Heading to Neverland

Heading to Neverland

Occhi
Occhi

November 18th, 2003, 9:20 pm #1

Well, apparently the cops in Santa Barbara County are doing so, why not you? "We can fly, we can fly, we can fly!" But why?

Authorities search Michael Jackson's Ranch

From CNN.com Tuesday, November 18, 2003 Posted: 3:49 PM EST (2049 GMT)

Investigators from the Santa Barbara County District Attorney's Office and Sheriff's Department searched entertainer Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch in California Tuesday as part of an "ongoing criminal investigation," a spokesman said. The nature of the investigation -- or what they were searching for -- was not disclosed.

Stuart Backerman, a spokesman for Jackson said the singer was up all night shooting a video in Las Vegas and as of 12:30 p.m. PT (3:30 p.m. ET) was resting, so "he doesn't know about it [the search] yet." Beckerman said Jackson has been in Las Vegas for the past 2 1/2 weeks, shooting a video to promote a CBS special called "One More Chance." The spokesman had no comment to make on the search at Neverland Ranch.

"We're unaware of what the substance of this matter is," Backerman told CNN's Frank Buckley in a telephone interview. Backerman said no one was aware that the sheriff's department was coming Tuesday.

*Occhinote: after checking a few different news progs on the radio, it seems that this is related to a molestation charge in re a 12 year old. Possibly a red herring, and not necessarily Mr Jackson being the perp.*

The search warrant was served at 8:30 a.m. (11:30 a.m. EST), said Chris Pappas, a spokesman for the sheriff's department, and investigators were still on the scene several hours later.

Attorney Larry R. Feldman, who represented the alleged victim in a child molestation lawsuit against Michael Jackson nearly a decade ago, told CNN Tuesday he would "not confirm or deny" that he is currently representing anyone in a civil or criminal investigation pertaining to Jackson because of possible "violation of attorney-client privilege."

*Gee, what a surprise.*

In 1994, Feldman settled a lawsuit brought by a 14-year-old boy who spent time at the Neverland Ranch alleging that Michael Jackson sexually molested him. The terms of the settlement were confidential although the boy's attorney, Feldman, said at the time they were happy to resolve the matter and put it behind him.

_Johnnie Cochran) Jackson's attorney in that case, said at the time that Jackson maintained his innocence and that settlement was in no way an admission of guilt.

So, Johnny Cochran got a referral from Michael Jackson to O.J. Simpson. How droll. I wonder if he will be on the case for Mr. Jackson on this one.

November 19th, 2003, 5:30 am #2

There's a thread below mentioning the game of the year edition with both expansion packs for $30. I say it at Fry's tonight.

What are impressions? Can I get playing quickly? Does it have legs?

I know there was a thread about it on the LL, but there is no LL at the moment.

-- CH

November 19th, 2003, 3:09 pm #3

Well, apparently the cops in Santa Barbara County are doing so, why not you? "We can fly, we can fly, we can fly!" But why?

Investigators from the Santa Barbara County District Attorney's Office and Sheriff's Department searched entertainer Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch in California Tuesday as part of an "ongoing criminal investigation," a spokesman said. The nature of the investigation -- or what they were searching for -- was not disclosed.

Stuart Backerman, a spokesman for Jackson said the singer was up all night shooting a video in Las Vegas and as of 12:30 p.m. PT (3:30 p.m. ET) was resting, so "he doesn't know about it [the search] yet." Beckerman said Jackson has been in Las Vegas for the past 2 1/2 weeks, shooting a video to promote a CBS special called "One More Chance." The spokesman had no comment to make on the search at Neverland Ranch.

"We're unaware of what the substance of this matter is," Backerman told CNN's Frank Buckley in a telephone interview. Backerman said no one was aware that the sheriff's department was coming Tuesday.

