Epic TwentyFour - Speed Racer - Reports and Discussion

Epic TwentyFour - Speed Racer - Reports and Discussion

March 10th, 2003, 9:30 am #1

This thread is for reports and discussion on Epic TwentyFour: Speed Racer.

I apologize for the problem with the Diplomatic Victory, in that all four civs would be eligible for the election and nobody could ever win the vote. I didn't try a vote when I playtested, and only thought to try when writing my shadow report later. My apologies; I screwed that up. At least going for space after that wouldn't take long.

Anyway, let's hear how your races went!

EDIT: Reports may be posted up until the end of Tuesday to be counted in the results. Additional reports after that time won't be officially counted, but are certainly welcome for discussion.
Last edited by T-hawk on March 11th, 2003, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speaker
Speaker

March 10th, 2003, 9:49 am #2

Can be found here: http://www.sover.net/~seideman/epic24.html

Great game. Enjoyed every second of it.

-Speaker

Speaker
Speaker

March 10th, 2003, 9:52 am #3

March 10th, 2003, 11:01 am #4

I apologize for the problem with the Diplomatic Victory, in that all four civs would be eligible for the election and nobody could ever win the vote. I didn't try a vote when I playtested, and only thought to try when writing my shadow report later. My apologies; I screwed that up. At least going for space after that wouldn't take long.

EDIT: Reports may be posted up until the end of Tuesday to be counted in the results. Additional reports after that time won't be officially counted, but are certainly welcome for discussion.
That game was done before I knew it. Read all about it here.

--------------------------
Jaxom
My Civilization page

Jabah
Jabah

March 10th, 2003, 11:21 am #5

Peacefull (!!) space victory in 560AD

report at

http://mapage.noos.fr/jb.gouesse/Epic24/Epic24_r.htm

Jabah

Sirp
Sirp

March 10th, 2003, 12:13 pm #6

My game can be found at http://www.kalikokottage.com/sirp/carthage/

-Sirp.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 10th, 2003, 12:17 pm #7

Will post full report tonight.
This very funny Game ended 630AD with a Space-victory.
Built 9 Workers and thats all on Units I had.
Thanks to T-hawk for this Game

Rowain

Rowain deWolf
Rowain deWolf

March 10th, 2003, 12:23 pm #8

March 10th, 2003, 12:52 pm #9

Hit 2 barb villages, got nothing and nothing.

Went straight for map making and contact at 90% research. Cap swapped to pyramids after first settler, Second city swapped to lighthouse after 1st settler

1790 BC—Pyramids complete and first galley complete.

1700 BC-Met France.

1350—France must have met everyone else, as they all came calling via the diplo window. I am not inclined to trade 8-).

1325. Founded my 7th and final city 8-0. One more than needed for my FP.

Here is my kingdom:

Being a complete idiot, I had forgotten that (a) I was NOT Religious (my favorite crutch in private games), and (b) swapping governments was a bad idea in the middle of a wonder push. SO here I was with Republic, all dressed up and nowhere to go 8-0. I also had a Palace nearing completion in my failed wonder city. This was going to be the Lighthouse, then Oracle, then Great Wall, then decided to try to squeak in the Hanging Gardens before it completed. I could NOT get a grasp on just how quick the tech pace was this game for planning purposes 8-0.

1050. The Great Library Completes. Now for the Monarchy Push.

1000. Good news—The Library pumps me into the next age. Bad news. Two other Civs don’t have monarchy, and even 100% research will have it come in 2 turns late. I have to sabotage my own production by scheduling a fair and turning everyone into jesters for a couple of turns.

825 BC. The Hanging Gardens complete (whew), and the French declare war on me. ??? No demands, just declared war. My galley wasn’t even in their waters—it was over pestering the Indians. BAD Fifi! I bite the bullet and drop to Anarchy to finally get into Republic and get my production cranking.

310 BC. Complete Democracy on the way to Free Artistry and the Shake. Of course, not being Religious, I can’t swap gov’s in a wonder cascade 8-). Actually, the wonder prebuild was started for Sistine, but, once again, I was terminally late on this tech pace. I had no grasp of the pace of an accelerated production game, and wound up shooting for the Shake.

170 BC. The Shake and my FP complete on the same turn. The wonder cascade this sets off completes all the wonders of this age. This game is on crack 8-0. I now have 4 wonders, and 1/3 the culture of ANY ONE of my rivals. In other words, I am sucking.

50 BC. France and Korea declare war. Again, no demands or incidents. Just, Boom! I guess they see my mighty army of 9 warriors and figure I’m easy pickings. I think I can rule out a Diplo win here 8-0. I swap to Democracy.

270 AD. The pace of the game continues to outstrip my planning. I botch the setup for ToE, and am scrambling to recover. I have to pay Ghandi my first born to get back on track for it. Grrrr. On the bright side—Ironworks!

290 AD. One turn before ToE, somebody completes Universal Suffrage and Baldy snatches it from me in the cascade. Grrrr. I resolve to get Hoover or die trying 8-0.

