Winter colour

Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

6:59 PM - Oct 13, 2003 #1

Hopefully I will have some new borders ready for planting within the next 3-4 weeks. Can anyone suggest some plants which I can plant then which will have something nice to look at (berries, foliage or even flowers) but also have value for the rest of the year?
Also, I am having some new turf laid within the next couple of weeks & wondered whether I could plant some bulbs in the soil before the turf is laid, to come up through the grass in spring.
Caroline

QuestorUK
New Seed
New Seed
QuestorUK
New Seed
New Seed

7:03 PM - Oct 13, 2003 #2

In terms of winter colour, I think you would love a Hamamelis (Witch Hazel). They have the most gorgeous spidery flowers in winter, and it's nice to look at throughout the year too

BryonyUK
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
BryonyUK
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

9:43 PM - Oct 13, 2003 #3

Nigella
How about a nice mahonia - sprays of yellow flowers in winter followed by blueish berries. It's got great architectural leaves too. Also, winter-flowering jasmine, viburnum tinus and skimmia.
It's not too late to plant bulbs for the Spring - well, a bit late for daffs, but you'll probably get away with it. You could try narcissus and crocus under your turf.
Love
Bryony

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

7:34 AM - Oct 14, 2003 #4

How's about fatsia japonica (fake castor oil)? It's tough as old boots, has exotic looking architectural foliage, and interesting looking white "pom poms" of flowers in the winter.
Pyracantha's a good one too - white blossom around June and orange berries through the winter. Very thorny though. Looks great with climbers growing through it.
Berberis thunbergii Harlequin is an interesting shrub too. It has dark red foliage which becomes splotched with pink (looks like it's been painted) at this time of year.
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

PaulineM
Established Tree
Established Tree
PaulineM
Established Tree
Established Tree

11:58 AM - Oct 14, 2003 #5

Surprised no-one's mentioned Dogwood for its brightly-coloured winter stems. The variegated ones are lovely in summer too. And I have seen Scilla looking absolutely lovely naturalised in a lawn.

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

7:40 PM - Oct 14, 2003 #6

Then there is the Hebes & Eunonymous
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

9:38 PM - Oct 14, 2003 #7

Thanks for those ideas- I know I could look in a book, but it's always nicer to find out what you all like best!
I must say, one of the nice things about being at college is the beautiful grounds & being able to see what plants look good when. The trees on campus are wonderful colours just now- I heard on the radio that it's a particularly colourful autumn this year & they were right!

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

9:58 PM - Oct 14, 2003 #8

On a smaller scale, and for almost instant colour(and some perfume) what about a few groups of dwarf wallflowers.
Bought some recently, about 8' high and they are just starting to flower. Its dark now, but will see if I can find label tomorrow for variety.
Paulene

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

1:27 PM - Oct 15, 2003 #9

Got it. Wallflower "Aida". label says....
Greatly valued for colour in spring and autumn, 4 shades of flower, Carmine-Rose - Cream-Primrose - Golden-Yellow and Scarlet-Bronze.
A unique highly perfumed flower,plant 10" apart in well drained soil and full sun. Height 6-8 inches.

Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Nigella
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

6:25 PM - Oct 15, 2003 #10

Sounds good, Paulene, thanks.
Caroline

lilylover
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
lilylover
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

7:00 PM - Oct 15, 2003 #11

Monty was planting on GW last week and put in an Abelia which according to the text is semi evergreen,glossy foliage and fragrant pinkish flowers from mid summer to mid autumn.
I liked the look of it anyway