Explain Yourselves

Explain Yourselves

KingOfPain
KingOfPain

February 11th, 2003, 10:35 pm #1

I am not usually interested in site/forum traffic but I do take a peek once in a blue moon. Here are a couple of basic stats:

RB Site Traffic for Dec/2002
- Hits per hour - Avg=575, Max=2693

- RBCiv's traffic accounted for almost half of all RB traffic (hits)

- Top 3 Entry pages
RBCiv Home page - .90%
RBD Home page - .66%
RB Main Entrance - .14% (and up to .24% More than I'd thought)

- Top 3 LetsMakeKoPoorPoorer Bandwidth abusers
The Variant Archive
Weather Control Mod
Epics game files
Actually, the forum gfx ranked way up there until I moved them to the N54 server

Finally, the chart below shows the total traffic (page views) and pattern for the forums.
There might be a slight shift of the pattern this year - Page views for Feb. (still 17 days to the end) already double that of Jan.

Does this chart somewhat reflect your forum viewing pattern, and why?

KoP

Lissa
Lissa

February 11th, 2003, 11:37 pm #2

You may have some bandwidth stealers pointing back to your JPGs on the site. I'd move all JPGs somewhere and then put different JPGs in the pervious location and see what happens. Create a JPG that says something like: Bandwidth Stolen from Realms Beyond.

Charis
Charis

February 11th, 2003, 11:52 pm #3

It's one lvl of lameness to have a web site consisting only of stolen graphics, but it kicks the definition of lame up to a new lvl when you use 'imgs' pointing to someone else's site.

I wonder if web servers/hosts have the option of cutting off img access to .htm pages not on the same site.

My own hits are mostly to the forums, equally split between General and Civ, less frequently to NWN and Forge, and starting to keep an eye on Moo. I peek on the main sight regularly (but less often than the forums), mostly to catch 'news', and for 'reference' am mostly likely to hit the "Epics" pages.

Charis

February 12th, 2003, 12:09 am #4

I am not usually interested in site/forum traffic but I do take a peek once in a blue moon. Here are a couple of basic stats:

- Top 3 Entry pages
RBCiv Home page - .90%
RBD Home page - .66%

The Variant Archive
Weather Control Mod
Epics game files
Actually, the forum gfx ranked way up there until I moved them to the N54 server

Finally, the chart below shows the total traffic (page views) and pattern for the forums.
There might be a slight shift of the pattern this year - Page views for Feb. (still 17 days to the end) already double that of Jan.

KoP

My usual habit is to just read the forums and only rarely go through the site proper (and mostly just on the straightest path to an Epic start file). However, I'm a compulsive forum reader, I'll usually refresh or revisit the complete cycle of forums (except the Forge) several times per day just to see if anything got posted since the last time I looked at it.

Hmm...June and July were the first few months of NWN, right? Yeah, I think I posted and read the forums a lot right around then.

-CC

WarBlade
WarBlade

February 12th, 2003, 12:20 am #5

- Top 3 Entry pages
RBCiv Home page - .90%
RBD Home page - .66%

The Variant Archive
Weather Control Mod
Epics game files

KoP

The graphics are a problem for this site. With increasing connection speeds in some parts of the world comes the increasing ability to 'jazz up' pages. Meanwhile those of us who still only have dialup as a viable option find the increasing need to click the "stop" button once the text has appeared. Or wait and wait and wait, which can work for sites that warrant regular visitations whereupon they'll load from cached files.

I don't visit "realmsbeyond.net/diablo" anymore for that reason - too slow. My only RBD visits start with "network54" these days.

As previously suggested, take a hard look at the graphics. How many of those QoTM jpgs have you got stashed away for instance? I realize at only 10K, it's next to nothing, but with a high number of them and when the content is a basic sans serif font, I wonder if straight text with a little css help could have done the job almost as smartly.

That's just one case in point though. There's the sparkling sword etc etc. It all looks very pretty, but eats up the bandwidth too.

KingOfPain
KingOfPain

February 12th, 2003, 2:02 am #6

- Top 3 Entry pages
RBCiv Home page - .90%
RBD Home page - .66%

The Variant Archive
Weather Control Mod
Epics game files

KoP

Hehe, this thread took on a more serious tone than I intended it to be. My fault for having such a title and not have a smiley somewhere ;p I was only curious about the forum veiwing habit of this bunch.

What's interesting is the sharp decline in Aug 2002 and the slight jump in Sept.

Myself, at least for the pass year or 2, the chart would prolly be flat-lined with a slight decrease in the summer months because of RL work load.

KoP

Caos2
Caos2

February 12th, 2003, 1:56 pm #7

-nt-

Sirian
Sirian

February 13th, 2003, 12:27 am #8

- Top 3 Entry pages
RBCiv Home page - .90%
RBD Home page - .66%

The Variant Archive
Weather Control Mod
Epics game files

KoP

I check the main forum (this one) regularly (0-5 times/day) if there is an active thread with a philosophical bent to it. Otherwise, 0-2 times per day.

I visit the civ forum every day, usualy at least twice, maybe many times when reports are taking place.

I cycle through the RB pages only now and then, even the civ pages. Maybe once a month for the regular stuff, and about twice a week for civ. There is only so much news.

I'm currently checking the new MOO forum an absurd number of times. And while checking there, I have been checking the main and civ forums, too, and even stopped by NWN once. (Heck I even checked on the Forge forum, and yep, it's still closed!)

As for the graph... it probably matches my use almost exactly. There was a surge when the Epics opened, with lots of games going and me checking very often to be able to answer questions, offer encouragement, etc. I slowed the Epic pace down slightly around August, to allow players to play more of the games. Plus I figure around that time we had some who had initially checked it out decide they weren't interested after all, and more of a core group settle in for the long haul.

Once I actually have MOO3, and stop doing things like hanging out at the Zone playing Mah Jong tiles, or cycling through the forums every hour in desperate hope of any scrap of new postings to amuse myself, then my usage will probably return to normal.

- Sirian

February 13th, 2003, 3:21 am #9

I very much prefer the word game side of things, and play text twist over at yahoo games . I guess I'd find Mah Jong a bit more interesting if I could be bothered learning the rules .

Sirian
Sirian

February 13th, 2003, 5:19 am #10

I am more hard up for some REAL mahjong than I am for MOO. No joke. I only ever get to play with one of my oldest friends, though. He's the only other one passionate about it, and with his wife playing, we STILL need to drum up a fourth who is both willing and able. I haven't played in two years.

Mah jong is like rummy for adults: it's serious business. Anime and Mahjong, two cultural icons of the far east that are more than passions, they are obsessions.

The mah jong at the zone is a solitaire game. It's like playing "Go Fish" with the computer instead of playing championship bridge with live human opponents. Actually, it's more like playing pick up sticks. There IS some skill to playing the math of the puzzle structures (you have to avoid getting stuck) but it's like using your CD drive as a cupholder: Hey, that ain't what it was meant to be doing!

Gosh, don't get me started.

I like test twist, too. Been playing a lot of that. Some bejeweled. I tried a few others, but those are the three I like best. I also play Spades, but I've been avoiding that lest I get toooo involved and forget to emerge when MOO3 finally arrives. :P

- Sirian