*Occhinote: after checking a few different news progs on the radio, it seems that this is related to a molestation charge in re a 12 year old. Possibly a red herring, and not necessarily Mr Jackson being the perp.*

The search warrant was served at 8:30 a.m. (11:30 a.m. EST), said Chris Pappas, a spokesman for the sheriff's department, and investigators were still on the scene several hours later.

Attorney Larry R. Feldman, who represented the alleged victim in a child molestation lawsuit against Michael Jackson nearly a decade ago, told CNN Tuesday he would "not confirm or deny" that he is currently representing anyone in a civil or criminal investigation pertaining to Jackson because of possible "violation of attorney-client privilege."

*Gee, what a surprise.*

In 1994, Feldman settled a lawsuit brought by a 14-year-old boy who spent time at the Neverland Ranch alleging that Michael Jackson sexually molested him. The terms of the settlement were confidential although the boy's attorney, Feldman, said at the time they were happy to resolve the matter and put it behind him.

_Johnnie Cochran) Jackson's attorney in that case, said at the time that Jackson maintained his innocence and that settlement was in no way an admission of guilt.

So, Johnny Cochran got a referral from Michael Jackson to O.J. Simpson. How droll. I wonder if he will be on the case for Mr. Jackson on this one.
I saw this cartoon yesterday and just had to snicker, as I have the same problem - I just cannot type like the l33t.

http://www.uclick.com/client/can/ft/200 ... index.html

But, behold, when I sent the link to a friend who suffers (?) the same problem, she sent this to me. Now you too can send messages just like them.

http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/ao ... lator.html

Occhi
Occhi

November 19th, 2003, 4:01 pm #4

THX SHADOW TAHT WAS PRATY FUNY111!11!1 WTF LOL SEND US MORE1111!!!1 WTF LOL

That was for: Thanks, Shadow, that was pretty funny. Send us more.

I WAS SHAEVD AGANEST MAH WIL MAH MICHAEL JAKSONS MONK3Y!1!1!11! OMG WTF

That was: I was shaved against my will my Michael Jackson's Monkey!

(Footnote: The above is a line from the "liveandletdive" the 'Lemmings over the Cliff' cartoon. Check it out at joecartoon.com, much funnier than that spell checker, if a bit sick.)

Occhi
Occhi

November 19th, 2003, 6:13 pm #5

*Gee, what a surprise.*

I am reading a rather improbable treatise at the moment regarding, of all things, the "Biblical Basis of Science" (by Morris, second edition, first edition pub IIRC 1970). A friend passed it to me -- a SoBap Doc but a nice one -- and it is hard going for me due to the frequency of paid political announcements for Scripture in every bloody chapter, as well as the continual insertion in reasoning chains of 'so it must have been God the Creator who did this, it is the only logical explanation' when the logic and evidentiary chain is in the middle of exposition. Most disorienting, to be sure, and I think it is written to believers almost as a work of propaganda rather than as a stand alone.

But I'll finish it, both as a favor to the friend, and because now and again the synthesis is most interesting.

(Morris says such things as 'black holes do not exist' that make me wish he'd read and understood more Hawking before he'd finally edited his latest edition, it hurts his credibility when he does this, and it makes reading the book more painful. Come to think of it, he does that with a lot of stuff that is not simple, 3D spacatial orientation, such as his attack on any distance measured over 300 light years, a limit on precision imposed by the triangulation error inherent in the apices of the earth's orbital plane, for example. And this guy is a engineer.)

Thanks to this book, there is a reference that intrigues me, a reference to Boyle's Steady State Universe theory, the one which posits a flow of stuff through 'non observable time' and 'non observable space.' While it is on shaky ground in re other cosmology, and I guess even Boyle is not all that keen on it anymore (heck, he's cool on a lot of subjects, being dead!)

I had a visual picture of things funneling through black holes, through a pipe in some 'negative universe' or 'non space time' or 'imaginary space time' (imginary like imaginary numbers) and then being pumped back out into our spacetime at some 'place' or a series of 'places' that are not black holes. I then had a picture of some fingers being put into cosmic dykes to stop all this eruption of matter, which of course would cause black hole pipeline constipation, and then a reversal of black holes into super nova's due to matter back pressure achieving critical mass within the black holes -- even with anti matter -sh__ happens -- and then I started to reach for the caffeine since my head was starting to hurt.

