Sudden Oak Death

DeeDee571
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
DeeDee571
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

3:32 PM - Mar 02, 2004 #1

This disease has been identified in a number of plants at Heligan Gardens, DEFRA are advising that all affected plants are destroyed and burnt, that means a huge number of Rhododendrons (which are thought to be hosts to the fungus), as well as conifers and evergreen oakswill be removed - it is not thought to be a danger to our native oak, and it is belived to have been endemic in Cornish gardens for very many years. It means that large parts of this garden will be decimated, Heligan are against this.
What are your views - who is right Heligan or DEFRA.
Just as an aside the conference on this is being held at St Austell Brewery - does this smack of a 'jolly'?

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

4:54 PM - Mar 02, 2004 #2

Sorry ,DeeDee, I don't know enough about the disease to weigh in .
I will be watching this thread with great interest .
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

cwmhill
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub
cwmhill
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

6:25 PM - Mar 02, 2004 #3

I fully agree with Heligan disagreeing with DEFRA, you only have to look at DEFRA record with the foot & mouth they killed 1000s of animals which did not even have it in the first place, people who run Heligan surely no more about whats going on than any DEFRA person, DEFRA, they are just a body of has beens who never could make it in the real world so gone for a easy well payed job that they need to no nothing about. Nature will look after its own, like the people from the south west will look after Sudden Oak Death problem and solve it in there own way
cwm
CWM

jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
jo m 1
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

8:31 PM - Mar 02, 2004 #4

what IS it about Defra & their obsession with burning diseased things???? It was probably all the funeral pyres that helped spread the foot & mouth epidemic in the first place
Not an ounce of gumption between them.
having said that - anything that helps get rid of a few thousand b****y leylandii, can't be totally bad
jo
ps - can't believe I've just agreed with the Welsh Wizard Look out for flying pigs, folks

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

12:44 AM - Mar 03, 2004 #5

cemarin.ucdavis.edu/treat_manage%20update%202003.html
I'm still reading about the disease - it may take a few to sink in so don't be surprised when I pop up in a day or so with a whole bunch of questions
For those who are like me and not familiar , the link above is a site on how California is dealing with it .
It seems this is a relatively new disease for us .
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

8:15 AM - Mar 03, 2004 #6

Thanks for the link Theresa. I don't know enough about Sudden Oak Death to know whether I agree with Heligan or DEFRA. But I hope DEFRA are not in danger of another "shoot first ask questions later" episode.
I heard a farmer on Countryfile say that over 8000 farms in the UK had had their livestock unnecessarily culled over F&M.

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

Peter Helton
Seedling
Seedling

10:44 AM - Mar 03, 2004 #7

Don't know much about sudden oak death; can't stand Rhododendrons but Just as well DEFRA are not in charge of hospitals, the way they like their bonfires...PETER

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

2:08 PM - Mar 03, 2004 #8

@ Peter H.
Salli and all from what I understand in how California is handling it for now -
they are advising not to plant host plants near the trees the disease would effect.
They also made a few interesting points- in that not all trees would die from this disease and that dead trees were invaluable for wildlife habitat as well.
Now nothing was said on whether or not the pests themselves could carry this disease .Does anybody know if this is possible ?
The other thing I am curious about as I saw mentioned - Sudden Oak disease is a relative of the disease that cause the Irish potato famine .
Is this an issue ? Would it have the same scope ?
More coffee , a good wake up , and off to read some more.

DeeDee571
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
DeeDee571
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

3:41 PM - Mar 03, 2004 #9

Hi Theresa,
It seems that California is being very sensible about this - I doubt that DEFRA will take a similar line. The media here is as bad. They were going on about how it kill Oak Trees - yes but not The English Oak, only the evergren oaks, none of which is native to Britain - so it unlikely to decimate out landscape the way that Dutch Oak disease did. Having said that I'm not trying to say it's not a threat.
The fungus that causes the disease is Phytophthora ramorum and yes it is a relative of Potato blight Phytophthora infestans. It's not likely to attack any food crops, as most fungus are fairly host specific.

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

3:49 PM - Mar 03, 2004 #10

Then for what it is worth , my vote goes to Heligan.
It seems to me Defra is much like a mother trying to keep her child in a bubble wrap to protect it from the big bad world.
Destroy the "enemy" - figure out why later .
I too am impressed with California's handling .It seems to me they are giving a great deal of thought to all aspects .
And they were quick to point out not all trees being infected are dying.
The more I read , the more impressed I am.
Thanks for the "big words" ,DeeDee. I can understand them when I am reading but can not remember them for nothing -
I need a memory upgrade
have to settle for more coffee for now .