What was the name of that fungicide ?

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

10:39 PM - Feb 29, 2004 #1

Paulene ,Peter - you both told me once and I had it written down but God only knows where as I can't find it in my notebook now.
That fungicide that is used to apply to your pots prior to sowing your seeds in order to prevent damping off ?
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

10:56 PM - Feb 29, 2004 #2

Copper sulphide

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

11:36 PM - Feb 29, 2004 #3

Cheshunt Compound, be careful tho, as it takes your breath away, when you open the lid.
Water any pots you are planting seeds in, and again when you prick out.
Pegs

DeeDee571
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
DeeDee571
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

1:30 AM - Mar 01, 2004 #4

I think you mean copper sulphate Flower, copper sulphide is not available or of any use in the garden

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

3:58 AM - Mar 01, 2004 #5

I wonder if I can find it here .
I've looked at Lowe's today as well as Walmart and nothing in their fungicide department .
Best they had was stuff to use after the plants were grown to prevent black spot , mildew , rust and the like.
I've read that you can "bake" the soil - literally in an oven prior to use and it will work as well as placing it in a plastic freezer bag and microwaving it .
If I can't find the Cheshunt Compound, would this be the best alternative route to take ?
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

7:56 AM - Mar 01, 2004 #6

Would we be allowed to send some to you if you can't get it I wonder Theresa? You only use a little bit at a time so it will last a fairly long while. I'm on the third year with my little tin now and it's still over half full.

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

2:13 PM - Mar 01, 2004 #7

Salli, I don't know - if it is a banned chemical , not sure with all that has gone on I would try it .
What's the main ingredient listed on the back ?
Perhaps I can find it at Southern States - it is an agricultural store and animal feed supply for the farmers. I didn't think to look there yesterday but it stands to reason they would carry something to prevent damping off .
I'll look there sometime this week .

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

2:27 PM - Mar 01, 2004 #8

Wanna
Got the little tin here...it says on the front...
Bio Cheshunt Compound .. contains 83% w/w Ammonium Carbonate and 15% w/w Copper Sulphate
they have a web site, havent looked its www.bio-garden.co.uk
Pegs

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

2:36 PM - Mar 01, 2004 #9

Pegs I bet they have it at Southern States .
I bet it is a regulated chemical . If I'm correct , the Ammonium Carbonate is why it wasn't found at Walmart or Lowes - I believe that is what the farmers have been having a problem with people stealing from their tanks to use in making an illegal form of methamphetamine.
I should be able to get no more than what I need from Southern States with a picture ID and my signature stating the purpose that I need it for.
No,Salli , we wouldn't be able to ship that in as potpourri
And I think to be on the safe side , I'll do my dipping outdoors - I've heard that is some potent stuff .
I've seen when they do their drug busts on Cops, they use a Hazardous Chemical unit to do the clean up.
So funny to see these dope dealers get scrubbed down in cold showers in the middle of the street -and I mean scrubbed!

DeeDee571
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
DeeDee571
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

2:47 PM - Mar 01, 2004 #10

Hi Wanna,
I've been doing a bit of delving for you. Apparently in the US there is a product called Captan that will do the job. Prevention is always better than cure though and the best prevention is cleanliness! Use a sterile growing medium,preferably one containing milled sphagnum moss,as it naturally inhibits damping-off. Soilless mixes such as milled sphagnum / vermiculite are best. Planting containers should be new or thoroughly cleaned if reused ,wash with hot soapy water and rinse with a solution of 1 part chlorine bleach to 10 parts water.
Avoid overcrowding of seedlings and overwatering ,a small fan in the seed-starting area to circulate the air is useful. Any stress which weakens seedlings , poor light, high temperatures, or improper watering makes them more susceptible .
Sometimes though just a change in the weather can trigger it and I have found that a weak brew of camomile tea works very well - sounds just as daft as the milk treatment for mildew but it does work.

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

3:00 PM - Mar 01, 2004 #11

DeeDee, most of my seed trays last year got knocked over by the kids before I had a chance to get many of them up.
The hollyhocks were the only ones that survived .I didn't see any damping off - but
the lowlight conditions
With my starting them in the house , of course the lighting is not going to be the same as sun .I have a professional growing mix I am using - no fertilizers just a good blend of composted forest products, spaghnum peat moss, perlite , and limestone.I had thought to add a bit of sand to it just for added aeration and drainage.
I do sterilize my pots .
But as you also said , a prevention is always better than the cure .
I will look for Captan at Southern States - I know it wasn't at Lowe and Walmart .
Just to be on the safe side.

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

10:24 PM - Mar 01, 2004 #12

sorry

11:49 PM - Mar 01, 2004 #13

Don't take offence Flower - Its just that in another country it does help to ask for the correct chemical, expecially when brand names of propriatary brands differ.
The terms in the states are sometimes different from here, remember the Jasper Carrot rubber sketch?

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

3:09 AM - Mar 02, 2004 #14

Heck ,Flower , you did better than I would have - at least you remembered most of the letters
I'd have done good to get the first 2 !

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

9:38 AM - Mar 02, 2004 #15

Sorry was having a touchy day yesterday i do apoligise

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

1:06 PM - Mar 02, 2004 #16

Dawn - we love you
Hope today is better for you .