Scotia (Hollyhocks)

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

3:39 PM - Aug 19, 2003 #1

" src="http://www.realgardeners.co.uk/images/smileys/hello.gif"> - I have a question . I was reading your info on
Hollyhocks on your website and I noticed you had grow as an annual.

Now I'm confused.

Being in zone 5 USA , hollyhocks here are biennial . The first year I get foliage , the second year I get blooms .Then the plant dies.Any I have for the next
year is only from the seed.

Are they perennial for you and do they bloom first year ?

Theresa
Last edited by wannabegardener on 3:11 PM - Mar 02, 2008, edited 1 time in total.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
scotia10
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

6:28 PM - Aug 19, 2003 #2

Good question!
Trying to keep me on my toes are you
Its all three really;
To explain the main reason for growing it as an annual is its susceptablity to rust.
In normal circumstances it would be grown as a bienneial as you say.
But I find if I sow it early enough under heated conditions I can push the growth along and get it to flower like an annual.
The perennial thing is, as it is with many so called biennials, they will carry on flowering annually providing you can keep them disease free.
That double variety I showed in the forum has been flowering for years, the pale pink one has been grown as a biennial, so I don't know how long I am likely to keep that, only time will tell.
Does that answer your question?

Scotia
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
wannabegardener
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

7:14 PM - Aug 19, 2003 #3

Enough to know I am going back to your site and reading more . I love the idea of being able to have them bloom the first year .
As you say , that eliminates a lot of the disease issues.
For me , it means I can have the color and look I want in my garden the first year in half the space.
As it is , I have to allow for growing room for next years' blooms as well as room to grow this year .
I'm not so concerned with keeping the same plant for years .It hasn't ever been difficult for me to grow from seed . Hollyhocks or Echinacea I've always had good success with .
Yep, I sure do like that first year bloom idea .
Thanks , Scotia. Be prepared - now that children are in school and I have quiet time, I'm sure I'll have more questions.Theresa
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.