400 AD. I get nervous and check out Baldy’s Hoover City. Eeeeep! No wonder I’m getting my lunch handed to me. My best city is only turning 56 shields/turn right now. The saddest part is that it is crappily managed, too:

I think I’m going down for the count on this one. Oh well, I AM going to beat him to Hoover 8-). I also start zooming cities to see if anything can be done (gasp).

440 AD. Hoover completes. So does a coal plant that was a pre-build for a Hospital that I forgot to swap over. (How can I miss this with only 7 cities? Who knows). Anyway, just in case anyone wondered, if you have Hoover you can have a hydro AND a coal plant at once. They don’t both work, though 8-).

450 Ad. Other civs start the UN and Manhatten. I am NINE techs out of the modern age and getting smoked. I’m sitting on 3 turns/tech at 60% research, and cannot get it lower no matter what. Sigh.

520 AD. First UN vote. Everyone votes for themselves. Except me, who can’t. I abstain. I live to fight another day.

630 AD. Second UN vote. Exactly the same as last time. Oh, and everyone else is building the Internet while I research Flight. Sigh. Right about here it occurs to me that I am never going to get a Golden Age unless it is kicked off by a Wonder, and I am never going to get another wonder. Oops. If I had grabbed the Colossus instead of the Pyramids, then the Hanging Gardens would have done it. Alternately, I could have tried to get Adam Smith’s instead of the Shake. Oops. I usually never have to worry about this sort of thing in bloodthirsty Expansion games.

640 AD. Game lost via Space Race. Game time: 1 hour, 51 minutes 8-). Looks like Baldy got the Rocket:

This game was a hoot. I had never tried accelerated production before, and this was my second try on this small of a map. I think I’ll stick to my 4-5 hour games on Large maps for my private games, but I really enjoyed the change of pace. It was also a lot of fun to have to completely re-evaluate my tech order and city build choices based on the knowledge that military techs, wonders, and improvements were not needed.

This game also reminded me that I rarely actually beat the AI’s—I just plug along and let them beat themselves. Your typical AI bogs itself down in too much military production, stupid wars, poor military strategy, repressive governments, and poor tech choices. I guess they still had too much military production (8-0), but the format of the game, to a large degree, protected them from themselves.

Also, once I was in a serious hole, I could not fall back on the usual tactics of playing the AI’s off against each other to hose up the works while accelerating my research. Embroiling them in silly wars against each other was impossible, and, once the Civs got up a little size, it was so darn easy to peg research down to the minimum number of turns that it was impossible to out-research anyone.

Very educational 8-).

Maybe if every real country in the real world was on its own Island and couldn’t fight, I would actually have my flying car they have been promising me since the 1960’s.

--Cy

March 10th, 2003, 1:38 pm #10

Executive Summary: Space Race victory in 580 AD.

Epic 24, an enforced no-warfare (not necessarily no *war*) accelerated production scenario. Well, the obvious choice to go for will be the space victory, with AP culture is very unlikely and I think Diplo is going to be useless.

Speed will be the key here, the trick will be expanding as fast as I can with as little military as possible (perhaps a zone defense vs. barbs with NuMes?), and making contact at the earliest possible date to speed myself along the tech tree. Since everybody is on their own little island and no way to reach somebody else's, it's a pure builder's game. And while I used to tag myself as a builder-type player, it turned out that I was just a warmonger who wasn't very good at war and that building is actually the weaker part of my game.

I wrote all that before I started playing. When I did fire up the 4000 BC save, I decided to do something a little different with my city names. Instead of using the defaults, I named them after letters of the Phoenician alphabet (you will notice that they are awfully similar to the names of Greek letters, that's because for the most part the Greeks just copied the Phoenician ones and turned them sideways). In the order (and year) I founded them:

1 - Aleph (capital, 4000)
2 - Beth (FP, 3350)
3 - Gimel (2630)
4 - Daleth (2470)
5 - He (2230)
6 - Heth (2070)
7 - Yodh (1990)
8 - Kaph (1950)
9 - Lamedh (1625)

Yep, I shoehorned 9 cities into that little rock of an island. Aleph, Beth and He ended up being my biggest producers, and the northern half on the whole contributed more than the southern (esp. during the space race; Aleph, Beth, Gimel, He, and Heth each contributed at least one space part apiece), but every little bit helped.

In the early years, I expanded pretty much as quickly as possible, founding all nine of my cities by 1625, though all but the last one were up by 1950. For tech I started with a beeline to Mapmaking (pottery -> writing -> MM) then Republic (CoL, trade for Phil, Republic). I built a total of five warriors, two died to the same killer barb that came out of the northern hut, the other three plus two NuMe's were insurance for any future barbs (there were none) plus MP duty for growing cities. One of those warriors got disbanded for the 1 shield to make a building finish one turn faster and the others I kept around just to keep around. I belatedly started on the Pyramids and ended up nowhere close to getting it, but after seeing myself well behind Seoul after establishing an embassy I switched off right then to the Great Wall (only wasting 19 shields plus next turn's production), killing the potential cascade before it started and getting myself one Industrious Wonder, even if it never actually did anything (I never built walls).

