What do I do with biennials?

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

1:22 PM - May 17, 2003 #1

- I know next to nothing about biennials. I have some wallflowers and forget-me-nots which have all but finished flowering and I need their space for other plants.
What do I do with the wallflowers and forget-me-nots? Chuck them out, cut them back, or move them somewhere else to keep?
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

2:31 PM - May 17, 2003 #2

Hello Salli,
Regarding Myosotis (forget-me-nots) these can be discarded as they are grown from seed annually. The same applies to the bedding Chieranthus syn Erysimum (wallflowers) although they are in fact perennials but we normally grow them as biennials sowing afresh each year. They may be cut back to form a bushy plant and if they overwinter satisfactorily will be quite showy in spring, but usually space is required for summer bedding.

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

3:16 PM - May 17, 2003 #3

Salli, I always gave the forget me nots a good shake as I pulled them out.....get a few seeds there for next year or year after, lol. But then I'm tight hahahaha

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

4:34 PM - May 17, 2003 #4

Salli,
Be careful with the wallflowers they can cause probs with clubroot i never plant them in the same place the next year.
I sow my wallflowers in the seed bed now and plant them out about October for a nice show the following year same with canterbury bells. I compost all my biannuals and start again a fresh.
Dawn xxxxxxxxxxxx

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

5:41 PM - May 17, 2003 #5

Thank you all.
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

rainbow
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
rainbow
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

8:53 AM - May 18, 2003 #6

Sal - I follow Paulene's technique of a good shake as I pull forget-me-nots out - you will have to leave one or two plants in until they get to the tatty stage and the seeds have set but you will never have to buy another packet of seeds. You will also find that they travel about the garden quite a bit