D1 IM Tournament Forming

D1 IM Tournament Forming

May 17th, 2003, 11:03 am #1

(http://pub57.ezboard.com/fthedsfcommunityfrm7)

You may see some references in the text below that seem a bit confusing, but if you follow the link at the top of the post, they will become clear and you will be able to access more detailed information.

Announcing the First (as far as we know) All DSF IronMan Tournament
Sponsors: Sabra & Attika

Divisions: This will be a two division tournament featuring a special training opportunity for those players who are new to Ironman and want to get a leg up.

Two-Person Tournament: Start your game anytime in June and finish whenever.

Three-Person Tournament: beginning in June or July.

Training: No matter how well you play D1, IronMan is not like other games you’ve played. If you can commit to four hours in one or two gaming sessions, we can assign you a Mentor who will take you on a Two Person IM Romp through Church. You’ll get free tips and mentoring from players who know the score. Mentors are currently WildViking, Thenryb, SoulEdge, Attika & Sabra. (Other qualified players who are interested in mentoring, please read the Mentoring Thread and then post here to volunteer or get more details.)

Objective: Without access to townspeople, take your team from the door of the Church all the way down to Diablo without everyone on the team dying at once. Standard Mage/Warrior/Rogue team compulsory for Three Person. Rogue/Warrior pairing is suggested for two person competition, but the choice of pairings is yours.

Creating a Team: Teams form independently here (http://pub57.ezboard.com/fthedsfcommuni ... D=59.topic) and announce here (http://pub57.ezboard.com/fthedsfcommuni ... D=55.topic) stating the players/characters who will be teaming and in what division. Teams set their own match times. Playing in both divisions is acceptable.

Many thanks to our mentors for volunteering their time and especially to Jim who will be setting up our tournament tracking web site.

We hope that all will participate. It would be delighful to have some variants in contention.

See you on b.net.

Sabra & Attika

Xiuhcoatl
Xiuhcoatl

May 17th, 2003, 12:30 pm #2

...it sounds like fun.

Xi

May 18th, 2003, 5:04 pm #3

Was that one post per month on any Diablo-related forum, or one post per month per forum? If it's the former, I guess we'll see you in the fall.

-Griselda

edit- spelling
Last edited by Grizelda on May 18th, 2003, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Occhi
Occhi

May 19th, 2003, 4:21 pm #4

(http://pub57.ezboard.com/fthedsfcommunityfrm7)

You may see some references in the text below that seem a bit confusing, but if you follow the link at the top of the post, they will become clear and you will be able to access more detailed information.

Announcing the First (as far as we know) All DSF IronMan Tournament
Sponsors: Sabra & Attika

Divisions: This will be a two division tournament featuring a special training opportunity for those players who are new to Ironman and want to get a leg up.

Two-Person Tournament: Start your game anytime in June and finish whenever.

Three-Person Tournament: beginning in June or July.

Training: No matter how well you play D1, IronMan is not like other games you’ve played. If you can commit to four hours in one or two gaming sessions, we can assign you a Mentor who will take you on a Two Person IM Romp through Church. You’ll get free tips and mentoring from players who know the score. Mentors are currently WildViking, Thenryb, SoulEdge, Attika & Sabra. (Other qualified players who are interested in mentoring, please read the Mentoring Thread and then post here to volunteer or get more details.)

Objective: Without access to townspeople, take your team from the door of the Church all the way down to Diablo without everyone on the team dying at once. Standard Mage/Warrior/Rogue team compulsory for Three Person. Rogue/Warrior pairing is suggested for two person competition, but the choice of pairings is yours.

Creating a Team: Teams form independently here (http://pub57.ezboard.com/fthedsfcommuni ... D=59.topic) and announce here (http://pub57.ezboard.com/fthedsfcommuni ... D=55.topic) stating the players/characters who will be teaming and in what division. Teams set their own match times. Playing in both divisions is acceptable.

Many thanks to our mentors for volunteering their time and especially to Jim who will be setting up our tournament tracking web site.

We hope that all will participate. It would be delighful to have some variants in contention.

See you on b.net.

