Oh crap. History is repeating it self

Oh crap. History is repeating it self

May 31st, 2002, 2:41 am #1

I am sure some of you heard about the news today.

The FBI has been reformed to full Spook status.

Back the 70's the FBI had a leash put on them for violating people's civil rights. They could no longer go into churches and other public places looking for civil unrest. Innocent until proven guilty was put firmly in place.

As of today, it ends. The Jack Booted Nazi Thugs are back ladies and gentlemen. The FBI now has guilty until proven innocent as it's agenda again. They have been given free reign to spy on everybody, monitor emails, analyze detailed reports on EVERYBODIES' internet surfing. They have a right to have their agents infiltrate churches and mosques, looking for any sort of brewing civil disobediance. They have a right to come into your home on suspicion alone to search for any sort of domestic terrorism, no warrent needed. What the hell was that bit in the constitution about search and seizure? Guess that's no longer needed.

For those not in the know, certian folks in the civil rights movement were "silenced" by the spooks in the FBI for planning protests and marches. They made a horrible mistake lumping together both the violent and non violent protestors, thinking they were all hell bent on destruction.

Official must watch groups now on the list.

All Christian churches. Because of a few nuts wearing white hoods, some nuts in Idaho with guns and an Aryan Agenda, and a few whackos blowing up abortion clinics, all Christian Churches are now considered a Hate Group and warrent investigations.

All Muslim Mosques. Even true Muslims, the peaceful pacifists who follow the true way, are now targets.

Oddly enough, the Church of Scientology... I dunno what sort of personal commentary to add here.

Anybody running websites promoting free speech or encouraging any sort of civil disobediance will be watched. Any sites found posting certian literature, like the Anarchist's Cookbook will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if they are spotted by the spooks.

Anybody suspected of harboring or supporting or plotting terrorism or acts of civil disobediance can be held, rights suspended, and tried before a military tribunal for an act of war on the USA. Any act of terrorism or act of unrest is considered an act of war... Ugh. Well that gets rid of those pesky Miranda rights and people's rights to a lawyer to defend them.

Pledging aliegence to anybody or anything other than the US Gov can now be considered an act of treason. Beware, good people of faith, offering your aliegence to what ever God you serve is now illegal. Since the spooks have the power to invade churches now any time that they please, this could potentially put a lot of folks in danger if they should become saved, converted, or born again.

Well folks, get ready, this could get mighty interesting some time soon!

May 31st, 2002, 11:32 am #2

This was my main fear about the fallout of 9/11 - that 'we' would be willing to give up personal freedoms for increased security.

I just checked in at the Globe and Mail website (a relatively conservative national newspaper here in Canada) and noted a poll on whether these new rights given to the FBI were a good thing. Even here....the poll results were 44% yes to 56% no.

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

May 31st, 2002, 12:40 pm #3

I am sure some of you heard about the news today.

The FBI has been reformed to full Spook status.

Back the 70's the FBI had a leash put on them for violating people's civil rights. They could no longer go into churches and other public places looking for civil unrest. Innocent until proven guilty was put firmly in place.

As of today, it ends. The Jack Booted Nazi Thugs are back ladies and gentlemen. The FBI now has guilty until proven innocent as it's agenda again. They have been given free reign to spy on everybody, monitor emails, analyze detailed reports on EVERYBODIES' internet surfing. They have a right to have their agents infiltrate churches and mosques, looking for any sort of brewing civil disobediance. They have a right to come into your home on suspicion alone to search for any sort of domestic terrorism, no warrent needed. What the hell was that bit in the constitution about search and seizure? Guess that's no longer needed.

For those not in the know, certian folks in the civil rights movement were "silenced" by the spooks in the FBI for planning protests and marches. They made a horrible mistake lumping together both the violent and non violent protestors, thinking they were all hell bent on destruction.

Official must watch groups now on the list.

All Christian churches. Because of a few nuts wearing white hoods, some nuts in Idaho with guns and an Aryan Agenda, and a few whackos blowing up abortion clinics, all Christian Churches are now considered a Hate Group and warrent investigations.

All Muslim Mosques. Even true Muslims, the peaceful pacifists who follow the true way, are now targets.

Oddly enough, the Church of Scientology... I dunno what sort of personal commentary to add here.

Anybody running websites promoting free speech or encouraging any sort of civil disobediance will be watched. Any sites found posting certian literature, like the Anarchist's Cookbook will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if they are spotted by the spooks.

Anybody suspected of harboring or supporting or plotting terrorism or acts of civil disobediance can be held, rights suspended, and tried before a military tribunal for an act of war on the USA. Any act of terrorism or act of unrest is considered an act of war... Ugh. Well that gets rid of those pesky Miranda rights and people's rights to a lawyer to defend them.

Pledging aliegence to anybody or anything other than the US Gov can now be considered an act of treason. Beware, good people of faith, offering your aliegence to what ever God you serve is now illegal. Since the spooks have the power to invade churches now any time that they please, this could potentially put a lot of folks in danger if they should become saved, converted, or born again.

Well folks, get ready, this could get mighty interesting some time soon!
Hey Doc,

Slow down! What makes you think that because the FBI acted in a certain way 30 years ago they will act the same way now?

Not to say that I think everything they will do will be "right" just that the majority might. (Heh, yeah might)

As far as the FBI reading emails people send, well what's the difference between email and a postcard in the US mail that anyone can read? Unless people encrypt their stuff then they are essentially sending postcards all over the place that anyone with the right equipment can read.

I for one am glad the FBI has decided to finally take the role they were meant to do, national security here on our home soil. From all I have read the FBI was meant to be a national police type agency with better communication (yeah right) and a broader jurisdiction than any local police force could do. FInding terrorists would seem to be the top concern as would stopping all the illgeal aliens that stream constantly into our shores. Immigration is good if people follow the rules, otherwise deport them and them come in legally.

Hrm, it's amusing to see so many people up in arms about how the FBI has been restructured but I don't see nearly as many people complaining when the politicians routinely practive race and class warfare and keep people segregated with their "aid programs", and let's not forget taxes. When was the last time you saw the masses upset because they were getting free money that the governemtn had robbed form someoen else to give to them?

Until such a time as ALL personal freedoms are equal across the board for everyone, and this includes freedom to keep the same percentage of your money as everyone else, then people might want to focus on the REAL problems, i.e. the gradual encroachment of government into ALL of our lives and not get all high and mighty upset for a few things they don't like.

shrug3

FoxBat
FoxBat

May 31st, 2002, 1:51 pm #4

Is that what makes it yours? Or are you really trying to say the capatlist market alone should be redistributing "our" money?

May 31st, 2002, 2:17 pm #5

Hey Doc,

Slow down! What makes you think that because the FBI acted in a certain way 30 years ago they will act the same way now?

Not to say that I think everything they will do will be "right" just that the majority might. (Heh, yeah might)

As far as the FBI reading emails people send, well what's the difference between email and a postcard in the US mail that anyone can read? Unless people encrypt their stuff then they are essentially sending postcards all over the place that anyone with the right equipment can read.

I for one am glad the FBI has decided to finally take the role they were meant to do, national security here on our home soil. From all I have read the FBI was meant to be a national police type agency with better communication (yeah right) and a broader jurisdiction than any local police force could do. FInding terrorists would seem to be the top concern as would stopping all the illgeal aliens that stream constantly into our shores. Immigration is good if people follow the rules, otherwise deport them and them come in legally.

Hrm, it's amusing to see so many people up in arms about how the FBI has been restructured but I don't see nearly as many people complaining when the politicians routinely practive race and class warfare and keep people segregated with their "aid programs", and let's not forget taxes. When was the last time you saw the masses upset because they were getting free money that the governemtn had robbed form someoen else to give to them?

Until such a time as ALL personal freedoms are equal across the board for everyone, and this includes freedom to keep the same percentage of your money as everyone else, then people might want to focus on the REAL problems, i.e. the gradual encroachment of government into ALL of our lives and not get all high and mighty upset for a few things they don't like.

shrug3
I am just old enough and well studied enough to remember and learn some really horrible things.

