gris.net update

gris.net update

Griselda
Griselda

August 1st, 2002, 9:59 pm #1

First, the big one- gris.net is now back on the P3, at 12.225.96.108. That connection has been up and stable for about 2 days now, although it remains to be seen how the computer can handle running a NWServer. I'm guessing that the 1.22 patch will reduce lag quite a bit, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for it here, so I will wait until the "official" release.

Now, on to actual module changes:

-The skeleton warrior is gone
-Dungeon encounters have been comepletely redone- no more spawning behind you (until respawn begins at 30 minutes)
-the dungeon should be easier for level one characters, but should still scale up
-custom treasure script introduces classic D1 items, uniques included
-changed lighting in dungeon; it's darker now
-added new treasure room on level one
-currently in the progress of finishing level 2

Gris's notes:
-If you haven't tried the contest in the 7moons basement yet, check it out!
-The town itslef needs "a woman's touch" I'm going to make an effort this week to spruce up the town a bit- spellchecking dialogue, spiffing up the upstairs rooms, etc.
-I'd like to make the rooms' beds useable, but I haven't found a working "lie down" script. The graphic is there from player death and knockdown, but I don't know if it's possible to get that graphic without causing the player to be dead or knocked down. Anybody know anything about this?
-The module itself will stay up for a week at a time, effective immediately, although it will be reset during weekly content updates until we get the universal mind thing figured out (and that's kinda back burner on my end right now). If it does get taken down, it will be reloaded from a save file. So, use those bulletin boards- they should stay up long enough to be read!
-Would anybody play chess if I put it on the module launcher?

Enjoy!
Griselda
Last edited by beyond on August 1st, 2002, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 1st, 2002, 10:52 pm #2

I d/l'ed that module as soon as I heard of it. Problem is finding others to play with :P

I think it'd be a great addition to 7moons, since it IS the meeting area. I haven't actually played chess in a few years, it'd be nice to see if I'm half as good as I used to be (yeah right, I think I've lost all my sense of strategy).

Come to think of it (with playing WC3 lately), I suck at strategy. My strong point is definately tactics; it takes me a long time to get strategies up to par.

Charis
Charis

August 2nd, 2002, 3:10 am #3

First, the big one- gris.net is now back on the P3, at 12.225.96.108. That connection has been up and stable for about 2 days now, although it remains to be seen how the computer can handle running a NWServer. I'm guessing that the 1.22 patch will reduce lag quite a bit, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for it here, so I will wait until the "official" release.

-Dungeon encounters have been comepletely redone- no more spawning behind you (until respawn begins at 30 minutes)
-the dungeon should be easier for level one characters, but should still scale up

Gris's notes:
-The town itslef needs "a woman's touch" I'm going to make an effort this week to spruce up the town a bit- spellchecking dialogue, spiffing up the upstairs rooms, etc.
-I'd like to make the rooms' beds useable, but I haven't found a working "lie down" script. The graphic is there from player death and knockdown, but I don't know if it's possible to get that graphic without causing the player to be dead or knocked down. Anybody know anything about this?
-The module itself will stay up for a week at a time, effective immediately, although it will be reset during weekly content updates until we get the universal mind thing figured out (and that's kinda back burner on my end right now). If it does get taken down, it will be reloaded from a save file. So, use those bulletin boards- they should stay up long enough to be read!

Enjoy!
Griselda
I went over to the Seven Moons last night. Time was short so I went striaght to the contest in the basement :P

Looked pretty spiffy! The only downside was that I got stuck in the middle. Killed the opponent but the next door would not open. Neither would the previous door, and in that specific room, there was no "get me outta here" portal! Gah! Had to quit game. I think (not sure) that it was the room after the Ogre Berzerker?
Btw, why did the monster names have '*' at the end?

Chess? I love chess :P I don't know I would take up online time to do it, but if someone around wanted a game I would indulge them with a sound thrashing :P

I thought of a (very) minor timesaving point possible for those logging on to head straight to the hub between worlds. Could place a 'well' that you slide down on 'Use' that transitioned you straight into the hub. Just a thought...

Charis

Charis
Charis

August 2nd, 2002, 3:40 am #4

Regarding the contest...

Ah... I think it's resting that made the door 'ahead' close shut. I don't recall being told that by Marcus :P

Were there supposed to be two ghoul lords? If not, be sure to set max #creatures spawned in an encounter to 1. (Hmmm, or was it a placed creature?)

Oh, and tonight, different from last time, I did get experience. (Which I think is more appropriate, anyway)
My next attempt also didn't work. On room 3 (+/- one) the monster never spawned. I tried to walk out of room and back in to try to spawn him, but then the door shut and I was in room 2 (?) with no portal escape, again, had to quit game. EVERY room needs a get-me-out portal unless you can open the 'previous' door.

