Transplanting small Magnolia Satisfaction (leafed)

Kotsos_Garden
Seedling
Seedling

3:12 PM - Jun 08, 2018 #1

Hello everyone,

New to gardening here and one of the first plants to arrive is a small Magnolia Satisfaction. It arrived with a label to not transplant before its well leafed since spring was late this year. 

I think there is a lot of mulch all around its pot,i cant see any soil near the surface. Kept if fairly watered so its always moist to the touch. I am planning to transplant it soon.

Should i transplant in ericaceous soil and add a specific slow release fertiliser?

Which of the attached pots would be better for its size you think? ( the black pots are 35L)

Can i transplant it now or should i wait for more leaves to pop or wait until September?

Any advise or other tips are welcome thank you very much,
Kotsos
IMG_6193.JPG
E411BC54-45B2-4E7F-91C1-1BEEB8EAF05B.jpeg
BE20083F-DE80-415E-8D9C-ED4253C2498B.jpeg
IMG_6193.JPG E411BC54-45B2-4E7F-91C1-1BEEB8EAF05B.jpeg BE20083F-DE80-415E-8D9C-ED4253C2498B.jpeg

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

5:54 PM - Jun 08, 2018 #2

Just posted a reply
 and lost it, need to try again tomorrow

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

8:40 PM - Jun 08, 2018 #3

Hi and 
welcome.gif
What a lovely variety to choose. I presume you want to repot it into another container. I don't like to offer advice that might be against the provider so it is your choice as to what you want to do. Despite a carp spring, most magnolias have now flowered. You don't need an ericaceous compost, just John Innes number three or the equivalent. Magnolias don't like moving often so this should be your last move. Turn the pot over and see if roots are starting to show through the holes. If they are you need to repot now. Can you tell me
 the diameter of the containers with handles ?The second question is, do you know if it is a graft?  I know this isn't a straight answer.Get back to us with question and answers. Taffy may be along soon and may have different advice

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

4:32 PM - Jun 09, 2018 #4

Well looking at the pic it seems to be in need of feeding first of all. I'd have thought it could go another year in that pot, but if you do re pot then as Kitty said a good loam based compost and add a slow release fertilizer to the compost, http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-slow- ... ilizer.htm. I'd use a general feed, a high nitrogen feed will make the new growth to soft. You could also add a water retaining polymer to help retaining water.
You can get a mix of feed and polymer https://www.gardendirect.co.uk/garden-c ... er-gel-mix  Wilkinsons used to sell it as well and you may find something in garden centres,
I'd go for the smaller pot size though I don't like the small bottom to it. a wider base makes it more stable in high wind.
Whilst Magnolias don't like being transplanted, they don't suffer when re potted. It was always the advice that you don't over pot a plant so just an inch or two extra all round the root-ball.
I'd soak the existing pot for a few minutes before re potting then water afterwards to settle the compost around the rootball.

Kotsos_Garden
Seedling
Seedling

12:36 PM - Jun 10, 2018 #5

Hello Kitty and Taffy,

Nice to be here ^_^ ,thank you both for your replies.  

Kitty It should be a grafted one I think yes, i would trust both of you with blind eyes over my provider.....being new gardener and excited i didnt check trustpilot/reviews before it was too late but anyway thats a conversation for another time and place heheheheh. lesson learned. The  roots seem not to have reached the bottom of the pot yet but its very near i think. The black handles ones are 35L 39cm diameter top 31 bottom. I have attached photos of some different pot possibilities. So is ericaceous soil not suitable for this magnolia variety to your experience or a multi purposes enriched compost will do better? (i ask because i have read they like the soil slightly acidic)

Taffy thank you for your advise and links to the slow release fertiliser, will definitely get one with the gel. You are right about a more solid pot to withstand winds and that the black is possibly too large for the current magnolia size. I was thinking to pick that just so it could stay there forever but I shall follow the advise to not over pot it it...I have attached some possible pots i have (including the one of my bolted ornamental cabbage on the right since it will be removed)

Possibly i will do that this week when i have the slow release fertiliser with the gel for moisture. :D 
Taffy meanwhile would you advise i feed her with liquid all purpose feed (applied away from the shaft) or do i risk overfertilising?
551CC29F-C4BE-4541-B7A6-431E0E50ABB5.jpeg
E2216808-365C-4BE2-A9B6-C3D57D592D8E.jpeg

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

2:01 PM - Jun 10, 2018 #6

By the looks of it no hurry to repot.
As for feeding then a liquid feed every couple of weeks will be OK, no problem if the stem gets wet with the feed as it won't hurt it as it is ripe wood.
That square container looks good, just make sure it has drainage holes in the bottom. sometimes they need to be knocked out,

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

1:48 AM - Jun 11, 2018 #7

I'm with Taffy, BTW looks like you have some wild geum growing there. If it was me I'd get rid of it before it seeds. I find it quite invasive given a chance.

Kotsos_Garden
Seedling
Seedling

8:33 AM - Jul 10, 2018 #8

Hellooo, i will keep updating the post as the magnolia grow as it might help more people (again thank you both for your previous advise)! :D

I have transplanted it about a month ago in the square pot and it still thrives with leaves since, it didnt seem to get affected negatively by the process at all, perhaps the complete opposite.
I have soaked it for one hour or less in a pot full of water after i took it off the old pot. 
I water it daily (because of the heat) and i apply liquid feed every two weeks.

And i have also added the gel beads during the process and slow release fertiliser, now i will need to top up the mulch on top soon. I have read that pine mulch would be good for magnolias, would you advise a specific type of wood/ type?