Sabra & Attika
I mean, I would have to reinstall diablo I and all that . . . tempting.

Which set of rules, and which options are to be played?

May 20th, 2003, 1:54 am #5

Yet another chance to exploit game bug, YAY. What do you have in mind, Occhi. 2 or 3 players?

I guess we can put up a help wanted after I have a chance to read the dsf forum.

KoP

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

May 20th, 2003, 4:02 am #6

yawn

Nice way to attempt to ridicule a position you don't agree with instead of a discussion on the issue, but after the last "you're picking on me" post over on the Civ3 forum, I can't say I am surprised.

sigh

(And yes I know better than to post this but I did it anyway. *shrug*)

May 20th, 2003, 9:35 am #7

to discuss something with a person who is clueless on the subject - You missed out - Just as your posts over at civ3, a waste of my time to go any further.

Back to playing. ;p

KoP

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

May 20th, 2003, 2:26 pm #8

I guess you'd know since our last discussion over at the Civ3 board ended with you spouting "the party line" and claiming false attacks when your stance was refuted.

Anywho, I never said I didn't play Diablo originally, just that I didn't 'live it'.

For the record, mt opinion stands; it doesn't take 'strategy' to reverse engineer a game and find every little flaw and loophole in the design and learn to min-max it and then claim you are a master at it. It DOES take skill to use what you have learned, but if you know that acting a specific way will ALWAYS result in a specific result that doesn't seem like strategy in having to adapt, but merely skill in making sure you manpiulate the game to act in a way that you can handle.

Obviously some will disagree, and that's fine, since opinions will vary.

So sorry that anyone who doesn't agree with you is a waste of time, but I guess having to come up with logical reasons or examples to prove your point is hard to do when you don't want to venture out of your 'comfy zone.' I respect what you have done with the various sites KoP, but your attempts to belittle me shows a distinct lack of, ah, starts with a 'm' and ends with 'aturity'.

Have fun with the game, oh and for what it's worth you can rest assured that you won't have to worry about me joining any of your games, since you've made it abundantly clear that anyone who disagree's isn't welcome.

May 20th, 2003, 8:36 pm #9

Yet another chance to exploit game bug, YAY. What do you have in mind, Occhi. 2 or 3 players?

I guess we can put up a help wanted after I have a chance to read the dsf forum.

KoP
Did I miss a conversation somewhere, or do you refer to my post at the DSF forum? What game bug are we talking about here? Bow of the Bear? That's a bug? I thought that was a 'feature.'

What I had in mind was to play on a three person iron man team, one each class, and I think I saw you reply that you might be able to, but skeds might be a problem. I can be Rogue, or either of the others, but given my rustiness with Warrior, my micro might suck. I could do the Sorceress, but again, my rustiness might cause fratracide. Rogue might fit my lack of currency best.

Is your bug comment about 1.07 Happy Feet? I did not do a great deal of HF, as I recall. Again, I feel like I am completely missing a conversation here. Sorry, caffeine level low.

I did not like 1.08 due to what they did to movement. I had gotten used to a certain feel for movement and archery aiming, not bug exploitation of the zig zag that made folks invulnerable. When 1.08 came out, that feel was gone. So, I put the game away, since

Fun is where I find it.

I also almost put Diablo II away the first week I had it due to how effedd up the micro was in that game vis a vis Diablo I, and problems with eye strain due to a poor gfx card and a 300 MHz AMD CPU.

Almost.

I play for fun. Without fun, I don't see the time as well spent.

May 20th, 2003, 8:49 pm #10

yawn

Nice way to attempt to ridicule a position you don't agree with instead of a discussion on the issue, but after the last "you're picking on me" post over on the Civ3 forum, I can't say I am surprised.

sigh

(And yes I know better than to post this but I did it anyway. *shrug*)
OK, I just cruised over to Civ 3 forum. Wow, busy beavers over there!

I spent my time arguing at the Lounge during that period, in a few directions at once. Looks like you guys had quite a conversation going on there.

I want to know why that conversation is being thrown into the DSF Ironman discussion here, it strikes me as . . . out of place.

Again, am I missing something here?