Diablo 1 variant: Mimic. Feedback requested.

Diablo 1 variant: Mimic. Feedback requested.

Anorexorcist
Anorexorcist

September 7th, 2001, 1:16 pm #1

I haven't playtested this yet, as I just though of the idea when I was supposed to be doing an English paper. And I am now posting this just before I leave for school.

Mimic

Class: Any
Tag: GOGO (of FF VI fame) or MIME

Allowed Equipment: Any*
Allowed Spells: Any*

The mimic is not allowed to play solo, ever, for (s)he’d have nobody to mimic. The mimic
will always mimic the actions of the partner that is closest to them. i.e.: If you are cooping
with a S/S Warrior, you will put on a sword and shield (or at least melee weapon and
shield) and hack away like he does. If you are with a mage spamming Chain Lightning,
you will spam Chain Lightning. Obviously the Rogue is most suited to this variant due to
her versatility. If you are unable to perform the same action as your partner then you
cannot do anything. Exception is drinking potions, you can drink a potion whenever you
like, and do not have to drink one when your partner does. You do, however, have to
stop what you are doing to cast healing if your partner does. Also, if your partner is using
mana shield, so must you if you have the spell.

Level up: Upon leveling up you must distribute your level up points the exact same way
the last person in the game to level up did. i.e.: If you are a warrior and you're playing with
a sorcerer who put all five points into magic when he leveled up five minutes ago, you
must now put all of your level up points into magic. If you are unable to do so because of
the stat caps, then allocate the points based on either the person who leveled up before
that, or what you did last level up. If both of these are impossible attempt to do a
combination of any of the above. I.E.: If the person before you put all points into vitality,
and the person before that put them all into magic, but you can only put three points into
vitality and four points into magic, then put three points into vitality and the other two into
magic. If this still fails, then you probably only have one stat left to put points into, so just
put the points there. Elixirs are not allowed, as they would change this rule from
handicap to mere annoyance.

Optional: You should, but are not required to wear the same class of armor as your
nearest partner and use the same type of weapon. However it is acceptable to use a mace
with a shield if your partner is using a sword with a shield, but only if you do not have a
sword. However you cannot use a shield when your partner is not using one. You can
use a one-handed sword if your partner is using an axe, but you must remove your shield.

Equipment: No restrictions on enchantments. You should always carry a shield, one
handed weapon, and bow. You are highly encouraged to also carry an axe and/or staff. It
is also recommended to carry at least one spare piece of armor of a different class then
your main armor. Thus, if you are cooping with an ARC you will be able to wear light
armor and a bow. Then if you end up wandering towards an EXC you can switch back to
your plate and grab an axe. Also optional is to wear stealth gear if your partner does, and
bright gear if your partner does. This can be a bit hard to do when you only have so many
inventory spaces for items.

For those interested in 3@30 runs, accompany someone else doing their 3@30 and mimic
them. If the other person is not level 30, then it does not count as a true 3@30. The
hardest part won’t be not leveling up, but finding someone doing a 3@30 who will accept
a partner. <G>

-AnorX

Charis
Charis

September 7th, 2001, 1:32 pm #2

A living Shadow Warrior

Interesting idea, should be playable. What I'm not sure is if it would get old fast. If you get a variety of partners it would not. If you get bonkbonkWarriors and zapzapMages it limits your options. And yes, you pointed out no one actually doing a 3@30 would coop it. But... once they got their dot at 30, they could re-do it (coop) while still lvl 30 :P

GL,
Charis

McFrugal
McFrugal

September 7th, 2001, 4:29 pm #3

nt!

Anorexorcist
Anorexorcist

September 7th, 2001, 4:42 pm #4

"The mimic will always mimic the actions of the partner that is closest to them."

I guess so long as you aren't in the middle of a group all standing next to each other.
In that case I guess you could just pick one of them...

-AnorX

Anorexorcist
Anorexorcist

September 7th, 2001, 4:45 pm #5

A living Shadow Warrior

Interesting idea, should be playable. What I'm not sure is if it would get old fast. If you get a variety of partners it would not. If you get bonkbonkWarriors and zapzapMages it limits your options. And yes, you pointed out no one actually doing a 3@30 would coop it. But... once they got their dot at 30, they could re-do it (coop) while still lvl 30 :P

GL,
Charis
Ok I lied. This is text.

McFrugal
McFrugal

September 7th, 2001, 7:17 pm #6

"The mimic will always mimic the actions of the partner that is closest to them."

I guess so long as you aren't in the middle of a group all standing next to each other.
In that case I guess you could just pick one of them...

-AnorX

nt!

Hammerskjold
Hammerskjold

September 7th, 2001, 11:26 pm #7

Ok I lied. This is text.
This is assuming that there are only 2 players present in the game, and both are mimics. Or can there be only one.....

Yours truly,
Duncan Mcleod.

Anorexorcist
Anorexorcist

September 8th, 2001, 4:05 am #8

Mimes don't let mimes mime other mimes. Or there must be atleast one non-mimic present.

-AnorX

Necroboycer
Necroboycer

September 10th, 2001, 11:32 am #9

nt!
Assuming D1 for 3@30 reference. 4 players cooping get less exp each, but the monsteres are easy.

Anorexorcist
Anorexorcist

September 10th, 2001, 4:49 pm #10

the first 3@30 is solo. The second is with one other person (the Mimic). Thus it can be quite difficult to finish the second before leveling up. Thus meaning that the Mimic should be doing most of the work, the other character is really only there to give him/her something to mimic.

-AnorX