Will this prune?

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

June 1st, 2018, 8:20 am #1

I'm not sure whether we inherited this hebe or whether we put it in but it has been around for 18 years or longer. At one stage it stopped flowering so I gave it a strong talking to and it bucked up its ideas. It's still flowering OK but had got rather leggy. I'd like to cut it back but there's not a lot of growth lower down so am wondering whether it will ruin it and whether we need to bight the bullet and remove it.

Any ideas, what would you do?

DSCN7328.JPG

Foxcub
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
Foxcub
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

June 1st, 2018, 10:50 am #2

Ideally Hebes are better pruned after flowering but they are tough shrubs and don't think you'll encounter any problems if you hard prune it now.  
TESS

She who plants a garden plants happiness

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

June 2nd, 2018, 7:25 am #3

Thanks Tess. I think it needs to be loved a bit, we tend to ignore it while concentrating on the weeds.

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

June 2nd, 2018, 10:08 am #4

CA, your Hebe is almost asking you to prune it.
If you look fairly low down you will see lots of new growth, you can prune back the new growth with no problem, othewise you can prune below the old flowers.
Most Hebe respond well to hard pruning, but there are one or two that don't like it. If in doubt you can always take cuttings from the growth you are cutting off, they root fairly easil, so you are covering yourself both ways.
I did post an answer yesterday but like so many othere it seems to have vanished into the dark blue yonder

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

June 2nd, 2018, 4:47 pm #5

The next time I have the energy it's going to have a haircut - at the moment I'm shattered having dead-headed a lilac which didn't want to be dead-headed and did its utmost to get in my way! Once or twice it got its own back. Soon I'll be at its suckers which want to create a mini wood!

Thanks for the advice.