Saph5
Established Tree
Established Tree
Saph5
Established Tree
Established Tree

10:25 AM - Sep 07, 2003 #1

Where do I put this.
Most of you will know by now I have a new pond.
I've tried to do everything by the book, filled it with plants and let the pond wildlife build up, tested the water.
I then bought some goldfish, the 3 tenors. They have been doing fine, so I decided to go for some more, I was told to build up the fish population slowly. I bought 4 jumbo red and white goldfish.
Now my problems have started.
The pond doesn't have filters, just a pump and a waterfall. The water was clear and was looking good. The morning after the new arrivals went in, it looked like a muddy brown mess. I haven't seen the new fish at all since, because the water is so cloudy, although I've caught a glimpse of the 3 tenors.
Is this normal?
Will it get better?
Does anyone know why this has happened?
I've wondered if the fish are rooting about in the silt and if they will calm down.
Oh, one last thing, the 'Lucifer' Cannas I bought for the pond came into bud last week. I was so excited about them flowering, after seeing undergardeners picture of his. Guess what? The flower opened and it was plain yellow, I wasn't well pleased.

PaulineM
Established Tree
Established Tree
PaulineM
Established Tree
Established Tree

11:06 AM - Sep 07, 2003 #2

Hi Saph
I'd say yes, they have been rooting around in the silt (to say nothing of trying to eat their way though your plants), and yes, they and the water will settle down, and yes, it is normal for newly-introduced fish to vanish. And it can be quite some time before they become tame - you might well not see them until next summer!
Personally I haven't seen scale nor fin of Sushi the Shubunkin since a day or so after she arrived. I'm seriously beginning to wonder if she jumped out - but we shall see, most likely when the pond heater goes in, as I doubt any fish can resist the lure of a bit of warm water in the winter.
Keep feeding them as long as they're interested - it makes them tame and the new arrivals might get the idea from the tenors that food is to be found on the surface rather than under it! But scoop out any food they don't eat in a few minutes before it has chance to sink. It's easier if you use the pelleted food rather than the flakes.
Good luck!

12:36 PM - Sep 07, 2003 #3

Aw Saph, it will settle down as Pauline says.
It's been a long time since we had a pond but the story is the same.
Louisa

If at first you don't succeed ~ destroy all evidence that you tried.

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

3:11 PM - Sep 07, 2003 #4

How many gallons is your pond ? Goldfish need 20 gals. of water each in a pond setting.
In an aquarium , they do fine with 10 .Theresa
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

5:16 PM - Sep 07, 2003 #5

Think its more like a swimming pool than a pond wanna

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

5:28 PM - Sep 07, 2003 #6

WOW !!!!
They should do just fine . Theresa
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.