Tuberous Begonias

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

February 27th, 2004, 9:22 pm #1

I've just taken delivery of 30 begonia tubers - the instructions say to start them off in a shallow tray until they start sprouting and then transplant them into their growing positions. I was wondering why I couldn't just plant them straight into their pots and save the risk of me killing them by moving them around. The only advantage I can see is that they won't take up as much space in the greenhouse - which is getting a bit crowded already!! Anyone any other thoughts please?

February 27th, 2004, 9:26 pm #2

If you have space start them in pots so long as they are frost free they will do fine although a min of 10 degrees c will be better , warmer by day with the suns help
Regards Richard

undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
undergardener
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

February 27th, 2004, 10:58 pm #3

Another greenhouse?........sorry Christine.
Glad to hear you are having the same problems as most of us have. If we had a 60ft tunnel, I bet we would fill that too.

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

February 28th, 2004, 12:28 pm #4

As I see it Christine the key is in the instructions.... then transplant them into their growing positions.
I think what is meant by this that they are going to be transplanted into a bed, which at this time of the year would be too cold.
So there is no reason why you can't miss out this step if you were planning to grow them in pots.
Regarding the space they take up......you could put them in 3" (70mm) cells or pots initially, and these will fit into two standard trays thus saving you space for now.
Later on in the year you could pot them up into their final 5"/6" (125/150mm) pots.
Hope this idea helps you with your space problem.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

February 28th, 2004, 5:12 pm #5

I think the only thing to help with my space problem is elastic sides to the greenhouse. But thanks everyone for your advice - I'll go and have a look at what I've got available that's suitable.
Does everyone else have the same problem as me - I've loads of pots and trays etc but never the size I actually need? I've also learnt that one can't rely on memory when it comes to what's what - I've got a lovely set of 12 plants growing beautifully . . . but can't remember what they are . . . OH says we've grown them from our seed . . . it still doesn't help . . . never mind, it will be a lovely surprise . . . I hope!!

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

February 28th, 2004, 5:28 pm #6

Methinks you need to start using Grow It! CA

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

February 28th, 2004, 5:32 pm #7

I did think about that Salli - but what makes you think that I'm organised enough to bring the info into the computer room from the garage/greenhouse? I also have problems tracking down seedlings when only some of them have been pricked out - one label but two different sets of seedlings - and there's never a blank label and pen handy!!!

moth01
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
moth01
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

February 28th, 2004, 5:51 pm #8

I know the feeling christine I can never find a pen and I am allways buying them ( Mr nobody must take them away)
from Moth

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

February 28th, 2004, 9:25 pm #9

And i have a question on them to can you take cuttings from them like you can dahlia tubers ???

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

February 29th, 2004, 10:11 am #10

bump for the experts

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

February 29th, 2004, 12:09 pm #11

And i have a question on them to can you take cuttings from them like you can dahlia tubers ???
Yes! and you can also divide them.
When doing this, ensure that there is a bud on each section as you cut the tuber, and plant up the divisions as normal.
Take 3"-4" basal cuttings, preferably with a small sectionof the tuber (heel). Place them in a 50-50 mix of peat and sharp sand and root at 18-21C (65-70F).
Pot on into 3" (70mm) pots when rooted. Then further pot on as required.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree
Flowerofshona
Established Tree
Established Tree

March 1st, 2004, 11:21 am #12

Thanks Scotia i wondered if i could now i know ta