I'll come clean too

I'll come clean too

May 7th, 2003, 9:13 am #1

Just recently while ChariSahara and my naked zon FireEngineRed were questing NM Izzy, I went afk without announcement and made myself a nice cup of coffee while Charis and my minions were battling Izzy... Don't worry Charis, Mama will tank for you

Okay, one confession at a time is all you will get.

Think Meph is sick of being killed over and over again?
Might Enchanted?

We are not just a company, we are gamers too. We know such a powerful item would be too uber for anyone under Clvl 77.

Sad that Bliz bent to public opinion on this one (clvl requirements), got confused in the process and screwed up big, making lots of otherwise nice items useless or pointless.

I personally am not looking forward to the new patch. Seems like the hype (at least part of it) is on new items. Sheesh, I haven't even seen most of the elite sets and unique items - Do I need more items that I'll never have!? Do I need more items that I'll never use due to thier ridiculous clvl requirement? Do I need or want a GrandFather when I am Clvl 81 when my character is probably (semi)retire 5-10 clvl ago? Do I need more uber items that the game will be balanced on, to make what I have even less powerful? Do the h.ackers need extra incentive in economic boost to h.ack more?

Sorry, some people might get all excited about new items but I don't buy into this kind of marketing ploy. No doubt that some good might come from the new patch as surely as there will be screwups. Whatever, I just hope Bliz release the friggin patch already and keep their hands off.

KoP

May 7th, 2003, 10:52 am #2

...is nothing but a big headache. More crap that I have to rip apart and rebuild (or throw out) from scratch. But that's beside the point.

You and I spoke on this earlier. I've been pretty adamant (if only with myself) on my stand regarding modifying the Realm files. As you know, there is only so much I can do without requiring a downloadable patch. However, I do believe that removing clvl requirements from items is doable, without repercussions (in so far as needing a patch to rectify problems). That said, is this something people would want? I am limited in what I can modify, but it's still a fair bit. Quite a fair bit, actually. I'm not about to do anything, though, unless there's enough support for it. And even then, I'm hesitant, and may just call the whole idea off. Period.

So, I come to you with a question: if there was one modification you could do to the Realms in order to improve gameplay, what would it be? I.e. removing clvl requirements on items, or modifying the "Uber" drop rate chances for bosses, etc. Is there any desire for such a thing? And, if so, what specifically?

I don't, at this time, have ANY inclination to modify the Realm at all, whatsoever. However, the enjoyment of my userbase is my first and foremost concern. As such, I try to be as open as possible to suggestions on how to improve the Realm. Whether this is a step I am willing to take, or not take, I have not yet decided. But, I am willing to at least hear people's opinions on the matter, before making any further "final" decisions. So, have at it. Let me know. And, if I deem it doable, and worth doing, and if I can do it and still feel comfortable, mayhap I shall. We shall see.

Roland The Gunslinger
The Diablo Strategy Compendium
http://www.diablosc.com/
The Diablo Strategy Compendium Forums
http://www.diablosc.com/cgi-bin/dcboard/dcforum.cgi

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

May 7th, 2003, 11:33 am #3

Isn't the 1.10 patch 'supposed' to make the files ore acessable and change a lot of the things in the game so they can be adjusted instead of hard coded? At least that was my impression from reading on what's 'supposed' to be in the patch.

Level requirements don't bother me as much if they were better thought out. The two things I'd like to change if I could would be as follows:

1) Clean out and/or re-organize the affix pool so it worked beter. Get rid of some of these stupid, usless modifiers (hey I am a spearazon and get a good Amazon only weapon with inner sight charges? Wouldn't I ALREADY have that skill in use by the time I found this? :rolleyes: ) and modify the pool in general so that when a magic item rolled it would be usefull for the majority of the characters it is intended for and not simply 'another 30/35k item to sell'.

2) After number one was done, then change the level requirements so they made sense, but not necesarily remove them. I don't know about most of the other players, but level requirements give me something to look forward to before and after level 30 for something other than new skills. Nothing quite like reaching XX level and finally being able to equip that better piece of equipment you found and stashed
and have been drooling over ever since.