Doubtless some readers are now reaching for duct tape, an aspirin, or their specs, wondering if they just read what they thought they read! Sorry for any lobal blowouts, folks, this stuff makes my brain cook off.

From Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" I infer that Boyle was either just plain wrong, or that he was out where he could not prove anything with data or more solid analysis, but I get the impression that what Hawking was getting at in his space time explanation for us laymen in "A Brief History of Time" was that the conservation of mass, if true, would preclude that process due to the boundaries of spacetime.

Do any of you smarter physics folks know of a good, for the layman, treatment of Boyle's Steady State theory, and it successor?

I am going to have to go back and read Brief History of Time yet again to refresh what I "get" from that.

Oh, and while I am at it, I don't understnad why Hawking was so disquited by "God as spectator" in his later comments. On a practical level, I don't see why that is not an option.

God

Hmmmm, let's do this and watch it unfold. This is GOOD! I know where it is headed, but I'm glad I tossed in enough uncertainty so that I can get some nice little surprises now and again. That sure beats knowing how simply everything will turn out, like with those Hydrogen atoms. Oh yeah, here's a platypus, just to make folks wonder a bit.

time passes

What's that, they invented the game of Cricket and Sims on Line? I gave them this, and they did that? What have I done?!

Occhi
Occhi

November 19th, 2003, 6:43 pm #6

http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/galaxy/

Though it discusses steady state galaxies as, if I read it correctly, a perpetual motion machine conserving both mass and energy, though if additional mass arrives from outside of the galaxy in question, and thus upsets the balance, I am unclear as to how that influences the steady state galaxy.

Another comment.

"Scientists can't measure what happens to a photon over a period of a minute, let alone what happens to to it over a period of a billion years. Based on current knowledge, there is no way scientists can state with absolute certainty that photons do not lose energy over time."

I was unaware that this was a matter of disupte, but I don't watch this debate every day.

Lissa
Lissa

November 19th, 2003, 6:51 pm #7

I am reading a rather improbable treatise at the moment regarding, of all things, the "Biblical Basis of Science" (by Morris, second edition, first edition pub IIRC 1970). A friend passed it to me -- a SoBap Doc but a nice one -- and it is hard going for me due to the frequency of paid political announcements for Scripture in every bloody chapter, as well as the continual insertion in reasoning chains of 'so it must have been God the Creator who did this, it is the only logical explanation' when the logic and evidentiary chain is in the middle of exposition. Most disorienting, to be sure, and I think it is written to believers almost as a work of propaganda rather than as a stand alone.

But I'll finish it, both as a favor to the friend, and because now and again the synthesis is most interesting.

(Morris says such things as 'black holes do not exist' that make me wish he'd read and understood more Hawking before he'd finally edited his latest edition, it hurts his credibility when he does this, and it makes reading the book more painful. Come to think of it, he does that with a lot of stuff that is not simple, 3D spacatial orientation, such as his attack on any distance measured over 300 light years, a limit on precision imposed by the triangulation error inherent in the apices of the earth's orbital plane, for example. And this guy is a engineer.)

Thanks to this book, there is a reference that intrigues me, a reference to Boyle's Steady State Universe theory, the one which posits a flow of stuff through 'non observable time' and 'non observable space.' While it is on shaky ground in re other cosmology, and I guess even Boyle is not all that keen on it anymore (heck, he's cool on a lot of subjects, being dead!)

I had a visual picture of things funneling through black holes, through a pipe in some 'negative universe' or 'non space time' or 'imaginary space time' (imginary like imaginary numbers) and then being pumped back out into our spacetime at some 'place' or a series of 'places' that are not black holes. I then had a picture of some fingers being put into cosmic dykes to stop all this eruption of matter, which of course would cause black hole pipeline constipation, and then a reversal of black holes into super nova's due to matter back pressure achieving critical mass within the black holes -- even with anti matter -sh__ happens -- and then I started to reach for the caffeine since my head was starting to hurt.