Lemme quote something for ya

The social climate of the late 1960s was definitely NOT on Hampton's side. The government was not supportive of any radical political organization, and in fact turned out to be downright suspicious at any attempt to challenge or change the status-quo. Discriminating against the black community was the norm. When word of a "Days of Rage" rally came to the government's attention, it was known that some members of the BPP supported this "attack on the pig power structure." Allegedly, Fred Hampton and the majority of the Chicago Panthers did not support this rally, but to the FBI they were guilty by association. This information, combined with the general suspicion the government had of the BPP, and Fred's powerful speaking and organizing skills, made Fred Hampton a wanted man. The Federal Bureau of Investigation saw Fred Hampton as a threat to society that needed to be eliminated. They conspired with the Chicago Police Department (CPD) and William O'Neal to spy on Fred to give them information about his daily itinerary in order to have O'Neal's felony charges dropped. His job was to serve as a bodyguard of Fred and director of the Chapter's security. He was suppose to notify the FBI of the Panther's apartment floor plan and how many residents lived in the apartment. When the FBI got its information a raid was authorized by the state attorney Hanrahan. FBI special agents sent a memo to J. Edgar Hoover stating that "a positive course of action (was) being effected under the counterintelligence program."

That evening Fred Hampton and several Party members including William O'Neal came home to the BPP Headquarters after a political education class. O'Neal volunteered to make the group dinner. He slipped a large dose of secobarbital in Fred's kool-aid and left the apartment around 1:30am, a little while later, Fred fell asleep. Around 4:30am on December 4, 1969 the heavily armed Chicago Police attacked the Panthers' apartment. They entered the apartment by kicking the front door down and then shooting Mark Clark pointblank in the chest. Clark was sleeping in the living room with a shotgun in his hand. His reflexes responded by firing one shot at the police before he died. That bullet was then discovered to be the only shot fired at the police by the Panthers. Their automatic gunfire entered through the walls of Fred and his pregnant girlfriend's room. Fred was shot in the shoulder. Then two officers entered the bedroom and shot Fred at pointblank in his head to make sure that he was dead, and no longer a so-called menace to society. It has been said that one officer stated, "he's good and dead now." The officers then dragged Fred's body out of his bedroom and again open fired on the members in the apartment. The Panthers were then beaten and dragged across the street where they were arrested on charges of attempted murder of the police and aggravated assault. The incident also wounded four other Panther members.

So tell me, was justice served? Where was the warrent? Due process? This is only one story of hundreds of stories.

Tainted Kool Aid aint funny folks.... Never accept a glass of government Kool Aid. Need I also remind you of the Electric Kool Aid tests done on US citizens? Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Now I have no problem with them protecting me as a citizen. I am rather glad they do. When they cross the line though and violate my constitutional and civil rights, I get a little pissed. I might not be a veteran of war, fighting for my country, but, I did spend a huge chunk of my life working so that all might have rights. And seeing stuff like this makes me so MAD I want to spit.

As for the history part, and this is what concerns me, is this is one of the many moves that Hitler did to cause Germany to fall. He gave his Secret Service full and absolute power. We already headed down that road and found out it is not good for this beloved country of ours, and quickly made ammends to correct the situation. However, enough time has passed and people have grown fat and complacent, and a good many have forgotten the harsh lessons of history.

Bush said that Terrorist seek to destroy our democracy, our way of life. Well, score one for the Terrorists. As of yesterday, our way of life just took a turn to the Facist left. Very important democratic rights were lost yesterday... The right to have a warrent for search and seizure. The right to have a fair trial. The right to be innocent until proven guilty. These things make up the core of our civil rights. They are the cornerstones that protect us as a people, both from our selves and our government.

And who will suffer? Well, for some reason I doubt the Terrorists will. Oh they might catch a few. But the real folks who will suffer will be our citizens. Our right to protest has just been threatened. Anybody gearing up to speak out or protest better be prepared to pay up. Anybody demonstrating is now in grave danger. Anybody planning or plotting to protest, to give rise to their voice in our humble democracy, runs the risk of being silenced like old Fred. Old farts like me and dozens of others, still mouthy in our old age, (Well some of us) run a risk when we speak for freedom. The next generation, in what ever form they choose to protect our rights, will now know what fear of government really means.

