Geez....talk about jumping the gun...

Geez....talk about jumping the gun...

Lissa
Lissa

October 8th, 2003, 4:17 am #1

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... vis_recall

It's only an hour and 20 minutes since the polling stations have closed and only 16% of all precincts have reported...I hope this turns into a Dewey headline, would serve which ever report wrote this up so quick.

Van
Van

October 8th, 2003, 4:24 am #2

With 70% calling for recall, and AS leading 40% to 25%, they're probably pretty safe with the prediction.

Still, I wish in all elections there wouldn't be a running vote total, until about 90% reporting.

-V

Ashock
Ashock

October 8th, 2003, 8:32 am #3

It's only an hour and 20 minutes since the polling stations have closed and only 16% of all precincts have reported...I hope this turns into a Dewey headline, would serve which ever report wrote this up so quick.
Pretty standard practice, don't you think?

Besides, if you want an example of really jumping the gun, you should have checked out Drudge.

In any case, the deed's done. No more moron. No racist pig. Just a helping of Arnold.

I guess T4 will not be coming out any time soon.

-A

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

October 8th, 2003, 11:06 am #4

With 70% calling for recall, and AS leading 40% to 25%, they're probably pretty safe with the prediction.

Still, I wish in all elections there wouldn't be a running vote total, until about 90% reporting.

-V
Maybe once all electronic voting is implemented then having to wait long periods of time to "count the vote" will be unnecessary since the electronic system should allow rolling totals to be updated almost instantly.

Of course the hard part (I'd think) would be verifying that there is no voter fraud, but at least the folks who vote straight party line can now get in and out easier, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but oh well.

Occhi
Occhi

October 8th, 2003, 1:20 pm #5

No 24 hour reporting blackout on election day.

Let the process work, tell us who won after ALL of the votes are counted.

Freaking Media twits, and the "instant gratification populace" whose inquiring minds want to know . . . ten minutes ago.

As to the Governator . . . well, he proves two things.

1. US election politics is getting more and more about votes against than votes for.

2. He has a plurality, not a majority. So, let's see how his team building skills are, since he has no mandate from the population of California.

Silver lining to the cloud: he can't run for President since he was not born in this country. So, the Peter principle even applies to Ahnuld!

Rush
Rush

October 8th, 2003, 1:46 pm #6

It's time to hold the failed Arnold Administration accountable! What has he done for California? Time to sign the Recall Arnold Petition!

-Rush T. J.

...pass the OxyContin...

V

Ken
Ken

October 8th, 2003, 1:50 pm #7

Let's get an "independent" investigator to intimidate women from his past so that we may speculate on his Patterns of Behavior so that by extension we can cast aspersions on his character so that we have Reasonable Suspicion to investigate every detail of his life, harass everyone around him and make them all miserable! Yeah!

Ken S.

P.S. The media? Bah! Amateurs! They can't subpoena stuff or confine "material witnesses" can they? Heh heh.

V

October 8th, 2003, 2:20 pm #8

No 24 hour reporting blackout on election day.

Let the process work, tell us who won after ALL of the votes are counted.

Freaking Media twits, and the "instant gratification populace" whose inquiring minds want to know . . . ten minutes ago.

As to the Governator . . . well, he proves two things.

1. US election politics is getting more and more about votes against than votes for.

2. He has a plurality, not a majority. So, let's see how his team building skills are, since he has no mandate from the population of California.

Silver lining to the cloud: he can't run for President since he was not born in this country. So, the Peter principle even applies to Ahnuld!
Hi,

Good ideas overall, but "tell us who won after ALL of the votes are counted." is impractical given the absentee ballots. A 24 hour blackout on election results would be sufficient, IMO.

However, realistically, calling an election on partial results is no different from any other form of polling. A sample is all thats needed to make the prediction for the whole -- otherwise, a cook would have to eat the whole soup rather than just take a taste.

--Pete

Bill Clinton
Bill Clinton

October 8th, 2003, 3:16 pm #9

Let's get an "independent" investigator to intimidate women from his past so that we may speculate on his Patterns of Behavior so that by extension we can cast aspersions on his character so that we have Reasonable Suspicion to investigate every detail of his life, harass everyone around him and make them all miserable! Yeah!

Ken S.

P.S. The media? Bah! Amateurs! They can't subpoena stuff or confine "material witnesses" can they? Heh heh.

V
With having a little "fun" with women, heck I did it, and convinced quite a few sucker, er voters, that my personal life had nothing to do with my ability to do my job.

Let's not worry about any laws that could have been broken with regards to these women, heck if it was that bad they would have reported the crime immediately, not waited to be drug up by the media and those right-wing conspiracy folks who have nothing else to do but bother a poor president who's only trying to win a Nobel prize so hard that he let a known terrorist get away...

I tell yah, there's one born every minute...

W.J. Clinton

PS Don't forget my "legacy!" We can't forget to spin everything in a good light, after all it's what looks good that counts, not what's actually accomplished.

-O

Lissa
Lissa

October 8th, 2003, 3:18 pm #10

Hi,

Good ideas overall, but "tell us who won after ALL of the votes are counted." is impractical given the absentee ballots. A 24 hour blackout on election results would be sufficient, IMO.

However, realistically, calling an election on partial results is no different from any other form of polling. A sample is all thats needed to make the prediction for the whole -- otherwise, a cook would have to eat the whole soup rather than just take a taste.

--Pete
Just look at the famous picture of Truman holding up the newspaper with the headline story plastered "Dewey Wins!"

Instead of waiting till all the votes are tallied, wait till you have 75%+ of the precincts reporting and then start reporting. If it's close, say it's close, if it's clear someone is going to win, declare then. But starting to declare a winner when only 16% of the total precincts have finished counting means that things could totally turn around by the time 75% are counted.