markleic26
Seedling
Seedling
markleic26
Seedling
Seedling

3:30 PM - Feb 19, 2004 #1

Hello, Im new.
I have a small lawn which I grew from seed 5 years ago. Last year, I noticed several large patches of rough grass (thicker blades), Last year I tried cutting the patches right back serval times, and I also noticed that some shoots were growing sideways about 4-5" some of them are.
Is there anything that I can do, rather than digging them out and re-seeding the patches.
Also I do regularly rake the lawn to lift the roots which grow side ways, before I mow. I have fields not too far away which they grow hay so I suspect it came from there.
Also is it too early give the lawn a good rake and mow it slightly
Thanks if anyone can help

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

3:36 PM - Feb 19, 2004 #2

and Mark. I'm not sure of the best way to tackle your rough grass areas, someone will be along to help you shortly. But, no, it's not too early to mow or rake the grass provided it's dry enough.

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

5:20 PM - Feb 19, 2004 #3

Trouble with grass is, the more you cut it the thicker it grows.
The tougher areas of grass you have are a much more robust strain of grass than the lawn grasses. If you are set on a really nice smooth, even lawn, I would say dig out and reseed, or patch.

trevor211
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
trevor211
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

6:39 PM - Feb 19, 2004 #4

I have found the best way to deal with course grass is to chop it with a hedging iron, in the shape of #and it slowly dies.
Trevor

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

6:40 PM - Feb 19, 2004 #5

What's a hedging iron Trevor? Scuse my ignorance.

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

OldJake1
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
OldJake1
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

7:34 PM - Feb 19, 2004 #6

Yes, I hack the coarse stuff with an old kitchen knife. Although no expert, it used to be reckoned that the reason the encroachment of coarse grasses was due to not keeping the grass mown frequently enough, but whether that is the true reason I wouldn't wouldn't know.

Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree
Laurel360
Established Tree
Established Tree

7:50 PM - Feb 19, 2004 #7

Mark
I'm no expert (at any level) on lawns - but I'm sorry to say that it sounds like you have couch grass. If so, that is horrible stuff. Think it will be difficult to dig it out becase of the roots. A friend has the same problem and she is going to have everything taken out by contractors and start again.
Someone more knowledgeable will be along.......
Oh, and Laurel

Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual
Plantsman64
Flowering Annual
Flowering Annual

8:17 PM - Feb 19, 2004 #8

Knowing the tenacity of grass I'm surprised that any amount of cutting with a knife or edging iron (half moon) would eradicate. I would certainly gather up all the surface stolons -and it reads like a stoloniferous species, lift out the offending patch, whole, fill with fresh soil and re-seed. Alternatively if you can spare an out of the way section of the same lawn you can patch the resulting gaps. Do this as soon as the grass gets going strongly in March April.Peter

markleic26
Seedling
Seedling
markleic26
Seedling
Seedling

9:56 PM - Feb 19, 2004 #9

Thanks guys for your replies, I think I will dig the patches out and re-seed them when the time is right. They arent a real problem, but when water is on the lawn they really do stick out

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

9:39 AM - Feb 20, 2004 #10

If they are small patches you need, you can grow them in seed trays - put the seeds between 4-5 layers of wet kitchen roll and cover with about 1cm compost. Keep moist until they germinate. Trim the grass with scissors when it reaches the top of the seed tray. Then just lay the patches into your lawn after digging out the rough grass and preparing the surface soil. I've tried this - it works

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx

markleic26
Seedling
Seedling
markleic26
Seedling
Seedling

10:51 AM - Feb 20, 2004 #11

Thats a great idea thank you, and its something I can sow now and put in the lawn in a few weeks time. So do i not put a base of compost in the tray?

salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree
salli c
Established Tree
Established Tree

7:36 PM - Feb 20, 2004 #12

Mark
Knew I had a piccie somewhere

Put about 3 layers of kitchen towel in (preferably in one length) and soak it.
Sprinkle the seed over.
Cover with layer of compost and then lay 3 layers of soggy kitchen paper over the top.
(I lifted it up in the piccie to see what was happening underneath, but if you just leave it, it will grow through the soggy paper.)
You must keep it moist. Some of mine failed cos they dry out very quickly. A sheet of glass or some cling film over the top of the trays would help a lot.
I can't take the credit for this idea. It was recommended to me by SixFootDwarf, who I haven't seen around for a while - anyone heard from him

xx-Sal-xx

xx-Sal-xx