Snow Gum Eucalyptus Niphophila

slicky
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
slicky
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

4:17 PM - Jul 27, 2003 #1

I bought the snow gum about 8 weeks ago and all OK at first but all the leaves are turning yellowy and red and dropping off. New shoots on end of branches though. Went to garden centre today and the two they have left are doing the same in the pots. Mine is in the ground , They say lack of water but I am sure that is not the case with mine. Do you think it will still live if it loses all its leaves
Slicky

Plantsman.e
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
Plantsman.e
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

4:42 PM - Jul 27, 2003 #2

That is a lovely tree; the bark has been likened to a Python's skin and with justification I would say.
It is Eucalyptus pauciflora subspecies niphophila
What I would guess has happened here is that it has in fact been too dry but earlier than the date you purchased it. You must keep it damp at the roots and lightly shaded for the rest of the summer. But don't do more than keep the soil damp because it will not be functioning normally if it looses leaves and will be taking up little water. Beyond that, I don't see what more you can do. It is certainly a good sign if there are new shoots and next spring you may have to consider some careful pruning to reshape the tree if it has lost any wood.

www.pdaw.fsnet.co.uk

slicky
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
slicky
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

6:24 PM - Jul 27, 2003 #3

Peter
Many thanks for that information. The garden centre gives a guarantee on its shrubs and trees and like you say I think the damage was done prior to me buying the tree. It is a very young tree, unfortuantly it is in a bed in my south facing garden so shade is hard to come by. Do you think I should give it a chance even if all the leaves fall off or would I be better taking it back ? The bark looks healthy enough but it will look strange without leaves
Slicky

Plantsman.e
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
Plantsman.e
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

6:59 PM - Jul 27, 2003 #4

Regarding the nursery I think the best you can do is go back and repeat the situation to the manager reminding him of their guarantee and pointing out that the same thing is happening to theirs - as you said in your previous e-mail. So, as they suggested dryness, it must have occurred before you purchased. And if they honor their guarantee you want your money back; it's no use accepting another when theirs are showing the same effect.

www.pdaw.fsnet.co.uk

8:50 PM - Jul 27, 2003 #5

Hi Slicky,
I agree with Peters coments, but there is one other thing of note to watch for, with many of the Eucalypts, if they get pot bound in any way before they are planted out they seldom produce good trees.
You say it was a very young tree, thats good, they should ideally be very small when they are planted, but if the roots of your plant were in any way potbound then I doubt it will ever make a really good tree, and if it does grow it may still have a weak root system and so could be blown down easily as it matures.
AJ

slicky
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
slicky
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

9:21 PM - Jul 27, 2003 #6

Many thanks for your comments AJ and Peter, Dont know whether to dig it up and look at roots to check !!! I am upset because I must admit I am very green fingered and rarely lose a plant or tree as my soil is good (now) and I do everything that I should with planting and caring . The garden centre is a very good one and my other young trees from there are fine. I am going to think about this one for a few days before I give up on this lovely snow gum.
Slicky