Call me an alarmist if you will, but, untill you sit down and study these things for your self, I ask that you with hold judgement.

Argh... I am so pissed off the coffee in my tummy is souring. Blech

May 31st, 2002, 2:28 pm #6

Is that what makes it yours? Or are you really trying to say the capatlist market alone should be redistributing "our" money?
Dammit, but money DOES have my name on it nowadays, and I do not like it.

Increasingly, transactions are taking place in traceable mediums. And I have no faith that information will not be abused. Even the most benign of possible uses are invasions of my privacy - such as the bank offering me new 'services' based on the transaction patterns they see. Worse yet, they could sell that information (or have it accessed and stolen) for use by vendors of all kinds of products who could then bombard me with offers. There are many other less benign ways that information could be used.

Lately, virtually all stores are refusing to accept $100 bills as payment, and some are refusing $50 bills. This forces me to use VISA or a debit card, or tote around a wad of $20 bills. The stated reason is fear of counterfeit money, but I remain suspicious that this fear deliberately not being addressed by the POTB (Powers That Be) in order to force us into a cashless society, where you must leave a trail behind you wherever you go.

I am a law abiding citizen, but I still resent anybody having access to any information about me that I do not choose to impart.

May 31st, 2002, 2:30 pm #7

no text
Last edited by ShadowHM on May 31st, 2002, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 31st, 2002, 2:37 pm #8

I am just old enough and well studied enough to remember and learn some really horrible things.

The social climate of the late 1960s was definitely NOT on Hampton's side. The government was not supportive of any radical political organization, and in fact turned out to be downright suspicious at any attempt to challenge or change the status-quo. Discriminating against the black community was the norm. When word of a "Days of Rage" rally came to the government's attention, it was known that some members of the BPP supported this "attack on the pig power structure." Allegedly, Fred Hampton and the majority of the Chicago Panthers did not support this rally, but to the FBI they were guilty by association. This information, combined with the general suspicion the government had of the BPP, and Fred's powerful speaking and organizing skills, made Fred Hampton a wanted man. The Federal Bureau of Investigation saw Fred Hampton as a threat to society that needed to be eliminated. They conspired with the Chicago Police Department (CPD) and William O'Neal to spy on Fred to give them information about his daily itinerary in order to have O'Neal's felony charges dropped. His job was to serve as a bodyguard of Fred and director of the Chapter's security. He was suppose to notify the FBI of the Panther's apartment floor plan and how many residents lived in the apartment. When the FBI got its information a raid was authorized by the state attorney Hanrahan. FBI special agents sent a memo to J. Edgar Hoover stating that "a positive course of action (was) being effected under the counterintelligence program."

That evening Fred Hampton and several Party members including William O'Neal came home to the BPP Headquarters after a political education class. O'Neal volunteered to make the group dinner. He slipped a large dose of secobarbital in Fred's kool-aid and left the apartment around 1:30am, a little while later, Fred fell asleep. Around 4:30am on December 4, 1969 the heavily armed Chicago Police attacked the Panthers' apartment. They entered the apartment by kicking the front door down and then shooting Mark Clark pointblank in the chest. Clark was sleeping in the living room with a shotgun in his hand. His reflexes responded by firing one shot at the police before he died. That bullet was then discovered to be the only shot fired at the police by the Panthers. Their automatic gunfire entered through the walls of Fred and his pregnant girlfriend's room. Fred was shot in the shoulder. Then two officers entered the bedroom and shot Fred at pointblank in his head to make sure that he was dead, and no longer a so-called menace to society. It has been said that one officer stated, "he's good and dead now." The officers then dragged Fred's body out of his bedroom and again open fired on the members in the apartment. The Panthers were then beaten and dragged across the street where they were arrested on charges of attempted murder of the police and aggravated assault. The incident also wounded four other Panther members.

So tell me, was justice served? Where was the warrent? Due process? This is only one story of hundreds of stories.

Tainted Kool Aid aint funny folks.... Never accept a glass of government Kool Aid. Need I also remind you of the Electric Kool Aid tests done on US citizens? Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Now I have no problem with them protecting me as a citizen. I am rather glad they do. When they cross the line though and violate my constitutional and civil rights, I get a little pissed. I might not be a veteran of war, fighting for my country, but, I did spend a huge chunk of my life working so that all might have rights. And seeing stuff like this makes me so MAD I want to spit.