(Another minor sugestion would be to tweak the treasure classes to have some of the most rare stuff have better than a 1:1,000,000 chance to drop. Not so much it would become common, just be nice to have SOMEONE in the community find it without having to put 5,000 hours into the game.)

May 7th, 2003, 1:07 pm #4

Just recently while ChariSahara and my naked zon FireEngineRed were questing NM Izzy, I went afk without announcement and made myself a nice cup of coffee while Charis and my minions were battling Izzy... Don't worry Charis, Mama will tank for you

Might Enchanted?

We are not just a company, we are gamers too. We know such a powerful item would be too uber for anyone under Clvl 77.

Sad that Bliz bent to public opinion on this one (clvl requirements), got confused in the process and screwed up big, making lots of otherwise nice items useless or pointless.

I personally am not looking forward to the new patch. Seems like the hype (at least part of it) is on new items. Sheesh, I haven't even seen most of the elite sets and unique items - Do I need more items that I'll never have!? Do I need more items that I'll never use due to thier ridiculous clvl requirement? Do I need or want a GrandFather when I am Clvl 81 when my character is probably (semi)retire 5-10 clvl ago? Do I need more uber items that the game will be balanced on, to make what I have even less powerful? Do the h.ackers need extra incentive in economic boost to h.ack more?

Sorry, some people might get all excited about new items but I don't buy into this kind of marketing ploy. No doubt that some good might come from the new patch as surely as there will be screwups. Whatever, I just hope Bliz release the friggin patch already and keep their hands off.

KoP
Courtesy of this post:
http://www.battle.net/Forums/wow/thread ... 8&PageNo=3

*Good question. There's been no official confirmation yet, but Bill Roper shared his personal opinions about this matter on a recent interview:

http://www.gamer.no/intervjuer/warcraft ... side2.html

Gamer.no: Involvement in this fantasy world is important, and names play a central role in this. What do you plan to do to keep people from naming their character "Leet Dude" with numbers and other bizarre things?

Roper: We could do something by not allowing numbers to be available choices for a name. It has not been discussed. You could go as far as having a strict naming policy, and some games have had role playing servers. Some people like to have characters named "Leet Dude". It is not something we have discussed and have come up with a policy for, but everyone seems to have more fun when there is a feeling of involvement in the world. We might end up with a naming policy and push people in that direction. I think its best when you have a name that's funny, and and sound right. Like for example the little dwarf Stumpy Windbottom. It sounds right and people will laugh when they see it. I actually had a character in Dark Age of Camelot that was a little Kobold and was named Woot Leetskills, something that sounds amazing. No one ever had a problem with that, it was just cool. Just try to be smart when choosing a name. I think there is something we're always trying in the WarCraft games, and that is to include humor and be smart about it. If people follow that attitude then we're in for some fun.*

Re: Naming policy in World of Warcraft.

. . .

Yeah. So anyway, here's a quote to go along with the above, which sums up my feelings quite nicely:

*Guys, remind me if I ever see bill in-game to switch over to a faction(or whatever way to become pvp) just to Pk him...over, and over, and over again.*

And people wonder why Blizzard cater to the masses? It ain't money-grubbing (or, at least, SOLELY money grubbing). It's that they ARE the masses. My respect for them dwindles with each passing day... (Not that any of this is news to me. It's just the more I hear it, the more it truly sinks in. :P)

Roland The Gunslinger

Occhi
Occhi

May 7th, 2003, 3:26 pm #5

Might Enchanted?

KoP
The clvl req thing is sooooo in need of overhaul . . .

Sigons, allowed on level 9 when not a single item in the set can drop in Act I? Or, for that matter, in Act II?

:P

T-hawk
T-hawk

May 7th, 2003, 10:37 pm #6

Courtesy of this post:
http://www.battle.net/Forums/wow/thread ... 8&PageNo=3

*Good question. There's been no official confirmation yet, but Bill Roper shared his personal opinions about this matter on a recent interview:

http://www.gamer.no/intervjuer/warcraft ... side2.html

Gamer.no: Involvement in this fantasy world is important, and names play a central role in this. What do you plan to do to keep people from naming their character "Leet Dude" with numbers and other bizarre things?

