Schizanthus

Pondlace
Seedling
Seedling
Pondlace
Seedling
Seedling

3:24 AM - Mar 30, 2004 #1

I went to a nursery and found a plant I am unfamiliar with. It is a Schizanthus, sold as an annual. I am in zone 5. I "fell in love" with the plant and brought it home. The tag states it is tolerant more of colder weather than warm, like pansies. I was wondering, since it was so expensive, if I could keep it in a pot, put it outside while cool, bring it in during the hotter months and again before winter strikes. Can it live if treated like this or is it destined to live a season or two only? Any tips to keep it happy? I understand it is a heavy feeder.

Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

10:20 AM - Mar 30, 2004 #2

Schizanthus - Solonaceae - chile
Half hardy annual herb.
Outdoor Culture: Soil, ordinary rich.
Position, sunny beds or borders. Sow seed thinly in pots, pans or boxes filled with light soil and place in temp. 18-24C in February or March. Cover lightly with fine soil. Transplant seedlings when 2.5cm high to 4 in a 7cm pot, harden off in frame and plant out in May. Pinch to induce side growths.
Sow also similarly in August, transplant 3 in a 7cm pot and place on shelf in light airy greenhouse until following May, harden off then plant out.
Sow likewise outdoors end of April where required to grow.
Pot Culture: Compost, one part loam, half a part each of decayed manure and leaf-mould plus a little sand. Sow seed thinly in above compost in cool greenhouse or frame in August. Transplant seedlings single into 7cm pots and grow on shelf in greenhouse in temp. 8-13C until January, then transfer to 15cm pots and grow in light position. Water moderately in winter, freely other times. Apply weak stimulants occasionally while flowering. Support plants with canes. For later summer flowering sow seed in temp. 13-18C in February or March, transplanting when 2.5cm high to 7cm pots, then into 13cm pots.
I grew this very attractive plant for civic decorations and always found it to be more useful as a pot grown subject than an annual bedding one.
Peter

Pondlace
Seedling
Seedling
Pondlace
Seedling
Seedling

12:02 AM - Mar 31, 2004 #3

Sure wasn't a cheap "orchid" compared to other annuals! I picked a lavender color and will try to keep it going in a pot as you have suggested. They aren't very widespread here. Thank you for your comments!

Pondlace
Seedling
Seedling
Pondlace
Seedling
Seedling

12:53 AM - Apr 01, 2004 #4

I have just found out that my Mom has just bought herself one. I don't know what color it is, hopefully a different one than mine. I will try to start some by seed! Thank you!

Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

4:37 PM - Apr 02, 2004 #5

Peter

Pondlace
Seedling
Seedling
Pondlace
Seedling
Seedling

3:28 AM - Apr 03, 2004 #6

I need to start my own seed for a variety of my plants! I haven't had the right place set up yet because my cats just love the tender shoots! I don't have a greenhouse to make it easy. I dream about someday though... Some time ago, I tried to start seed in a few flats, didn't work so well. I over or under watered, then they didn't get the right light at the right time, was always something. You all make it sound so simple!

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

8:27 AM - Apr 03, 2004 #7

You could try a little plastic "tent" greenhouse Pondlace. They work well and are inexpensive. I know Wanna found them without a problem on your side of the pond. I like my 2-tier one better than the 4-tier one cos I can lift it in and out of the house onto the patio as necessary.
A coldframe would also enable you to grow a wide variety of plants. Lots of plants are really easy from seed, you should try - you'll save a fortune and have some fun into the bargain

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

Pondlace
Seedling
Seedling
Pondlace
Seedling
Seedling

3:13 PM - Apr 03, 2004 #8

Sounds like a great idea. I will definitely look into it.
Thanks, Sal