France was the first civ I contacted in 1910. India was second in 1700, and Korea was three turns later in 1625. Between selling contacts and maps and tech, I worked myself up from behind on everything besides the straight route to Republic to parity, and that was about all I could ever acheive during the entire game. That three turn research was a killer, it was a rare occasion that I ever beat the AI to a tech by an entire turn (usually all four of us got to it on the same turn when I had delusions of research), and never for more than that single turn, so the best I ever acheived was parity, though I was at parity for pretty much the rest of the game.

Killing off the wonder cascade at the Great Wall helped me to build the Sistine Chapel in Aleph (started prebuilding immediately after TGW finished, maybe with a market in between). In the Middle Ages wonder cascade, the religious civ India passed over the Sistine Chapel wonder to grab both of the biggest booby prize wonders in this game: Sun Tzu's Art of War and Leonardo's workshop. I built Sistine in 610 AD, and then Smith's in 410 AD, which combined with my Great Wall set off my Golden Age. It was here that I hoped to gain ground on the AIs and bury them for good with ToE, but it wasn't meant to be because India soon after built Magellan's Voyage, when combined with the Oracle gave THEM a golden age, too. So I was just stuck at parity, again.

The Golden Age stopped in 30 AD, and I'm back to buying techs off the AIs. I tried to cut corners and get by without building coal plants in my cities, and that eventually cost me ToE by two turns to India. Gandhi picked up Flight and Combustion as his two free techs (interesting choices) and that allowed me enough time to get my Hoover prebuild straight and actually build that one in Aleph (one of only two cities of mine that could actually build it, the other being Gimel).

I build it in 330 AD, the turn after I trade into the Modern Age and one turn before the Indian city of Bangalore would have finished it. Also on this turn was the first war of the game, Korea declaring on India. Korea then signed a MPP with France and that got triggered on the same turn. But that didnt' slow the tech pace down one bit because I was soon down Computers and Fission after buying Rocketry (which was thoroughly brokered around by the time I got there). Having just finished large projects in all my best cities, I didn't have a prebuild left for the UN, I just had to do the best I could under the circumstances. I almost made it, I lost it to France by 1 turn (turns out if I swapped tiles between Aleph and Beth I could have beat France by 1 turn, not that it made much of a difference since the ballot was hopelessly deadlocked). The cascade then took out Manhattan (another dud wonder, can't build nukes), which I was using as a prebuild for Apollo.

Luckily, Space Flight was available to buy, so I grabbed it and used my UN progress to complete Apollo with room to spare, and my Manhattan city (Gimel) swapped to whatever the most expensive space widget was at the time while a few other cities started building the others that come with SF. In 450, the turn after I complete my first piece, I successfully plant spies in India and France to view the Space Race, and fail in Korea but don't get war. Soon after, the AIs start to pull away from me, their selling prices are getting too steep and the techs coming too fast (and sold or stolen around before I could even look at them so I could never get anything back from the purchase) for me to beat them to a tech or even catch up.

In 490 it came to a head; I could not afford to buy either Synthetic Fibers or Superconductor, but I did have enough cash for an "immediate" tech steal. Pretty much my entire game hinged on succeeding at this...and I did! I stole Synthetic Fibers and the game went on. From 500 through 550 I had all my cities not building parts on wealth and was mortgaging my economy left and right keeping up with the tech pace on the home stretch, prebuilding my parts with solar plants. Finally the Laser came up in 560 and I bought it from India for 1000g and 100gpt which by that time was just about all I had and all I would make (leaving me with 120g and -29 gpt due to Wall St.), but it's not like I could take that stuff with me to Alpha Centauri anyhow. The Planetary Party Lounge is now due in two. I had nine parts completed, France also had nine parts complete and were building the Party Lounge as well, India only had seven parts complete but all of the rest were in progress, I never got a spy into Korea. I had everything I needed, I just needed to hold out for two more turns...

Here's a shot from 570, only need to hold on for one more turn to survive...

And boy did I make this one close! Take a look at that.

Space Race victory in 580 AD, LESS THAN ONE TURN before France would have launched its ship. 8321 points, RBCiv-24 the Magnificent (by far the highest scoring game on my list if scenarios showed up in the HoF, I'll have to edit it in).

This game was a lot closer than it needed to be. Throughout most of the game I was just moving the units around and not thinking too far ahead, just burning through the turns as fast as I could. I drew no dotmaps, I didn't prebuild for any city improvements like factories or stock exchanges, I didn't figure things through mathemagically, I just played. It wasn't until I lost ToE that I started getting serious and made damn sure that I got to Hoover before the AI (losing Hoover would have broken me, and I was only one turn away from THAT happening, as well). I dropped the ball again on the UN, but it may have been for the best, as I was able to get Apollo and one space part finished that much sooner and I needed EVERY turn for that space race. The Space Race portion of the game was played all in one sitting, leaving me with some seriously frayed nerves and one heck of an adrenaline rush.

Great job T-Hawk for one heck of a thrill ride. :goodjob:

-CC
Last edited by Carbon_Copy on March 11th, 2003, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.