Roper: We could do something by not allowing numbers to be available choices for a name. It has not been discussed. You could go as far as having a strict naming policy, and some games have had role playing servers. Some people like to have characters named "Leet Dude". It is not something we have discussed and have come up with a policy for, but everyone seems to have more fun when there is a feeling of involvement in the world. We might end up with a naming policy and push people in that direction. I think its best when you have a name that's funny, and and sound right. Like for example the little dwarf Stumpy Windbottom. It sounds right and people will laugh when they see it. I actually had a character in Dark Age of Camelot that was a little Kobold and was named Woot Leetskills, something that sounds amazing. No one ever had a problem with that, it was just cool. Just try to be smart when choosing a name. I think there is something we're always trying in the WarCraft games, and that is to include humor and be smart about it. If people follow that attitude then we're in for some fun.*

Re: Naming policy in World of Warcraft.

. . .

Yeah. So anyway, here's a quote to go along with the above, which sums up my feelings quite nicely:

*Guys, remind me if I ever see bill in-game to switch over to a faction(or whatever way to become pvp) just to Pk him...over, and over, and over again.*

And people wonder why Blizzard cater to the masses? It ain't money-grubbing (or, at least, SOLELY money grubbing). It's that they ARE the masses. My respect for them dwindles with each passing day... (Not that any of this is news to me. It's just the more I hear it, the more it truly sinks in. :P)

Roland The Gunslinger

I realized this back when Bolty made his visit to Blizzard to see the LoD work-in-progress (this was around January 2001 if I remember correctly). In general, that article revealed a lot about the people behind the game. There was an unmistakable attitude of "whoa dude this will be so cool" reigning supreme, and very little attention paid to the actual mechanics of the game.

Lame excuses for terribly old bugs like ARx4 were offered. One of the programmers actually said he just parked the Smith when getting the Malus rather than bothering to fight. Not to mention them all bragging about how clever the Secret Cow Level was.

That comment that "Blizzard ARE the masses" is right on. They're barely what we'd call gamers. Their job is to pack the box full of cool stuff that will sell, and they know it. If a halfway-playable game happens to come out, so much the better (or worse.)

May 7th, 2003, 11:27 pm #7

The clvl req thing is sooooo in need of overhaul . . .

Sigons, allowed on level 9 when not a single item in the set can drop in Act I? Or, for that matter, in Act II?

:P
OTOH, it's not like Sigon's set really merits a level req of 25 either.

If I was going to rant about a set, it would be Death's. Leather Gloves, a Sash, and... a War Sword !?!?! Two of the lowest level items and the highest level normal one handed sword? How could it get worse short of tossing in exceptionals/elites?

It would be nice if the items in a set were all natural drops to the same act/difficulty. And the set itself powerful enough be worth wearing for a few acts after that. Though this may be what you were implying.

It's the gamepiece jackpot mentality of having one key piece that's near impossible to find that's annoying to me. Why make set's if no one's ever going to complete them. (Deviant's like KoP and co., excluded )

I lump that with the idea that "it's not gambling if it's possible to win".

For Roland:

I think "way cool" items should be findable, but rare enough that I say "way cool!". But, perhaps it should also work that as the group size gets larger, the drop rate should decrease. So uniques should be pretty common in SP, a touch less so in LAN play, and scaling down on realms, depending on the realm size. DSF may just be the right size to correspond to the existing drop rates.

It depends on what dynamics you want to encourage on the realm. A commune of people sharing? Rugged individualists?

At home - for SP and LAN - I'm running a modified Sanctury Reborn. Though the only really noticable thing about that is that I found the Fire Lizard hide boots. (The first elite unique I ever found. I was jazzed - it was even useful for the trap assassin who found it.) But all the extra runewords and recipes look neat, even if I haven't used them.

My personal mods (may be in SR, too) are:

- cube all runes up, don't stop at Thul. (Easy to add the recipes to cubemain.txt.)

