Them caterpillar things are just multiplying - cant get rid!

greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

7:16 PM - Oct 21, 2003 #1

A few weeks ago I mention having caterpillar things in my garden. They start off enclosed in a leaf which has kind of been stuck together with white webby/fluffy stuff. They are generally small when at this stage but appear to grow fairly large. Green in colour. Several people stated they had also found them in their garden. Thing is I just cant get rid and they appear to be eating all the leaves on my plants. The pesticide I have does not kill them. Any suggestions on what they could be (obviously some form of moth although I never see any flying around). More to the point how can I loose them. I have had nothing but trouble with pest this year. Perhaps the cold will eventually sort them out. Well fed up!!

jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

8:16 PM - Oct 21, 2003 #2

Can you post a pic, GG ?
I don't bother this late in the season - the frost last night seems to have cleared my sprouts of assorted bugs!
it's been a good year for bugs............you're talking to an expert weevil er here
jo

greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

5:35 PM - Oct 22, 2003 #3

Jo
Dont mention weeeevill!! I had those too. I bought some of those microbugs that you water into the soil. They seem to have done the trick so far.....fingers crossed.

lilylover
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
lilylover
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

6:48 PM - Oct 22, 2003 #4

Garry ..if when you open up the gummed up leaf do you find a little green caterpillar about 1/2in long? I am overrun with these things even finding them on houseplants . I'm still looking to try and find out what they are.

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

7:38 PM - Oct 22, 2003 #5

Lily, they are exactly what I have found on a bunch of plants I have behind my greenhouse, waiting for a friend to pick up at xmas.
Will look back and se
e if anyone identifies them
Paulene

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

12:39 PM - Oct 23, 2003 #6

Do they look like this Pauline?

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
PauleneS
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

3:22 PM - Oct 23, 2003 #7

No Scotia, the ones that wrap themselves up in my leaves are slimmer and longer. pale lime green, and quite a quick wriggler.
At a guess I would size them around 1 to 1 and half cms, and about 2/3 mm across, the head is a paler colour.
Paulene

greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

4:31 PM - Oct 23, 2003 #8

lillylover and Pauline
Looks like we all have the same thing. What you have both described sounds the same as what I am finding. Didn't think they were a prob at first but now weeeevilllll have gone and plants are still being eaten I am beginning to think they are. They have attacked everything at some point (I even had to cut my mint right down to get rid of them off that). They start off like lillylover says but I have found really big ones too, esp around really eaten plants. Keep me informed if you manage to overcome the prob somehow.

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

5:20 PM - Oct 23, 2003 #9

Me too! I had these things on my washingtonia when I brought it indoors for winter, but there were only a few. Just sprayed them with water, 6-7 drops of washing up liquid in it. All gone. (I hope). Would like to know what they are though.
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
greengarry
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

7:54 PM - Oct 24, 2003 #10

So Salli, you think water and washing up liquid has done the trick?? Will perhaps give it a try then. About 3 to 4 drops to a pint of water???

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

5:39 AM - Oct 25, 2003 #11

Well, haven't seen any sign of them since. It was about 6-7 drops of w up liquid in a 1 litre spray bottle of warmish water.
Good luck.
xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx