Under tree planting

MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

4:58 PM - Jan 22, 2003 #1

I did bring this up in chat recently and was given answers which I jotted down and now can't find so once again I will ask the same question and hopefully will get the same answers plus some more of course.
If you look at my garden pictures ( under meet the members ) ..the front garden alternative view you can see I have a birch tree in my side garden. I would love to get rid of some more of the grass under the tree and a shrubbery area appeals to me. I have been told that as the tree is well established that to dig away some of the roots to plant shrubs would not harm it . What I need to know is what can I plant under a tree that will spread and give cover to my birds and wildlife .....and the quicker it grows the better......... would also appreciate flowers as well .

Jo M
Seedling
Seedling
Jo M
Seedling
Seedling

6:39 PM - Jan 22, 2003 #2

Mac,
Give us a clue, please???
evergreen? herbaceous?? Tall?? short?? spreading??
got a nice little campanula here that might do, but it dies back in the winter. It's the pink one that was featured on 'guess the plant (???) a while ago.
hebes?? vinca?? loads of Leycesterias! red hot pokers?? astrantias??? can't remember what else is out there just now Mac, but will have a look & let you know?
jo

8:22 PM - Jan 22, 2003 #3

I mentioned that you could cut back the lower branches and then maybe plant some little lilacs

MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
MacT1
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

3:01 AM - Jan 23, 2003 #4

Well jo thinking of shrubs .evergreen as well as deciduous and plants as well . Trevor ...yes that is what I had in mind .....the tree does need its lower branches removed and holly for one does appeal to me. Maybe I could transplant my spirea from elsewhere in the garden but maybe the tree roots wouldn't give me enough room....might be better putting in a smaller one I have growing in a pot ......they grow quick anyway. I want things will all year round interest .........have been having a look at my garden and it hasn't enough winter colour ....well it did have until the thrushes and fieldfares ate all the berries off my bushes and trees

PaulineM
Established Tree
Established Tree
PaulineM
Established Tree
Established Tree

10:05 AM - Jan 23, 2003 #5

I've seen Mahonia self-seed under Leylandii hedges, so it should sure grow under a tree. And it's really pretty. I have a large-leaved Euonymus in deep, dry shade under a Cypress too. And Rose of Sharon will grow anywhere but, unfortunately, also invade everywhere!

tracey auburn
Seedling
Seedling

11:56 AM - Jan 23, 2003 #6

did you see last weeks, flying gardener, chris planted up a winter boarder that looked lovely,he used coloured dogwoods, hellebores, snowdrops, a red phormium,and some other shrubs,that someone else here may remember.

pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
pipnsox
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

12:22 PM - Jan 23, 2003 #7

Yes it really looked good didn't it Tracey. I was seriously impressed