquakes, I want my superplanet!)

Rogue Lurker
Rogue Lurker

December 22nd, 2003, 7:18 pm #4

Is Santa Claus able to harness warp drive and inter system travel in Gal Vic, and thus spread the cheer of the Holiday Season to the various and sundry alien races?

In any case, as was the case with Civ III, it appears that within the context of killing or outsmarting and conquering interstellare rivals, the Gal Civ gang is in full harmony with "On Earth Peace and Good Will To All Men" (And not those nasty green space aliens! )

Happy Holidays to all here.

Occhi

Sirian
Sirian

December 22nd, 2003, 11:17 pm #5

Is Santa Claus able to harness warp drive and inter system travel in Gal Vic, and thus spread the cheer of the Holiday Season to the various and sundry alien races?

Yes, we can arrange for Santa to visit our alien friends. All we have to do is a build a sleigh port into our starbases, especially ones with Shopping District modules.

- Sirian

Lurking Returning ROgue
Lurking Returning ROgue

December 23rd, 2003, 11:58 pm #6

Replaced by warp drive. Such is progress, I suppose, though it does solve the sticky problem of reindeer fewments splattered on the paint jobs of those 'spensive space ships at the various star ports and in Shopping Module parking lots.

Occhi
Occhi

February 10th, 2004, 3:53 pm #7

Yes, we can arrange for Santa to visit our alien friends. All we have to do is a build a sleigh port into our starbases, especially ones with Shopping District modules.

- Sirian
Sent with a smile.

An author died, and wasn't sure whether he should go to Heaven or Hell.

St. Peter gives him a tour of both. In the section of Hell reserved for authors, he sees a smoke-filled room full of people chained to typewriters with red-hot keys, typing furiously under the flaming nail-studded whips of demon editors.

"I don't like the looks of this," he tells St. Peter. "Let's go see Heaven now."

St. Peter takes him to the section of Heaven reserved for authors, where he sees a smoke-filled room full of people chained to typewriters with red-hot keys, typing furiously under the flaming nail-studded whips of demon editors.

"This is as bad as Hell!" he yells.

"Not quite," answers St. Peter. "Here, your work gets published."

Sirian
Sirian

February 11th, 2004, 9:59 pm #8

Indeed.

Bam-Bam
Bam-Bam

February 12th, 2004, 1:30 am #9

The "indeed" virus cannot be stopped!

Infested Rogue
Infested Rogue