Poison Dagger Necromancer

Poison Dagger Necromancer

October 10th, 2003, 3:18 pm #1

I seek suggestions about affixes to look for in my gear.

For starters, this is a v1.10 Poison Dagger Necromancer, who I plan to keep to the 'Slacker' rules as far as I understand them. Thus he is placing one point apiece in any skills that look useful, and only one skill will get more than that (and it will be Poison Dagger - maybe later there will be some benefit realized from synergies by putting more points in Poison Explosion or Poison Nova).

He is not doing terribly badly so far, but his 'life' is full of very close calls. He just arrived in the Canyon of the Magi, normal at clvl 20. I have been mostly conducting full clears, something that is much easier to manage in SP, since I know where he has been already.

His modus operandi thus far has been to cast whatever curses seem most appropriate, based on the monsters he sees, and then try to sneak in and stab a few monsters. I try to keep Clay Golem up just to take some of the monsters attention from him directly. I have used a Blessed Aim mercenary, because eventually I think there will be serious issues with his 'to hit', especially when he runs out of mana for the Poison Dagger skill (doesn't take long).

It has been a mixed blessing to have only one point per curse allocated. The good news is that it is possible to curse different monsters with different curses, since the area of effect is low. Thus a set of ranged attackers can get Dim Vision while another set can get Amplify Damage or Iron Maiden or Life Tap. The bad news is that this takes time (no fast cast gear), the curses don't last long and the Dim Vision usually wears off before the mêlée monsters are dead and while I am still trying to stab them all. Further, I run out of mana fast while doing all this. I have never gulped potions so much for any character, and my hands are not fast or accurate at key stabbing in battle.

Now here are the issues that I am having. Due partly to low attribute point usage and partly to lack of knowledge about how to effectively choose gear from the shop keepers, he has very low defence armour, a shield that gives a 30% chance to block, and thus a 60% chance that a Hell Clan (for example) will hit him. I can only foresee this problem getting worse, as he progresses.

So - are there gear affixes that the shop keepers will sell that would be more useful than others? Or that I should keep an eye out for in monster drops?

Edit: One last newb question. This is petty but annoying. I usually run about with my Horadric Cube in my inventory to put any drops into as I go, leaving the rest of the space for either the charms I have found or potions (lots of potions). And, dammit, it seems that I cannot drop anything into it if it is larger than the exterior dimensions of the cube. Am I doing something wrong? What gives?

Last edited by ShadowHM on October 10th, 2003, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zed
Zed

October 10th, 2003, 4:23 pm #2

You have to have the top left corner of the item over the top left corner of the cube, or something like that. I don't recall exactly but there is a specific placement requirement you have to fulfill. Depending on where your cube is in your inventory and how large the item is, this may be easier or smaller to acheive.

October 10th, 2003, 5:29 pm #3

For starters, this is a v1.10 Poison Dagger Necromancer, who I plan to keep to the 'Slacker' rules as far as I understand them. Thus he is placing one point apiece in any skills that look useful, and only one skill will get more than that (and it will be Poison Dagger - maybe later there will be some benefit realized from synergies by putting more points in Poison Explosion or Poison Nova).

He is not doing terribly badly so far, but his 'life' is full of very close calls. He just arrived in the Canyon of the Magi, normal at clvl 20. I have been mostly conducting full clears, something that is much easier to manage in SP, since I know where he has been already.

His modus operandi thus far has been to cast whatever curses seem most appropriate, based on the monsters he sees, and then try to sneak in and stab a few monsters. I try to keep Clay Golem up just to take some of the monsters attention from him directly. I have used a Blessed Aim mercenary, because eventually I think there will be serious issues with his 'to hit', especially when he runs out of mana for the Poison Dagger skill (doesn't take long).

It has been a mixed blessing to have only one point per curse allocated. The good news is that it is possible to curse different monsters with different curses, since the area of effect is low. Thus a set of ranged attackers can get Dim Vision while another set can get Amplify Damage or Iron Maiden or Life Tap. The bad news is that this takes time (no fast cast gear), the curses don't last long and the Dim Vision usually wears off before the mêlée monsters are dead and while I am still trying to stab them all. Further, I run out of mana fast while doing all this. I have never gulped potions so much for any character, and my hands are not fast or accurate at key stabbing in battle.

Now here are the issues that I am having. Due partly to low attribute point usage and partly to lack of knowledge about how to effectively choose gear from the shop keepers, he has very low defence armour, a shield that gives a 30% chance to block, and thus a 60% chance that a Hell Clan (for example) will hit him. I can only foresee this problem getting worse, as he progresses.

So - are there gear affixes that the shop keepers will sell that would be more useful than others? Or that I should keep an eye out for in monster drops?

Edit: One last newb question. This is petty but annoying. I usually run about with my Horadric Cube in my inventory to put any drops into as I go, leaving the rest of the space for either the charms I have found or potions (lots of potions). And, dammit, it seems that I cannot drop anything into it if it is larger than the exterior dimensions of the cube. Am I doing something wrong? What gives?

I keep mine in the upper left hand corner of the inventory.

Shadow
Shadow

October 10th, 2003, 6:18 pm #4

(Goldbricking again)

I just managed to kill Duriel with him. He killed me five times, the meanie, and got poor Ilzan many more than that. Sadly, that meant that the BA benefits were zip for the encounter.

Dropping one of those stored points into Bone Armour did help him survive the initial strike by Duriel and (sometimes) get a hit in.

I must say, learning to play a combined caster/mêlée char has been fun.

After reading Zed's post, I decided to try the top left hand corner of the inventory for the cube and it now allows me to drop things into it. I guess having it in the middle of the inventory, at the bottom and to the right of the charms, did not allow me to do that alignment with the top of the cube and the item I wanted to place in it.