As for the history part, and this is what concerns me, is this is one of the many moves that Hitler did to cause Germany to fall. He gave his Secret Service full and absolute power. We already headed down that road and found out it is not good for this beloved country of ours, and quickly made ammends to correct the situation. However, enough time has passed and people have grown fat and complacent, and a good many have forgotten the harsh lessons of history.

Bush said that Terrorist seek to destroy our democracy, our way of life. Well, score one for the Terrorists. As of yesterday, our way of life just took a turn to the Facist left. Very important democratic rights were lost yesterday... The right to have a warrent for search and seizure. The right to have a fair trial. The right to be innocent until proven guilty. These things make up the core of our civil rights. They are the cornerstones that protect us as a people, both from our selves and our government.

And who will suffer? Well, for some reason I doubt the Terrorists will. Oh they might catch a few. But the real folks who will suffer will be our citizens. Our right to protest has just been threatened. Anybody gearing up to speak out or protest better be prepared to pay up. Anybody demonstrating is now in grave danger. Anybody planning or plotting to protest, to give rise to their voice in our humble democracy, runs the risk of being silenced like old Fred. Old farts like me and dozens of others, still mouthy in our old age, (Well some of us) run a risk when we speak for freedom. The next generation, in what ever form they choose to protect our rights, will now know what fear of government really means.

Call me an alarmist if you will, but, untill you sit down and study these things for your self, I ask that you with hold judgement.

double post
Last edited by ilbrutto on May 31st, 2002, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 31st, 2002, 2:40 pm #9

If you are going to cite the Black Panthers as an organization that was persecuted, considering their political agenda, then I simply will ask:

Are you as worried about the present security of members of the Aryan Brotherhood? The mmilitias of Idaho and Montana? Any number of the Tongs in San Francisco? The West Coast Crips?

I realize that I present a bit of a Slippery Slope, but I will ask: where do you draw the line between a political body in pursuit of reform, who uses violent means to an end, and those who as a matter of principle break the law, violently, in pursuit of political or social objectives? This almost begs another "when does the ends justifies the means" type of discussion. Put differently, I think Malcom X, for all of his desires to effect positive change, was utterly wrong with his doctrine of "by any means necessary." He vacated the moral high ground with that pronouncement. Ghandi, King: they understood the power of keeping the moral high ground.

More currently, I am concerned about the Cabinet post assigned to Governor Rich, (solving problems through reorganization? Tilt!!) the idiocy of the alleged 'security measures put in place' by the FAA that do not allow logical suspect MO and profiling to be implemented, and the risk, the real risk, to our civil liberties.

What pisses me off most is that the very difficult to resolve societal issue of the police practice of racial profiling that results in such real problems as "arrested for driving while black" is being co opted by the Arab community as though their legacy, the opportuny to come here and start again in better conditions than previously, is in any way equivalent to the very real social mine field that the black man has walked in this country.

Once again, some one is crawling up on the black man's back and trying to get a free ride.

What a bunch of crap.

May 31st, 2002, 2:45 pm #10

Dammit, but money DOES have my name on it nowadays, and I do not like it.

Increasingly, transactions are taking place in traceable mediums. And I have no faith that information will not be abused. Even the most benign of possible uses are invasions of my privacy - such as the bank offering me new 'services' based on the transaction patterns they see. Worse yet, they could sell that information (or have it accessed and stolen) for use by vendors of all kinds of products who could then bombard me with offers. There are many other less benign ways that information could be used.

Lately, virtually all stores are refusing to accept $100 bills as payment, and some are refusing $50 bills. This forces me to use VISA or a debit card, or tote around a wad of $20 bills. The stated reason is fear of counterfeit money, but I remain suspicious that this fear deliberately not being addressed by the POTB (Powers That Be) in order to force us into a cashless society, where you must leave a trail behind you wherever you go.

I am a law abiding citizen, but I still resent anybody having access to any information about me that I do not choose to impart.
Well done!

nice littel splash at the bottom, too.