- 1.06 gambling odds (Have to edit d2game.dll, afaik)

- gamble all items - include all class specific, rods, gems, charms (easy to add to gamble.txt) - rods need a high gamble price since +skills are so over valued for resale (weapons.txt)

But again, this is SP to (rarely) 4 people.

- CH

May 8th, 2003, 12:02 am #8

I do, after all, work on the Dark Tower mod. It's my baby. Or one of them. :D

*It depends on what dynamics you want to encourage on the realm. A commune of people sharing? Rugged individualists?*

I have "DSF" mules for a reason. Some very kind people (most notably KoP and CB-13) have been very generous enough to donate numerous items to said mules. They exist by the community, for the community. Got a really neat set item you want? Dreaming for that cool unique? Ask me, and I'll see if the mules have it. :D

The current mules:
Gems
Runes
Jewels
Sets
Uniques

If you have spare of anything, find me in a game (usually marked "Roland") and dump it off. If you know of something you know, drop me a line. I'll see if I can pick it up for you, or put it on hold if I come across it.

Keep in mind, these are here to help foster the community, and bring it together. They are NOT there to be your personal piggy bank. Be responsible in your requests, and give back to the mules. If you're done with an item, don't throw it out. Pass it on to someone who wants it, or drop it off to a mule. Our "economy" here on this Realm is exactly what WE make it. Do we want to turn it into the cesspool that B.Net is (this WITHOUT the dupes, hacks, etc.)? Everyone charging outrageous prices for items? I don't think so. It's not what I want. And that's why I created these mules. If people want to trade items, so be it. That's their choice, and I'm fine with it.

However, I believe that the "share and share alike" mentality applies VERY well to our community(s) and on the Realm. So far, I think it's been a huge success. More and more people are "keeping the mules in mind" when they come across an item they don't want, and I have already supplied a good number of items to people who had use for them. Most were "junk", such as a Bloodfist to Beorix, or a Sigon's Gloves to CelticHound to go with the armor. Some were of a bit higher calibre. The point being that I lose nothing by giving away these items, except the item itself. In the short term, that is a minor loss. In the long term, I know that not only will I see that item again, but that the people who have recieved items from the mules are much more likely to give back, thus furthering their use.

We have a home to call our own. A Realm run by a gamer, with no hacks, dupes, or any spoilage of any kind. It is what we make it to be. We can mold it however we like, more or less.

It's not "It depends on what dynamics you want to encourage on the Realm". It's "what dynamics WE want to encourage on the Realm". What do YOU want out of this Realm?

Back to the topic at hand, re: Modding, that is a big step. Most people don't play mods. Modding the Realm doesn't affect one or two people. It affects EVERYONE. There are some things that I probably wouldn't mind doing, i.e. adding in new Rune Words. There are other things, however, that while they could be done, would produce some awkward and unwanted affects (adding in new Sets, Uniques, etc.; all their names have to go into a downloaded patch, otherwise they don't display properly (i.e. they're displayed in [ ]'s, a minor issue, but still an issue). If there's enough support, I could (and would) implement some new features that don't drastically alter the game (i.e. new Rune Words), but do add to the overall enjoyment and improvement of the game. However, there are other things that I'm very hesitant to touch (i.e. Gambling odds, Pre's / Suff's, etc.; I COULD just pull the .txt's straight from my mod, but that would introduce alot of display issues, as noted above; and, they haven't been 100% balanced).

Just as an example of what I possibly could (not certain) implement, but do not want to at this time:
- Balanced skills (as per my mod)
- Minor bug fixes (critical strike, etc.)
- Improved Gambling odds
- Altered / improved Pre's / Suff's (as per my mod; basically, what I did was re-introduce the Rare as the new, ultimate item).
- New Crafts / Rune Words (using existing Rune Word names that aren't actually in use).

Etc. I could potentially do alot, without requiring a downloadable patch. The question is: is this something WE, as a whole Realm, want? Adding in new Rune Words probably isn't a big deal, but completely redoing the Pre / Suff tables? Yeah, that's big. And then there's the display issues. Will people want, or be willing, to deal with that? I don't know. Frankly, I'm not ready to find out.