And now.....enough of the goldbricking and off to pack for the long weekend. Happy feasting to all the Canadians and may you have much to give thanks for.

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

October 10th, 2003, 6:38 pm #5

I usually keep my cube in the upper right side of the inventory screen and when there I believe you need to place the bottom section of larger items over the cube before it accepts them.

I don't know if the area you need to overlay changes depending on where the cube is but I don't seem to remember having to use the upper left corner of spears, halberds, etc to insert them into the cube.

As a side note I wonder how long after the 1.10 official patch is released it will be until someone does the "large stash size" mod to it. Anyone know if this is in the works?

October 10th, 2003, 10:49 pm #6

... I applaud you on your good taste.

I'm playing extra-slack, but then I have three Big, Buff, Melee characters to hide behind. Between Zed's B-B-M Bowazon, Occhi's B-B-M Elemental Druid and Hawkmoon's B-B-M Sorceress, I have nothing to fear except fear itself. And undercooked scallops. And mis-matched socks.

Anyway, my one pumped skill is Skeleton Mastery. I intend to not place any points in the other two trees until after Normal. Nor am I placing any of my stat points - it's just too much effort to decide, for now. So having hit level 30, I can only get relatively weaker unless I find better gear. (We'll just say that I was a contender for "most dieing-est" when we took on Diablo.) I'll figure out what to do in Nightmare once we get there.

Also, I speed-read an alchemy grimoire - didn't want to put in the effort to really read it. Now I need a lot of gold in order to create the Sloth-i-filler's Stone (treasured by any true Slacker!) which will allow me to transmute lead into stone, or to keep my lazy bones in bed. Or something.

As a result, I'm wandering around with lotsa gold find gear. (Elzix was perfect for me to shop from. We're still negotiating on that body part swap he was interested in. Though I did get ticked on buying a pair of heavy boots with 80% GF and then realizing that I wasn't strong enough to wear them.)

At one point, I had my cube in the middle two rows of my inventory, not the top or bottom. Surrounded by potions, it was difficult for me to put a polearm into it.

-- CH

Zed
Zed

October 11th, 2003, 2:05 am #7

Ariel gave up that melee schtick (or is that stick?) quite some time ago, you know. It's been pure ranged action from A3 on! Funny how the whole boss larnin' fad seemed to die around that time too...

And her whopping 30 STR is nothing to write home about either, even if it is double yours. How else is she supposed to equip her "Zed's patented Stealth breastplate (tm)"? Even cheerleaders like her (go get 'em boys, I'll just sit back here, fire a few arrows, and cheer you on! Raaah skeletons!) build up some muscles from waving those pom-poms around all the time...

As far as damage output goes, rest assured you're at or at least near the head of the pack, so to speak. Your linebackers deliver punishment to the baddies a lot faster than pom-pom girl does. I don't think Dog Breath has maxed his Arctic Blast even though it's his one true skill, so your only contender for damage output is Hawk's sorcy.

As for why big D took a few chunks out of your hide, might I suggest that if you'd actually had some *resistances*, it might have helped? All that gold find stuff is well and good when we're slacking through the jungle and so forth, but it doesn't seem to impress the big baddies very much, ya dig? I know, I know... too much effort to change duds...

Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon

October 13th, 2003, 12:29 am #8

... I applaud you on your good taste.

I'm playing extra-slack, but then I have three Big, Buff, Melee characters to hide behind. Between Zed's B-B-M Bowazon, Occhi's B-B-M Elemental Druid and Hawkmoon's B-B-M Sorceress, I have nothing to fear except fear itself. And undercooked scallops. And mis-matched socks.

Anyway, my one pumped skill is Skeleton Mastery. I intend to not place any points in the other two trees until after Normal. Nor am I placing any of my stat points - it's just too much effort to decide, for now. So having hit level 30, I can only get relatively weaker unless I find better gear. (We'll just say that I was a contender for "most dieing-est" when we took on Diablo.) I'll figure out what to do in Nightmare once we get there.

Also, I speed-read an alchemy grimoire - didn't want to put in the effort to really read it. Now I need a lot of gold in order to create the Sloth-i-filler's Stone (treasured by any true Slacker!) which will allow me to transmute lead into stone, or to keep my lazy bones in bed. Or something.

As a result, I'm wandering around with lotsa gold find gear. (Elzix was perfect for me to shop from. We're still negotiating on that body part swap he was interested in. Though I did get ticked on buying a pair of heavy boots with 80% GF and then realizing that I wasn't strong enough to wear them.)

At one point, I had my cube in the middle two rows of my inventory, not the top or bottom. Surrounded by potions, it was difficult for me to put a polearm into it.

-- CH
...but you are insane for insinuating that Vandy is a BBM...

I think we were tied for, "Killed most often by Diablo."
:P

Cheers,
Hawkmoon

Occhi
Occhi

October 14th, 2003, 1:47 pm #9

She is a Bare Bellybuttoned Mage!

Or Brazenly Baring Midriff!

ducks

Dog Breath, of course is a

Barking Bluenosed Mastiff!

zedf-ariel is a Bold Buxom Mercenary! (Remember, Amazons are infamous in Sanctuary as warriors, and often hired as mercs.)

Must drink less coffee, really must.

October 16th, 2003, 2:13 pm #10

My hard drive died. No data was recoverable.

A new one has been installed, and I have commenced the slow process of re-loading programs, getting updates for programs, re-building the E-mail address book, etc.

Once I get D2 finally re-installed, I will need to then go once again (baby step by baby step) through Pete's work-around to let me play both v1.10s and v1.09.

One of these fine days, SepticShadow will be re-created and will meander through the game at his usual sedate pace. The good news is that there will be no other characters to tempt me to take game time away from him.