PTW Multiplayer

PTW Multiplayer

Sirian
Sirian

December 13th, 2002, 5:22 am #1

Well there went an hour of my life down the tubes. Cyrene and I just tried to check out a little PTW MP action. We made three attempts, two by direct IP, once through Gamespy. Two of the games crashed (like HARD crashes) and the other desynched before the first turn ended (although we did get our cities founded). One of the crashes was via Gamespy, too, so that's when we gave up on it.

Cyrene said, "Apparently, two players training a warrior was too much for it."

Cy also said, "If this is the fixed version, I'm glad I didn't try the broken one."

I concur. Gosh this was awful. In my worst case, I did not expect it to go this poorly. If any of you out there have tried PTW MP, with success or not, please post and tell us about your experience with it.

Internet multiplayer is HARD to program. In addition to performing at an acceptable pace and proving reliable in general, a game has to have tolerance for periods of data irregularity (lost packets, bottlenecks causing data interruption followed by a burst of delayed packets, and out and out lag) or a game of the length of Civ3 will never survive to completion. Even so, desynching on THE FIRST TURN is just beyond me. It's so sad, it's comical. This, on the same connection through which I just got done playing a three hour Diablo 2 session with Cy and Jaffa which functioned normally.

There's not much else to say. It's broken. If MOO3's delays see its multiplayer actually WORKING right out of the box, that will be a very big deal. I'm just astounded at how miserably this PTW MP attempt went.

I hope they get it working, as now having had half a turn's worth of 4000BC action, I'm actually ready to give this a spin and see what it's like. I guess that is going to have to wait a while, though. I'm just in sheer disbelief here.

- Sirian

December 13th, 2002, 9:24 am #2

Thats certainly dissapointing, since I have just bought the game via amazon (still waiting for the delivery though). I only have 56k modem access so I did'nt have very high expectations of using multiplayer anyway.

Sounds like I'll only be doing PBEM, if multiplayer ever works properly then I might upgrade to ISDN (DSL in Ireland cost way to much ie 150 euro a month).

By the way, were you trying turn based or turnless?

digger760

Sullla
Sullla

December 13th, 2002, 1:50 pm #3

Well there went an hour of my life down the tubes. Cyrene and I just tried to check out a little PTW MP action. We made three attempts, two by direct IP, once through Gamespy. Two of the games crashed (like HARD crashes) and the other desynched before the first turn ended (although we did get our cities founded). One of the crashes was via Gamespy, too, so that's when we gave up on it.

Cy also said, "If this is the fixed version, I'm glad I didn't try the broken one."

I concur. Gosh this was awful. In my worst case, I did not expect it to go this poorly. If any of you out there have tried PTW MP, with success or not, please post and tell us about your experience with it.

Internet multiplayer is HARD to program. In addition to performing at an acceptable pace and proving reliable in general, a game has to have tolerance for periods of data irregularity (lost packets, bottlenecks causing data interruption followed by a burst of delayed packets, and out and out lag) or a game of the length of Civ3 will never survive to completion. Even so, desynching on THE FIRST TURN is just beyond me. It's so sad, it's comical. This, on the same connection through which I just got done playing a three hour Diablo 2 session with Cy and Jaffa which functioned normally.

There's not much else to say. It's broken. If MOO3's delays see its multiplayer actually WORKING right out of the box, that will be a very big deal. I'm just astounded at how miserably this PTW MP attempt went.

I hope they get it working, as now having had half a turn's worth of 4000BC action, I'm actually ready to give this a spin and see what it's like. I guess that is going to have to wait a while, though. I'm just in sheer disbelief here.

- Sirian
The PBEM feature seems to work OK, but that format itself is less than perfect in some ways. Aside from taking literally months to play out a game, you don't get to see any movements other than what occur on your turn. For example, I popped a goody hut and got barbs, then the next turn by warrior was just gone. I have no idea what happened in the battles where he was attacked. That could get problematic when at war with another human...

So far, every review has slammed PTW as being just about worthless, since it fails to deliver the multiplayer it promises. I'd have to agree with them on multiplayer - it just doesn't work. Period.

Hotrod
Hotrod

December 13th, 2002, 2:31 pm #4

- Sirian
I have been able to play a couple of games successfully. I recently upgraded to a cable modem on 56k it was impossible. On cable the lag is still and issue and setting up a game is not too bad if and only if it seem you set up through the game and not through gamespy at all. Just use the HOST or JOIN buttons to get into an individual game lobby/chat room directly from the Multiplayer Option. Then the game is setup in yet another setup screen, then eventually if all things go okay, the game is successfully launched.

If all players are not on the same patch it will crash as well.

