Succulent? What type?

Whether you're planning a garden makeover or want to know how to prune a plant, this is the place to ask your questions. If you prefer to just search for your answer, why not scroll down this page to our Reference Library? This is an archive of thousands of previous posts, conveniently sorted into categories.

Succulent? What type?

May 14th, 2018, 12:37 pm #1

Hi! I don't know if this is the right forum where to ask this, but I couldn't find anything more suitable for my Q. Everywhere I wanted to post, it said you don't have enough permission etc. And Im kind of new here... So, my mom has this plant and I would love to have one myself but I have no idea if this is a succulent and then what type and how to propagate it. Please, help me if you can!
Thank you :)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

May 14th, 2018, 3:00 pm #2

I expect you were trying to post in archive forums, but you've found the right place now. Welcome to RG.

The name escapes me for the moment but hopefully someone will come along shortly with more functioning brain cells who can advise you.

May 14th, 2018, 3:40 pm #3

Thank you!

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

May 14th, 2018, 9:03 pm #4

The name escapes me at the moment but regarding propagation, you have 3 choices.
1. Cut of a couple of stems and stand them in water for a few days then pot up into potting compost
2   Fill a small pot with potting compost and remove a few leaves fron the bend in a couple of stems, put them into the compost and cover, leaving them attached to the mother plant.
3  Cot a couple of the stems, remove the lower leaves and insert into a pot of potting compost.

If you look at the stems where they are bending you will see the start of roots showing on the stems.
a82ded4b9894cf78ec3f0b2b4b8db52f.jpg
Remember after inserting into potting compost you must water the new pot/s.
You could insert the new pot into a polythene bag for a few days to reduce the water loss from the cuttings.

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

May 15th, 2018, 12:15 am #5

Hi and 
leaves.gif
I can't be 100% sure but you could look up Dischidia. Taffys points for propagation seem spot on to me 

May 15th, 2018, 7:25 am #6

Thank you so much to you all! I appreciate a lot :)

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

May 15th, 2018, 2:00 pm #7

I'm afraid I don't go with Kitty on what it is,
My feeling is it's a Kalanchoe,  poss K.manginii
They like bright light. If grown in lower light levels they go leggy and tend to ramble like the plant you have shown.
One thing you can do if they get like that is to re pot into a pot just a very little bigger and bring the stems back into the pot so they can root around the pot and give you a more bushy plant, and grow it in better light when the stems have rooted in.

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

May 16th, 2018, 9:10 am #8

Taffy, I did say it could be. Kalanchoe is also a massive genus and the species manginii is similar, but I'm not sure. It tends to have red stems. It could be in flower now as it is spring. If it does flower we will know more. The interesting thing is that this plant has leaves on petioles,(stalks) that come off the the main stem which neither of our suggestions has. Mine was a quick suggestion so I'll do some more digging. Might not even be a succulent 

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

May 16th, 2018, 12:06 pm #9

As I had no gym this morning I've had a bit more time to look at the plant closely. I'm now wondering if it is Swedish Ivy  ( plectranthus verticillatus) Oddly it is neither an ivy or succulent but has succulent type leaves. If you put it into google images you might be able to match it. As for me that is the best I can do but I am going to check out my idea with a friend. If it is, when ripe  propagate by stem-tip cuttings at any time of year (look up softwood cuttings). You can prune young plants to get a bushier specimen. Good luck and get back to me if you think it isn't Swedish Ivy as I could use 'phone a friend' LOL

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

May 16th, 2018, 1:31 pm #10

Could be Kitty, it's one of those things that would be much easier if you were actualy looking at the plant.
Several of the Plectranthus go under the name of Swedish Ivy.
I'd still go with my way of propagating the plant.
I've grown various plectranthus and many of them have scented leaves if you touch or rub them, a few need crushing but that does nothing for the plant.
I seem to remember it having a square stem.

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

May 17th, 2018, 12:55 am #11

Taffy, it's often hard IDing a plant from a single photo. As you say better to see it in the flesh, (so to speak) or several photos as there are so many variables to take into consideration. I went down the succulent line as that was what was suggested until I took a closer look, and decided to consider other plants. Trouble is I don't know if I'm correct GIPB isn't sure but I did find this which accounts for the idea it was a succulent " Swedish ivy is an easy-to-grow houseplant with few problems, great for beginners or those that don’t have time to fuss with plants.  The bright green, scalloped-edged leaves are on trailing succulent vines, making this a common hanging basket plant for indoors" As you know in botany things aren't always what they seem to be and are often re classified. The simplest being... how many people think a tomato is a vegetable 

Foxcub
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
Foxcub
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

May 17th, 2018, 8:47 am #12

Pretty sure its Swedish Ivy, I've grown these for years, they are a really easy plant to grow indoors, they grow quickly and root really well from cuttings.
TESS

She who plants a garden plants happiness

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

May 18th, 2018, 8:45 am #13

Thanks foxcub