Rosemary Tree Dead?

thejamescraig
New Seed
New Seed

3:54 PM - Jun 13, 2018 #1

We have had a Rosemary Tree for 3 years now and it was one a strong bloomer. However, now it looks tired and fragile. I have attached pic of it but wondered if anything can be done to save it?
20180613_154251.jpg
20180613_154258.jpg
20180613_154251.jpg 20180613_154258.jpg

C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
C.A.
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

4:38 PM - Jun 13, 2018 #2

I must admit it certainly looks a bit sad. Personally I'd try rooting some cuttings. Not sure whether it has been over watered (which is what I tend to do) or under watered. I've got one in a pot and it's been there for at least 18 years and I keep expecting it to expire on me but its still going strong. I'm sure mine is in desperate need of a repot but I just never get round to it and think that it is so jammed in that I'd kill it in the process.

Someone a bit more enlightened than me may be a long shortly to give you some more optimistic advice.

Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial
Taffy
Herbaceous Perennial
Herbaceous Perennial

8:02 PM - Jun 13, 2018 #3

You have a couple of bits of growth on top and low down what look like some quite healthy sprigs.
I'd cut it hard back to the lower growth and take a chance, Water it WELL,  and feed it.
The couple of shoots on top could be tried as cuttings, and/or you could go to Tesco and buy a packet of fresh Rosemary , they are just the right size for cuttings, and as long as they are really fresh you have a fair chance of rooting some of them.
I suspect it didn't get enough water during this hot spell or got hit by the cold snap we had late winter.
It does look as if it's had a very hard life. If you can grow your rosemary in the soil it will do a lot better.
It often helps to know whee you are located, advice can be very different if you live in Cornwall at to living in North Scotland.

kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree
kitty58
Champion Tree
Champion Tree

8:53 AM - Jun 14, 2018 #4

Taffys' idea of going to Tescos, ( other supermarkets are available ;-) ), and getting some fresh cuttings. I think the most likely cause of death is it was pot bound and or has root rot. Turn out the plant and have a look. I have to say the branches seem brittle to me but one way to check if the plant is still alive  The stems of the plant should be pliable and firm and will have a green cast on the inside if they are still alive.

Foxcub
Plug Plant
Plug Plant
Foxcub
Plug Plant
Plug Plant

6:08 PM - Jun 14, 2018 #5

Rosemary does go leggy.  I always cut it hard back and take cuttings for new plants.
TESS

She who plants a garden plants happiness

SpideyTheGhost
Mature Shrub
Mature Shrub

1:56 PM - Jul 05, 2018 #6

Rosemary is pretty drought resistant, but not very cold resistant at all; I could never keep one for very long in either the UK or in Brussels. In my Greek garden it is, of course, a different matter - they get huge and try to take over, and flower several times a year. Not sure that it likes being a a pot though; I always grow it in soil.