Other than the trouble setting the game up the pace of the game is actually too fast. Accelerated production, impatient opponents in simultaneous mode or turn based, and the shear fast pace of Turnless make the game tough. It almost requires a build list and governors, or even automated workers. One of the worst "features" is the research, a tech is completed and the next just goes to it without any pop ups.

Forget about using the research slider there just isn't time. It appear that there needs to be 2 different styles of play, one MP one single player. Unless of ofcourse the players agree to play turn based

Just my observations.

Hotrod

PS: When it does work it is a fun distraction, not quite the same but fun none the less.

December 13th, 2002, 3:12 pm #5

- Sirian
I have played numerous games with PTW multiplayer(1.14f), and they have all, without exception, been great. I have played games that have lasted as much as 5 hours (before my wife desynced and crashed, forcing me to reboot my relationship).

I have found that typically, you want the person with the faster PC to be the one who hosts the game. Rather than playing turnless, I have always played Turn Based, with accellerated production turned on. So far, it has only been pvp (1on1) with generally only a few AI's in there to mix it up.

I have a cable connection, running windows 98. P3 450MHz, 128Mb ram. As my PC isnt top of the line, it's strange that I would have no problems when so many others have.

BTW - Typically my opponent is using Win XP, Athelon 1.8GHz, More ram than you can shake a stick at. He will be the one who hosts the game.

So why does it work for me?

Would anyone like to give it a try during the daytime tomorrow? My ICQ is 81278141.

"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!!"

- Winston Zeddmore

December 13th, 2002, 4:15 pm #6

- Sirian
I plan to get PTW soon and use the LAN multiplayer option. (I have a network of 1, 2, 3, 4... too many computers!) Has anyone tried the LAN option because it would be quite useful to know whether it is going to work before I buy it. I have found LAN to be quite stable with other games. If one of you does have a local area network and PTW I would be very grateful if you could try it out.

I find it rather amazing that they released PTW when they must have known there were massive problems with the multiplayer. It's daylight robbery to be selling PTW with a feature that only exists about 25% of the time (or even less according to what I have read).

Just out of interest, what operating systems are you running when trying to get PTW MP to work. In my experience the operating sysem or various other small bugs on PCs can upset Multiplayer. For example: The PC I am using now doest do anything to do with MP unless the sound is disabled! Dunno, mabe it has nothing to do with it but it was a thought...

JMansell02

Sullla
Sullla

December 13th, 2002, 5:53 pm #7

The PBEM feature seems to work OK, but that format itself is less than perfect in some ways. Aside from taking literally months to play out a game, you don't get to see any movements other than what occur on your turn. For example, I popped a goody hut and got barbs, then the next turn by warrior was just gone. I have no idea what happened in the battles where he was attacked. That could get problematic when at war with another human...

So far, every review has slammed PTW as being just about worthless, since it fails to deliver the multiplayer it promises. I'd have to agree with them on multiplayer - it just doesn't work. Period.
I recently loaded Diablo II onto this computer (though unfortunately I have no characters on it as yet), so if anyone wants to play some D2 multiplayer just send me an e-mail message of some kind.

December 13th, 2002, 5:57 pm #8

I have played numerous games with PTW multiplayer(1.14f), and they have all, without exception, been great. I have played games that have lasted as much as 5 hours (before my wife desynced and crashed, forcing me to reboot my relationship).

I have found that typically, you want the person with the faster PC to be the one who hosts the game. Rather than playing turnless, I have always played Turn Based, with accellerated production turned on. So far, it has only been pvp (1on1) with generally only a few AI's in there to mix it up.

I have a cable connection, running windows 98. P3 450MHz, 128Mb ram. As my PC isnt top of the line, it's strange that I would have no problems when so many others have.

BTW - Typically my opponent is using Win XP, Athelon 1.8GHz, More ram than you can shake a stick at. He will be the one who hosts the game.

Would anyone like to give it a try during the daytime tomorrow? My ICQ is 81278141.

- Winston Zeddmore
ICQ # 81278141

or email me at c.e.o@shaw.ca

- Winston Zeddmore

KingBob
KingBob

December 13th, 2002, 6:23 pm #9

- Winston Zeddmore
I do not have PTW, and probably won't get it till Christmas, so this is just speculation. Perhaps it Win 98 it works ok on. Maybe anything higher is just "too advanced" for it. Keep in mind, this is based on just reading the last couple of posts, so I'm probably wrong.

--KingBob

December 14th, 2002, 1:25 am #10

I recently loaded Diablo II onto this computer (though unfortunately I have no characters on it as yet), so if anyone wants to play some D2 multiplayer just send me an e-mail message of some kind.
Sulla, if you happen to have the Lord of Destruction expansion and play on the USWest Realm, either KingOfPain or I are still on D2 nearly every night of the week. If you (or anyone else here) are interested, I can send you an email with the particulars (my email address is enabled in this post).

-CC