And regarding the well idea, wow, there just happens to be a well right next to the world spawning point (didn't notice that when I made the well-to-hub suggestion)

Charis

August 2nd, 2002, 9:02 am #5

Yes you are right there needs to be a get me out of here portal in every room, not sure why I did every other. The doors are on a 20-30 second timer so that you cant rest. And you are right Marcus doesn't tell you that. There will be areas with multiple creatures especially further on. Experience Points I left in because, well you are practicing seems like you should get something out of it. I checked every room for spawn problems I got to the room after the Clay Golem before I died And they all worked. I will double check right now.

Changes that I will make:

1) escape portals every room.
2) additional explanation of the rules in Marcus's conversation.
3) I could add the well to the woods no problem.
4) I will examine every room to see if there are respawn issues with the monsters in the contest.

Thanks for the feedback

disc.

August 2nd, 2002, 1:06 pm #6

Gris's notes:

Enjoy!
Griselda
Ok, probably stupid user question, but how does everyone connect to Gris.net?

Local connection/game, Internet game or what? I would think it's an Internet game but apparently I am too stupid to figure out how to register for game spy, lol!

Umm, help?

Nystul
Nystul

August 2nd, 2002, 3:31 pm #7

Gamespy might be useful if you wanted to find a game and didn't know a specific game name or IP. In this case it is just a hassle.

The method I use is to choose "Multiplayer", then "Join LAN game", then "Direct Connect" (this seems very wrong since you are not playing on a LAN nor really using a direct connection, but I digress). This allows you to join a game by typing in the IP and the password. The IP is listed in Griselda's post at the top of this thread, and I assume you already know the password.

August 2nd, 2002, 7:29 pm #8

Had an error saying that the server wasn't responding so thought I did something wrong.

I tried IP 12.225.96.108. Default port, is this the problem?

Discjacker
Discjacker

August 2nd, 2002, 10:26 pm #9

I went over to the Seven Moons last night. Time was short so I went striaght to the contest in the basement :P

Looked pretty spiffy! The only downside was that I got stuck in the middle. Killed the opponent but the next door would not open. Neither would the previous door, and in that specific room, there was no "get me outta here" portal! Gah! Had to quit game. I think (not sure) that it was the room after the Ogre Berzerker?
Btw, why did the monster names have '*' at the end?

Chess? I love chess :P I don't know I would take up online time to do it, but if someone around wanted a game I would indulge them with a sound thrashing :P

I thought of a (very) minor timesaving point possible for those logging on to head straight to the hub between worlds. Could place a 'well' that you slide down on 'Use' that transitioned you straight into the hub. Just a thought...

Charis
Ok added escape exits in every room of the contest.
I have not had a chance to test respawns of creatures extensively, I have at one time ran to the Clay golem 2x in a row without problems every creature respawned, I will double check though.
Triggers for the encounter of the current room are actually two rooms back so if you lag or attempt to rest you will have to start over.
This is intentional, you can in certain areas rest before you encounter the room's creature. It's up to you to figure out which.
The contest is made to be played solo or as a group. IF you are playing as a group when you start make sure you wait for everybody to arrive before moving.
The creatures are named with an "*" so that I can quickly differentiate between the contest version and the non-contest version. The contest version each have additional scripts that the non-contest do not have.
The well near the start area will now transport you to the Lamp Post in the Wood between the worlds and vice versa.
Still have not changed Marcus's dialog to more acurately explain the rules of the contest. Look for that next monday.
I also fixed some buggy doors in level 2 of the dungeon. I believe there are some chests down there that have continuous traps on them, this is slated for change as well.
If time permits I will have level 2 and 3 done by monday each with there respective quests.(we'll see time never really seems to yield to me).

That's all I can think of please post other bugs of suggestions.

Thanks again, Discjacker

Cyrene
Cyrene

August 3rd, 2002, 2:22 am #10

this area is fun to play, thanks.

i've had some door not opening after monster killed and a couple of monster not spawning problems, but they haven't reproduced very well.

actually, i was trying to find the reproduceable problems, and got myself a bit stuck.

the north-south area of water is crossed by 3 bridges. the third bridge you cross is the one closest to the start point. the room right after crossing the 3rd bridge does not appear to have an exit portal. it has the sparkly column, but i could not find the trigger for it. this got to be an issue when the monster for this room did not spawn, and the game auto-saved while i was looking for it.

so now, both doors are locked, there is no way to portal out, and, if i exit and rejoin, the module places me BACK in the room as that is where it saved me last 8-).

i am actually enought of an oddball to think this is funny, (i once accidently trapped my self in the two-switch room in diablo 1 dlvl 16 with no mana and had to exit the game to get out) but it does kinda limit that character's actions in the 7moons until i find some kind sole to run the gauntlet to that froom and let me out 8-).

thanks again for the challenge.

--Cy