Occhi

October 21st, 2003, 12:47 am #2

They just don't want to hear about any more bugs

or

They want to quit spending man hours on tinkering with 1.10s

or

Someone decided that they had baited the playing community long enough

or

They decided that 1.09d is as far as they need to go.

Or, a combination of all three.

But at least we can expect Realms 1.10s around Christmas or so . . .

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

October 21st, 2003, 2:59 am #3

I hope Zeal, Fend and other "multi-attack" melee skills are fixed so they don't whiff constantly as happened before 1.09.

Ashock
Ashock

October 21st, 2003, 5:37 am #4

Personally, I'd hope for significantly more than just that.

-A

Zed
Zed

October 21st, 2003, 2:03 pm #5

Why hope for anything? If you hope for something regarding a D2 patch, you are bound to be disappointed. Keep your expectations low, and while you may not be pleasantly surprised, you can at least avoid any unpleasant let-downs.

Now, if this were regarding something other than a D2 patch...

Ashock
Ashock

October 21st, 2003, 4:08 pm #6

I don't really hope for anything, myself. My only hope for the patch, is that the game still remains playable. Anything above that is gravy. This will be a tall order, considering what I've seen in the beta.

-A

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

October 21st, 2003, 4:21 pm #7

Why hope for anything? If you hope for something regarding a D2 patch, you are bound to be disappointed. Keep your expectations low, and while you may not be pleasantly surprised, you can at least avoid any unpleasant let-downs.

Now, if this were regarding something other than a D2 patch...
Low-expectations? That's what I was aiming for when I said I hoped the skills they fixed and now have broken again that allow the melee characters to 'attempt' to keep up with the ranged characters, are fixed again.

Uber weapons - whatever
Sygenetistic skills - whatever
broken equipment - whatever

I just want my Zeal Paladin or my wife's 'Fend' using Javazon to still work as they did in 1.09 and not attack and then "whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff" as they did in the beta 1.10.

Ashock
Ashock

October 21st, 2003, 5:39 pm #8

Even if they fixed the zeal bug, that would just make the Paladin playable. The Barb will still be completely unplayable if on the ladder and therefore untwinked and if using any build except Concentrate. A Concentrate Barb is so boring, that I consider him unplayable also.

Also generally speaking, the insane number of HPs on boss packs (and regen rates) just makes the game tedious, coupled with the fact that there's so many boss packs running around. Another point that unless addressed will make the game horribly tedious.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is that unless the finished product is significantly different from the Beta, this game will be dead very soon. Mind you, I'm not counting on it, just commenting in general.

-A

Ozymandous
Ozymandous

October 22nd, 2003, 12:27 am #9

I am not meaning to say that the game will be "fixed" if they make these skills work as they did before they were broke again, I just mean that to me the game will be dead if they don't work.

Different people want different things from the patch, and since I rarely play Barb's, and never play on Battle.net anymore any other issues don't affect me as much.

I hope they fix a lot of things, but I quit really taking D2 as a "serious" game years ago and now play it for the fun my wife and I have running around the game together.

If the game is too dull or hard after the patch then we'll either go back to 1.09 or find something else to play together. At the rate this patch is being developed the "Hordes of the Underdark" expansion will be out for NWN and we can play that together.

October 22nd, 2003, 5:49 am #10

Even if they fixed the zeal bug, that would just make the Paladin playable. The Barb will still be completely unplayable if on the ladder and therefore untwinked and if using any build except Concentrate. A Concentrate Barb is so boring, that I consider him unplayable also.

Also generally speaking, the insane number of HPs on boss packs (and regen rates) just makes the game tedious, coupled with the fact that there's so many boss packs running around. Another point that unless addressed will make the game horribly tedious.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is that unless the finished product is significantly different from the Beta, this game will be dead very soon. Mind you, I'm not counting on it, just commenting in general.

-A
Actually, I liked the 1.10 patch overall, and not just becuz z0ns p0wn bArbeez.

Yes, it's a more one-on-one game (as was D1), and there are occasions when the insane number of hps of some monsters is just silly; but overall it's a more challenging and interesting game than before. You can handle monster regeneration in lots of different ways, though using at least one way in hell is essential. More boss packs is a good thing.

It was less equipment dependent than I expected, and you don't need super gear to get through the game. One serious issue is with any kind of physical damage: since they seem to have balanced the game for uber items, any kind of regular item does hopelessly inadequate amounts of damage (something that affects strafe/ms bowazons just as much as ww/barbs). On the other hand elemental/magic damage (based on skill lvls) doesn't suffer in the same way. I guess there was just no way for them to get around this given the absurd item inflation that has already occured.