Doubtless some readers are now reaching for duct tape, an aspirin, or their specs, wondering if they just read what they thought they read! Sorry for any lobal blowouts, folks, this stuff makes my brain cook off.

From Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" I infer that Boyle was either just plain wrong, or that he was out where he could not prove anything with data or more solid analysis, but I get the impression that what Hawking was getting at in his space time explanation for us laymen in "A Brief History of Time" was that the conservation of mass, if true, would preclude that process due to the boundaries of spacetime.

Do any of you smarter physics folks know of a good, for the layman, treatment of Boyle's Steady State theory, and it successor?

I am going to have to go back and read Brief History of Time yet again to refresh what I "get" from that.

Oh, and while I am at it, I don't understnad why Hawking was so disquited by "God as spectator" in his later comments. On a practical level, I don't see why that is not an option.

God

Hmmmm, let's do this and watch it unfold. This is GOOD! I know where it is headed, but I'm glad I tossed in enough uncertainty so that I can get some nice little surprises now and again. That sure beats knowing how simply everything will turn out, like with those Hydrogen atoms. Oh yeah, here's a platypus, just to make folks wonder a bit.

time passes

What's that, they invented the game of Cricket and Sims on Line? I gave them this, and they did that? What have I done?!
That after the big bang, God just kind of sat back and let things happen.

But with some of things that have been found out recently about the universe, there are many things now seeming to be possible. A recent study showed that the Universe isn't infinite (as was noted on this forum). This leads to many different implications. Things like the big bang may be a reoccuring event happening every so often or that there may in fact be multiverses like parallel universes running around (gives new meaning to the end of Men in Black I ).

There's still a lot we don't understand, but we're putting the pieces together nicely.

Occhi
Occhi

November 19th, 2003, 8:12 pm #8

"That after the big bang, God just kind of sat back and let things happen."

Given my humano-centric perspectives, my guess would be along the lines of "sat back and watched things happen, with interest," and not, per Hawking, just let things go. And being Almighty, has the self control not to tamper with stuff, at least not very often! hehe (Can of worms, opened!)

If you can be everywhere at once, you can watch it all, sort of like being in Vegas and watching 25 different games at once on 25 screens, but to the (100^100)^100 th degree. Cosmic eye strain, anyone? But NO need for that damned "clicker" AKA remote control.

pauses I wonder of The Almighty laughs at Bud Lite commercials, or if, knowing the punchline before they say it, does not get to laugh at jokes? How sad, but that further strengthens the "platypus as humor" position. Ya gotta yer laughs where you can! Funny is where you find it, per Shadow, or for The Almighty, funny is where you make it, like on planet Earth. back to Life as the Great Cosmic Joke theory.

My idea, backed up by nothing in particular, is that Dr Hawking's "sit back and watch" need not be construed as inconsistent with a "I know where it is going but I'd watch it play out while I sit here on the cosmic couch watching the infinite things happening while munching on neutron chips dipped in radio plasma, extra spicey, and washed down with magnetic field malt beverages."

Big bang, my arse, how about a Cosmic Belch?

Or maybe He manifests himself by just Being There, because He Likes To Watch. What Chaunce of that, I wonder?

To say "we" are putting the pieces together "nicely" is very much glass half full, giving the amount of bellowing and carping and finger pointing and "my esteemed colleague is maroon" along the way. However, since I am not smart enough to be one of the "We" who are putting it all together, I can appreciate my critique of the process being less than weighty. Progress is progress!

P.S. I found a couple better descriptions of what Boyle and friends were getting at, by checking a few more sites. Still want to read through Hawking again, though, I need to re digest his commentary in light of the stuff I am reading at present.

