game for a new gamer?

game for a new gamer?

Griselda
Griselda

December 2nd, 2002, 1:03 am #1

I just got an email from my sister that she has a new computer that's capable of running games. So, I'd like to get her something, but I don't know what.

She hasn't played any games before, except for the Sims. I was wondering what to get for her that would be a good game but not too overwhelming for a new gamer.

Any ideas?

FoxBat
FoxBat

December 2nd, 2002, 1:26 am #2

Diablo?

Caos2
Caos2

December 2nd, 2002, 8:15 am #3

I just got an email from my sister that she has a new computer that's capable of running games. So, I'd like to get her something, but I don't know what.

She hasn't played any games before, except for the Sims. I was wondering what to get for her that would be a good game but not too overwhelming for a new gamer.

Any ideas?
c2

December 2nd, 2002, 8:43 am #4

Diablo?
I bought a copy of Diablo for my dad a few years back, and I think she promptly "borrowed" it from him. I think she played it a little, but didn't get too into it.

The other game she's had is Civ II, but my dad bought that for her and said something like "I heard this game is educational, so I bought it for you." Needless to say, I don't think she played it.

-Griselda

Occhi
Occhi

December 2nd, 2002, 1:08 pm #5

Any ideas?
The SP campaigns are not overly challenging.

But if she don't like War Games . . . then maybe not.

Red Baron II in 3D might be a good choice . . .

What does she like?

December 2nd, 2002, 4:06 pm #6

Any ideas?
Hi,

While the games that run in "real" time are fine, for a new player they can be overwhelming. The need for a novice to rapidly apply ideas that experienced gamers have developed over years can make the game overwhelming. So, I'd recommend a turn based game such as HoMM. If you can get the classic set, HoMM 1 was easy to learn, easy to play, and the tutorial was just about enough to get one started.

--Pete

December 2nd, 2002, 5:24 pm #7

The SP campaigns are not overly challenging.

But if she don't like War Games . . . then maybe not.

Red Baron II in 3D might be a good choice . . .

What does she like?
"What does she like?"

I don't know. We're far enough apart in age and personality (I studied literature, she's studying accounting) that I couldn't really say. She knows I spend far too much of my time playing games, so naturally she assumed I'd know of a good game to get for her.

Luckily, I know lots of people with good ideas.

-Griselda

December 2nd, 2002, 11:22 pm #8

I bought a copy of Diablo for my dad a few years back, and I think she promptly "borrowed" it from him. I think she played it a little, but didn't get too into it.

The other game she's had is Civ II, but my dad bought that for her and said something like "I heard this game is educational, so I bought it for you." Needless to say, I don't think she played it.

-Griselda
...I was about to recommend Civilization. Try telling her that it's about as educational as the Sims, and to have her try it again. Although I'd point out that my viewpoint is that of an unabashed Civ II partisan (versus the highly disappointing Civ III).

-Skan

Charis
Charis

December 3rd, 2002, 12:07 am #9

Hi,

While the games that run in "real" time are fine, for a new player they can be overwhelming. The need for a novice to rapidly apply ideas that experienced gamers have developed over years can make the game overwhelming. So, I'd recommend a turn based game such as HoMM. If you can get the classic set, HoMM 1 was easy to learn, easy to play, and the tutorial was just about enough to get one started.

--Pete
Good advice from Pete - RTS is a bit advanced for the noob. And Heroes of Might and Magic is just a GREAT game. I is good, but a bit dated, II is also quite good, and IV is current, and fun even for the beginner.

Civilization 3 isn't too bad for a newb, right? As long as you don't start too early playing with folks who can rattle off the entire tech tree from memory and all the units each tech allows :P

On Chieftain difficulty with city governor on, it's not bad even for the beginner.

Charis

December 3rd, 2002, 10:43 am #10

Any ideas?
Hi,

most suggestions have been some kind of strategy game, but in my experience beginners often have problems with that (except they have played strategic board games before). What about some kind of adventure game? My sister-in-law started her gaming with the Monkey Island series - games where you follow a plotline and don't have to bother so much with controls, menus, game options etc. I think civ or starcraft can be a bit overwhelming in this regard. Unfortunately, I don't know any newer adventure games, as this is not my preferred genre.

If she's not against optimizing/micromanaging, role-playing games can be a good starting point as well, although you have to like fantasy settings for most. Planescape: Torment comes to mind, which is like a book where you can take influence on the plot, although the setting is a bit weird for some people.

-Kylearan