Vine weevil

BunnyNo2
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
BunnyNo2
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

4:22 PM - Dec 09, 2003 #1

I investigated a pot of primroses today that were looking very sad & unsurprisingly, I found some grubs.
Normally I would just throw the whole lot away, but I have daffs in the same pot.
So the question is this. After taking all the primroses out, will the weevils eat the daff roots or die or what?
And, if they will eat the daff roots, can I use Provado now that the bees have gone off for the winter or will it still hurt the bees come the spring?

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

5:23 PM - Dec 09, 2003 #2

I don't see where the 'bees' come into it Bunny????
What form is your 'Provado' in liquid, solid? I have never used the stuff so don't know.
Once I know this then I might be able to offer advice.
The reason for my asking is; the only form of Provado I know is already in the compost.
Do you have it as an additive?

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

7:24 PM - Dec 09, 2003 #3

I remember talking about this in the summer. Provado states on its packaging that its harmful to bees. I think thats what Bunny is ref to.

trevor211
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
trevor211
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

10:38 PM - Dec 09, 2003 #4

Bunny
Yes mix up your Provado and water it in.
Don't put any more plants in the tub. When the daffs have finished flowering, bin all the old compost and start with new compost next year.
Trevor

undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

11:32 PM - Dec 09, 2003 #5

How tall are the daffs above ground, if only an inch or so I think I would get rid of the old soil and repot in new. Don't forget to the grubs b4 getting rid of old compost.

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

11:57 AM - Dec 10, 2003 #6

It would appear that Provado can be applied as a liquid so I go along with Trevor this time.
As far as moving the bulbs into new compost is concerned I thought of this! but only if the Provado was compost based.
The risk of damaging roots at this stage might be too much, i.e. checking the growth cycle and ultimately the flowering this year and next.
I agree with the though, can never be too careful when these blighters are around.
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

fenhe
Seedling
Seedling
fenhe
Seedling
Seedling

7:23 PM - Dec 10, 2003 #7

There is a natural preditor that will hunt out you vine weevils and won't do any harm to your bees,and it works .I am not sure of the name but maybe you could order it from a good Garden centre ,The chance's are that you probably will find more in other pots,its a bad pest once it gets a hold,I know nurserymen who grow acres of plants and they are using this preditor because they find it better.the preditor will hunt out the vineweevil,where a lot of chemicals only work if they actually come in contact with the weevil,which can be difficult if the weevil is berried into roots at base of plant
regard s
fenhe

8:56 PM - Dec 12, 2003 #8

The use of nematodes in the soil is a good idea to kill off vine weevil they are non hazardous to pets and humans and work by colonising grubs destroying them and moveing on they are not very mobile and likely to be killed off by severe cold and the pot drying out. They are comonly available by mail order I know of a supplier but do not know the regulations of posting
company names on here.?
Regards Richard

pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

8:39 AM - Dec 13, 2003 #9

Yes - company names and links to websites are welcome here Richard. Anything that is going to help us poor gardeners to be a bit more successful

9:34 AM - Dec 13, 2003 #10

Scarletts plant care sell a wide range of biological controlls for the home gardener contact details , see the web site at www.scarletts.co.uk just type it into the browser and the site will load, with information on bio controll and contact details
Regards Richard

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

9:40 AM - Dec 13, 2003 #11

This is another one I've used Bun - haven't tried their vine weevil control but used slug/snail nematodes with great success this year. Quick and reliable delivery too.
Green Gardener

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

12:32 PM - Dec 13, 2003 #12

I used nematodes in Oct because I had a big problem with Vine weevil. Not sure if they have worked or not but if I remember correctly, they have to be used at certain times of the year because if the temp falls below a specific rate it kills them off. I am sure the manufactor suggests Oct and then again in March.

fenhe
Seedling
Seedling
fenhe
Seedling
Seedling

12:51 AM - Dec 16, 2003 #13

There is a new nematode out now that works at very low temperatures,I think it will work down to a temp of 5c so it probably would work in a greenhouse,most of year ,I also tried the slug nematode and found it to very useful and will certainly be using it again next year
Fen he

BunnyNo2
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
BunnyNo2
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

6:36 PM - Dec 16, 2003 #14

Thanks guys.
I have done the offending pots with Provado, currently 20% off at B&Q, & am eagerly awaiting a rapid improvement!

jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

8:20 PM - Dec 16, 2003 #15

bun,
Not as satisfying as squishing the wee b*ggers tho

Good luck - they are a PEST!!!!! 'Orrible wee beasties
jo