Occhi
Occhi

November 19th, 2003, 8:27 pm #9

*Gee, what a surprise.*

One of five things will happen, place your bets folks!

1. Flight to a foreign country, maybe Austria, Switzerland or Lichtenstein. Maybe the island of Bali. Maybe Mozambique. Maybe Mongolia. Some nice, quite place where folks don't mind the occasional oddball who is filthy rich. Customs, FBI, INS, and Homeland security officials fired en masse for letting him leave the country.

2. Charges are suddenly dropped, witness suddenly un-cooperative. Application of the greenback persuaders in seven or eight figures suddenly kills the DA's case.
(Occhi pushes forward a stack of nickels)

3. We hear the news of yet another celebrity who went off the deepend and was committed to a nut hatch. Recent conversations in re his father possibly feathering that nest?

4. Swan dive off of a suitably large public building in full view, The Big Exit ending in a horrific splat. Coverage by all 17 bazillion media organs, soon available all over the internet in pirated versions. Bandwidth chokes all over the country as people download. Al Jazirah announces that Osama Bin Laden was NOT behind the dive, and has a scratchy tape recording to back up their claim, one that was provided by a guy wearing a white face mask.

5. Charges, trial, and the nauseating prospect of the O.J. trial all over again, but worse. Johnny Cochrane takes the case, and by the time it is over, has milked Mr Jackson for about 1/2 his net worth. (No one said Mr cochrane was stupid!)

Yech! on all 5 choices. Can't there be a better option?

Drasca
Drasca

November 20th, 2003, 1:37 am #10

There's a thread below mentioning the game of the year edition with both expansion packs for $30. I say it at Fry's tonight.

What are impressions? Can I get playing quickly? Does it have legs?

I know there was a thread about it on the LL, but there is no LL at the moment.

-- CH
Overwhelming. Utterly. Once you do get "everything" done, you'll find out you've only just begun. If you do like RPGs, you're getting your money's worth.

I... well burned out. Too much there, and even more being created ongoing through Mods, old and new. The main hangout for mod's is www.elderscrolls.com 's mod forum.

Too much too much! It burns!

I'm serious about burning out. Way too much there. Legs... well they'll wear out your legs, so I'm not sure about that. The pacing is such that you set your own pace, but since there's everything to do and at any time-- for those who have no sense of moderation, do everything they can think of and more. Eventually your character is a demi-god in relative power to everything else, but that's easily avoidable through self-restriction. There's also difficulty slider that adjusts damage given (essentially changing the monster HP, damage necessary to defeat) and damage taken from Enemies.

Everything is mod-able, and meant to be. I find the Construction set much easier than the NwN's one actually. Very easy to change the stat values, as virtually nothing is hard-coded (such as monster life, abilities, loot).

The main complaints are that Morrowind has no Multiplayer and that "it's too easy." Well, I say to that MW is better off without MP. You can't all be the Nevarine (ok this is somewhat of a lie). Secondly, its too easy for those who Cheese.

There are plenty of abuses possible, but it is up to you whether to use them or not. Alchemy can be powerful and a live-saver in a pinch, but it can also be used as a trade. Gather ingredients, make potions, sell. NPC's can train your skills for a price, up to their own level of skill. Nice right? Up this to power-gaming cheesy abuse mindset, make xxxx money fast with Alchemy to fund trainers to level up through skill training unnaturally. There's nothing in the game really prohibiting you from doing this. All the enforcement is up to you. No outside force in-game will restrain you--only our fellow Gamers who look down on abusive practices.

It is certainly fine to use alchemy to make a little pocket money, make potions available for difficult or emergency occasions, and train skills to a use-able level (whiffing 10 times in a row before a hit is not my idea of fun-- at least for the first try). However, when that's all one's doing-- more "getting the character ready" through repetitive mundane exploit (run here, buy this, make potion, sell potion, train there) than roleplaying or adventuring. Then the question must be asked: What game are you playing? Role-playing or run-around collecting power?