The point is, if I wanted to mod the Realm, I would have put Dark Tower on it, not vanilla D2. Just because it CAN be done does not mean it SHOULD be done. But, it's not 100% my decision. Though I may the final call, it doesn't amount for a whole lot. What matters is what YOU, what the COMMUNITY, what the Realm as a whole, wants. I just decide, in the end, what to do, based on the feedback and opinions of my userbase. I'm very open to what others want done. It's just a matter of hearing their opinions.

Roland The Gunslinger

May 8th, 2003, 12:05 am #9

OTOH, it's not like Sigon's set really merits a level req of 25 either.

If I was going to rant about a set, it would be Death's. Leather Gloves, a Sash, and... a War Sword !?!?! Two of the lowest level items and the highest level normal one handed sword? How could it get worse short of tossing in exceptionals/elites?

It would be nice if the items in a set were all natural drops to the same act/difficulty. And the set itself powerful enough be worth wearing for a few acts after that. Though this may be what you were implying.

It's the gamepiece jackpot mentality of having one key piece that's near impossible to find that's annoying to me. Why make set's if no one's ever going to complete them. (Deviant's like KoP and co., excluded )

I lump that with the idea that "it's not gambling if it's possible to win".

For Roland:

I think "way cool" items should be findable, but rare enough that I say "way cool!". But, perhaps it should also work that as the group size gets larger, the drop rate should decrease. So uniques should be pretty common in SP, a touch less so in LAN play, and scaling down on realms, depending on the realm size. DSF may just be the right size to correspond to the existing drop rates.

It depends on what dynamics you want to encourage on the realm. A commune of people sharing? Rugged individualists?

At home - for SP and LAN - I'm running a modified Sanctury Reborn. Though the only really noticable thing about that is that I found the Fire Lizard hide boots. (The first elite unique I ever found. I was jazzed - it was even useful for the trap assassin who found it.) But all the extra runewords and recipes look neat, even if I haven't used them.

My personal mods (may be in SR, too) are:

- cube all runes up, don't stop at Thul. (Easy to add the recipes to cubemain.txt.)

- 1.06 gambling odds (Have to edit d2game.dll, afaik)

- gamble all items - include all class specific, rods, gems, charms (easy to add to gamble.txt) - rods need a high gamble price since +skills are so over valued for resale (weapons.txt)

But again, this is SP to (rarely) 4 people.

- CH
I don't think modifying that will require a patch. Not 100% sure, though. Here are the changes implemented in it in the DT mod, however, which I can easily drop onto the Realm (just the D2Game.dll):

- Increased number of items available in Gambling screen to 30.
- Modified % chance to get a Magical / Rare / Set / Unique to 85% / 10% / 4% / 1%.
- Portal to the Cow Level can now be opened multiple times.
- Fixed the Anya quest reward bug involving the +resistance scroll.
- Fixed the Barbarian / Assassin Critical Strike bug.

All in all, mostly minor things, but VERY nice things, IMO. If it's wanted, I will implement this. But, it's up to you.

Roland The Gunslinger

Charis
Charis

May 8th, 2003, 12:53 am #10

Might Enchanted?

KoP
I'm not looking forward to 1.10, and don't care so much about uber items. With some chars I like decent gear, strong even, with others I choose much weaker gear. But two things do come to mind that would be (for me) very nice:

- Better chances of higher lvl runes. Right now the rarest rune I've seen is what, an Ist? Sheesh. I truly doubt I've seen 50% of the runes, and don't think I have the slightest chance ever to make a Silence or a rune word item with moderately rare runes. I would have more places to stick a Shael than I would ever find in 10 years of gaming. I don't even want to see a zod, I'm not talking a massive change, but something to give a little bit better chance to see the better runes (and/or more shaels :P)

- Any chance whatsoever of "Players nn" command being active on realms? I can't for the life of me imagine why it's not already! If a player can handle 8x monsters, why should he have to hunt around for a pubbie 8 game and fight/rush for a 'prime area'. It would help to be able to go into any game and (for the host?) to decide the player nn difficulty level regardless of how many are actually there. Then too we would have to choose 'between' a leveling game and a game with a few players.

Charis